Onkyo A-9050 + Q Acoustics 2050i

GeorgeQ

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

Since my wallet is not that fat in this period :mad: , i am thinking about buying this amplifier - as an emergency solution - to pair it with my Q Acoustics 2050i (Yamaha A-S300 is killing me,,, :wall: ). Any ideas about this combination? (the nearest dealer is 400km from me, so "hear it with your own ears" solution is not prossible in my case). I am going to use the bass/treble/loudness options (a lot) and i saw that Onkyo have some very nice tone corrections (at least on paper: +- 14db)

In a group test, WHF advice users to combine the Onkyo A-9050 with "the more refined sound of Q Acoustics 2020i standmounters". Should i understand that this statement is true with 2050i too? I am thinking that, since 2050i are a little too polite (as stated in WHF review), A-9050 could open them up a little bit.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

George

KidKomet

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Whilst I don't have a lot of hands-on experience with either combination, I have found that Yamaha typically has a smoother and relaxed sound whereas the Onkyo stuff I've owned in the past (Currently a 616) has been the polar oppsite. Very lively and in your face. The difference might not be so night and day to you but I'd definitely be prepared for change if you buy blind (Which is something I'd never recommend, no matter how great reviews might be).

GeorgeQ

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your answer, KidKomet

I can always send it back in 30days if i really don't like it. I know Onkyo's sound is total oposite to Yamaha's. I was thinking that maybe somebody have some experience with 2050i+A-9050.

In my oppinion, A-s300 is too smooth for 2050i's. Also, maybe the BIGGEST disappointment is that after only 6 months, the silver paint from the (plastic) buttons, has washed away. Good job Yamaha. |(

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
GeorgeQ said:
Hi all,

Since my wallet is not that fat in this period :mad: , i am thinking about buying this amplifier - as an emergency solution - to pair it with my Q Acoustics 2050i (Yamaha A-S300 is killing me,,, :wall: ). Any ideas about this combination? (the nearest dealer is 400km from me, so "hear it with your own ears" solution is not prossible in my case). I am going to use the bass/treble/loudness options (a lot) and i saw that Onkyo have some very nice tone corrections (at least on paper: +- 14db)

In a group test, WHF advice users to combine the Onkyo A-9050 with "the more refined sound of Q Acoustics 2020i standmounters". Should i understand that this statement is true with 2050i too? I am thinking that, since 2050i are a little too polite (as stated in WHF review), A-9050 could open them up a little bit.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

George

It depends.

Primarily about what the issue is, sound wise. In reality, two inexpensive integrated amps from different manufacturers are not going to be very different in terms of capability.

Sure the presentation is going to be different, more forward/less forward, more bass/less bass but swapping one for the other is not really going to get you closer to the music.

If you are going to change the amplifier my advice would be to try something rather different, it will cost more money sure, but maybe a real difference in performance.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Not sure the Onkyo is going to be the answer. If I were you I would look around for some used amps. see what is available and then come back here. Tone controls are not everything.

GeorgeQ

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
The main reason why i need tone controls is that i arrive home very late - around 20 o'clock - and it's not possible to go loud (crazy neighbors). When i want to listen a little louder (during weekends), i must crank up the volume until around 1-2 o'clock and i find it unacceptable...

davedotco, as i said, this would be only an emergency solution, until spring 2014. But anyway, i am willing to pay around 1000 euro for a good amplifier (with tone controls). Do you guys have any suggestion? I have read a lot of your posts ( davedotco ) and i find the one regarding the new amplifier's power supplies, adequately explained.

BigH, this could be a solution too. The thing is that i can buy the Onkyo at around 200 euro, normal price beeing 400 (at least in my country).

I will try some used ones too, won't be a problem. A friend of mine have an old Yamaha A-1020 in perfect condition (at least visual). I am waiting for him to come home for Christmas, so i can give it a try...

Cheers

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
GeorgeQ said:
The main reason why i need tone controls is that i arrive home very late - around 20 o'clock - and it's not possible to go loud (crazy neighbors). When i want to listen a little louder (during weekends), i must crank up the volume until around 1-2 o'clock and i find it unacceptable...

davedotco, as i said, this would be only an emergency solution, until spring 2014. But anyway, i am willing to pay around 1000 euro for a good amplifier (with tone controls). Do you guys have any suggestion? I have read a lot of your posts ( davedotco ) and i find the one regarding the new amplifier's power supplies, adequately explained.

BigH, this could be a solution too. The thing is that i can buy the Onkyo at around 200 euro, normal price beeing 400 (at least in my country).

I will try some used ones too, won't be a problem. A friend of mine have an old Yamaha A-1020 in perfect condition (at least visual). I am waiting for him to come home for Christmas, so i can give it a try...

Cheers

I understand that you need a little eq for low level listening but what is the issue at louder levels?

Given the sensitivity, why do you need to turn the amp up so high and what is it about the sound that you find 'unacceptable'.

Is the Yamaha really so bad you can not live with if for another couple of months?

van Rockagne

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Hello George,

my advice would be to try to chance the acoustic in your room. Try to place speaker in corner, closer to each other , closer to the wall, away from wall.

are the speakers on spikes? And wired correctly.

then tell us what music you prefer. And what is the music source, LP,Cd, MP3 etc. I think a different amp in same budget group won't make a big difference. Maybe only amps with source direct.

i had an experience; when cd's came up my neighbor removed all his records from his cabinet. To make some room for his cd's. We'll we both could hear the difference in sound in his room. Later he found out it was his cabinet. So cd's out and pillows in then the cd's back in. I could not hear the difference with the first situation , but he could. Later his records we back to it's old place.

Keep us updateted.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
van Rockagne said:
Hello George,

my advice would be to try to chance the acoustic in your room. Try to place speaker in corner, closer to each other , closer to the wall, away from wall.

are the speakers on spikes? And wired correctly.

then tell us what music you prefer. And what is the music source, LP,Cd, MP3 etc. I think a different amp in same budget group won't make a big difference. Maybe only amps with source direct.

i had an experience; when cd's came up my neighbor removed all his records from his cabinet. To make some room for his cd's. We'll we both could hear the difference in sound in his room. Later he found out it was his cabinet. So cd's out and pillows in then the cd's back in. I could not hear the difference with the first situation , but he could. Later his records we back to it's old place.

Keep us updateted.

See vinyl always sounds better...... :rockout:

GeorgeQ

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
It's not really about the sound quality, more about the power, the ability to move some air with the Q's and A-s300 it's not that kind of amplifier.

Regarding the headphones, i have a pair of Sennheiser HD 598.

@ van Rockagne: as i already said, i am not complaining about the SQ. I am using my Xonar D2 / Lossless / Foobar2000 / ASIO. I am listening to a lot of music types, from classical, pop, 80s disco, 90s eurodance to rock and jazz.

Thank you all for your help, i will keep you updated. :wave:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts