Onkyo CR-725 Micro amp with Monitor BR2s?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I decided to get Onkyo CR-725 that outputs 50wpc (IEC) at 4ohms and had the (common) idea of pairing them with better speakers. From what I have read Monitor Bronze BR2s seem like as good as a choice as any. They are rated 100w RMS, 90db efficiency, and 6 ohm nominal impedance.

Here is my concern though. According to my guesstimate, the amp will output around 30-35 watts RMS at 6 ohms (is my approx math right?). The speakers have a recommended amp power range of 30-100watts. This matches the lowest end of the recommended range. Should I be concerned about clipping and damaging the speakers at higher volumes? I don't intend to throw big parties with this all the time but may want to occasionally turn it up.

On the flip side, the amp is rated at THD 0.08% which as I see is a fairly low figure, compared to other micro systems are have THDs around 0.5%. Moreover, even if the amp clips and doubles the wattage, 60-65 watts are still under 100w ability of the speakers. To their credit, the speakers will be easier to run (than comparable 4 ohm speakers) since they have higher nominal resistance and are fairly efficient.

As you see I have arguments both ways so any light you can shed would be appreciated. I could also settle for Monitor BR1s that are rated 70w with a recommended amp output range of 15-70wpc.

Additionally, what do you think of Onkyo Cr-725DAB system? I know CR-515 has won the awards here and the 725 looks only better and is available for 270 quid.

A

Anonymous

If the functionality of the Onkyo suits you then adding a Musical Fidelity "Supercharger" will reduce the chances of clipping.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
should be fine if used sensibly although i wouldn't turn up to high - you may prefer how it sounds with the br1s - thay are very good speakers - same tweeter just slightly smaller bass cone and are rear ported as opposed to front - i use a piar with my fatman carbon and really enjoy the sound

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts