Onkyo 875 vs. Audiolab 800AV/X7

if...

Nov 21, 2007
Visit site
Dear All at What HiFi Forums

HELP!!!!

Do I buy an up to date (sound-wise) Onkyo 875 or an older (but potentially better quality) Audiolab 8000AV/X7 processor / power amp. combination. I know the Onkyo will have the HD audio sound formats whereas the Audiolab will only do vanilla DD / DTS but I like the idea of separates and the Audiolab can be had for the same price as the Onkyo. My thinking is that, in time I could add a more uptodate processor (when the likes of Arcam and Rotel etc. get round to it) and still use the Audiolab amplifier.

Any opinions - I would be parnering with Arcam DV139 and a PS3 for Blu-ray.

Cheers!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Well, for what it's worth I slotted an 875 into my system in place of a TAG AVR32bp192/100X5r:10, on which the Audiolabs are based, just to see what it could do.

That was three months ago. It's still there...

A

Anonymous

I just upgraded to an 8000AV/X7 combo and am very pleased with it. The problem with the big integrateds like Onkyo and Yamaha produce is that they are not upgradeable, so you are always ditching the whole thing to get the latest and greatest sound format (assuming you need it).

The X7 is based, as Andrew has said, on the TAG 700:7R (or whatever it was called), and is a very good amp.

The 8000AV will be able to accept a decoded HD signal through it's 5.1 analogue inputs. Of course this relies on the decoding built into the player. - Edit, just noticed the PS3 as HD player, not sure if this decodes or not.

As you've said you can always buy a new processor in the future. The Audiolab 8000AP is now available, although no HD decoding, but you probably have to ask your self one question.....

.... no, not "Do I feel lucky?", but, in your sitting room, with all your sofas, curtains, carpets, books etc, do you really think you will hear the difference between the DD/DTS and the new HD codecs? - I suspect not. I don't believe the jump in sound is the same as the one from Prologic to DD/DTS

FWIW, I could not discern any obvious difference between HD audio and vanilla DD at the Bristol Show in Feb of this year when I went to the WHF demo.

Just my twopenneth.

A

Anonymous

>>I could not discern any obvious difference between HD audio and vanilla DD at the Bristol Show

Interesting observations, Mr_Orange. I sometimes wonder whether a very good DD/DTS Amp such as the Arcam AVR350 would sound inferior to an Onkyo605 or even 875 playing full HD audio. Is it not the same as with tellies? More pixels don't always make a better picture, I was told!

Gorge

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
I'd suggest an AVR350 playing DD/DTS would sound inferior to an 875 playing DD/DTS, based on personal experience.

[/quote]

An interesting comment Andrew. Since the DD/DTS codecs have been around for so long, I imagine that the decoding chip manufacturers would have perfected them by now, so would a newer amp really play back a DD/DTS soundtrack better than an older (the AVR350 isn't that old) one?

Or are you hinting at the fact that Arcam's receivers tend to major on their musicality and not quite so much on the surround duties?

A

Anonymous

I think what andrew is saying that the onkyo is a better amp. Period!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts