onkyo 9.2

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
onkyo are to release a 9.2 reciver it will be thx and will sell at £1300 im not sure of the model number but it will be on sale this year.im gussing the two extra speakers will be front speakers to sit above L+R.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Hmmm, 9.2...

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong but does anyone think this is beginning to go the way of shaving razors - look, the new Gillette Icosi razor has 20 blades to ensure your face is cut to ribbons, plus 3 razors on the handle to simultaneously shave the hairy man's fingers...

Honestly, I love my home cinema but I still have 5.1, might consider 7.1 at some point, but in a room that's barely more than 15 square foot, do I really need 9 speakers and 2 subwoofers? I'm pretty sure my neighbours don't...

And given the lack of support for 7.1 on most discs, what's the chances of there ever being soundtracks which feature a 9.2 soundtrack?

A

Anonymous

professorhat:
Hmmm, 9.2...

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong but does anyone think this is beginning to go the way of shaving razors - look, the new Gillette Icosi razor has 20 blades to ensure your face is cut to ribbons, plus 3 razors on the handle to simultaneously shave the hairy man's fingers...

Honestly, I love my home cinema but I still have 5.1, might consider 7.1 at some point, but in a room that's barely more than 15 square foot, do I really need 9 speakers and 2 subwoofers? I'm pretty sure my neighbours don't...

And given the lack of support for 7.1 on most discs, what's the chances of there ever being soundtracks which feature a 9.2 soundtrack?

Couldn't agree with you more. On every point.

Be nice just to see more properly mastered 7.1 content.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
The new range will be the 1007, 3007 and 5007 as well as a processor. There is a news item on this site about them. 9.2 is not for everyone but the steering on the amp can make it worthwhile in a dedicated room.

The height channels are useful if you have a large screen and a tiered seating arrangement. In the Yamaha Z11 where 11.2 is an option as well as other amps the ability to "lift" the centre speaker so that it comes from the screen is particularly good if you do not wish to go for a transparent screen. Two subs are great and I would go as far as to say essential in larger rooms. 5.2 or 7.2 is a common configuration.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Fumanchu:Hmmm... Think i'll stick to 2.1 :)

backtomono-200x200.jpg

A

Anonymous

The 9.2 is for Audyessy's "full fat" DSX setup adding 4 more front speakers, 2 Height, 2 Width. but as I understand does not run the 2 surrond back chennels (otherwise this would be 11.2).

Apparantly they carried out a study in which they concluded, that due to the way we hear sound and the fact that our ears point forward, this is where the best use of additional channels would be heard and the surrond back benefits are minimal.

I have a standard 7.1 setup at the moment, with a new denon AVR1910, which does not have the DSX, but does have the Dolby version, PL IIzH.

I tried disconnecting my surround backs yesterday, after reading an artical on the AVR4310, and using the 2 height speakers instead.

This is only my personal opinion of course, but this made a lot of difference in 5.1 sound tracks, be it the lossy or the HD versions. The sound up front was so much more 3 dimensional and detailed.

I really did not notice the back surrond channels where missing, funny as it took me a while to get my wife's permission to intall them.

I will be over the next few days, removing my (in ceilings) surrond back channels and purchasing 2 front L/R speakers so my current front (in ceiling s) can be be used as the front height.

I surpose it comes down too, trying it for your self to see if you think it is of benefit, whether you can fit them in and in my case whether your partner has got to the point where she can't be bothered protesting to more speakers turning up in her lounge.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
markjaspi: The 9.2 is for Audyessy's "full fat" DSX setup adding 4 more front speakers, 2 Height, 2 Width. but as I understand does not run the 2 surrond back chennels (otherwise this would be 11.2).

Huh? 7 plus 2x height equals 9 surely?

Or are you saying you'd have standard L+R front, L+R front wide and L+R Height?

A

Anonymous

Yes spot on, my set up is, no surround back at all, 5 up front, 2 surrounds.

The Audyessy website has a nice little picture, where the 9.1 version, which has 7 up front, 2 surrounds.

I think you can swap the 2 back for either the Front Height L&R or Front Width L&R, if the amplifier allows these to be assignable, I don't know if the new Onkyo's allow this or like my AVR1910 and the AVR2310/3310/4310 you get to choose one or the other, but not all, as you would need an amp with 11 independant driven channels, I assume.

have a look here: www.audyssey.com/technology/dsx.html

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
TheHomeCinemaCentre:
The new range will be the 1007, 3007 and 5007 as well as a processor. There is a news item on this site about them. 9.2 is not for everyone but the steering on the amp can make it worthwhile in a dedicated room.

The height channels are useful if you have a large screen and a tiered seating arrangement. In the Yamaha Z11 where 11.2 is an option as well as other amps the ability to "lift" the centre speaker so that it comes from the screen is particularly good if you do not wish to go for a transparent screen. Two subs are great and I would go as far as to say essential in larger rooms. 5.2 or 7.2 is a common configuration.

So, not that useful to 99.9999999% of the population who don't happen to have a tiered seating arrangement!

A

Anonymous

Prof, I agree with you in a way, when I first heard of DSX and PLIIzH, I thought it was just a marketing tatic to make you buy a new amp or speakers.

But when I read the review of the AVR4310 and what a difference the reviewer said these made, I thought I would have a listen, after all, it would only take me 20 mins to hook it up.

And to honest I now have a couple of Bose cubes, with visible wires everywhere, working as my main F/R until I can get to the shops to buy some better speakers, I am that reluctant to set them back to my old setup.

I am even sending my wife out tomorrow night so I can give them a proper audition with the Dark Knight Blu Ray.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
7 up front? Huh...

I'll wait until the standard settles down a bit, I guess Tomlinson Holman's 10.2 system he demonstrated several years ago will be the next one to be taken up, what was his extra speaker? Top Centre wasn't it?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:
7 up front? Huh...

I'll wait until the standard settles down a bit, I guess Tomlinson Holman's 10.2 system he demonstrated several years ago will be the next one to be taken up, what was his extra speaker? Top Centre wasn't it?

Mmmmmm..... I shudder to think how 7 speakers will look dotted around a TV in a standard sized living room.

.... And people think that getting regular 5.1 past the Missus is tricky!!!

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
So, not that useful to 99.9999999% of the population who don't happen to have a tiered seating arrangement!

[/Pedant mode]More than 6 people have tiered seats in their room [/pedant mode]
emotion-2.gif

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
TheHomeCinemaCentre:

[/Pedant mode]More than 6 people have tiered seats in their room [/pedant mode]
emotion-2.gif

Good work there, I like what you did!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Big Chris:the_lhc:
7 up front? Huh...

Mmmmmm..... I shudder to think how 7 speakers will look dotted around a TV in a standard sized living room.

AWESOME!!!!

.... And people think that getting regular 5.1 past the Missus is tricky!!!

Mine's been pretty good about it, amazingly, when I gave her the option of getting a white stand for the TV, to match the wall behind it (and thus make it less visible), she even said, "No, the TV's black, you might as well get a stand to match." I was amazed, although I quite liked the idea of a white stand to make the TV look like it was floating!

She keeps turning her nose up when I mention the additional rear speakers though, she might go for the front height speakers though, if they were in the ceiling, they wouldn't be too visible then.

I've got black standmount speakers on black stands (and I gave her the option of silver on those as well, she said no again!) and she's perfectly happy with them. I might even get away with black speakers next time round as well, which is good, cos they're cheaper!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts