Onkyo 609 - Sony Bravia TV question

sdfbailey

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

Forgive me, I'm a bit of a novice at this sort of thing.

I have the following:

- Onkyo 609 AV amp.

- Sony Bravia 40" KDL-40NX713 Display.

I watch TV (my BT Vision box is connected to the amp) via the amp, which pumps sound beautifully to my Monitor Audio speakers.

The TV has some apps which will only work using "TV" mode, instead of via the HDMI connection. In particular, I want to use the Berlin Philharmonic app, and send the sound through my speakers.

Richer Sounds sold me an optical cable, telling me this should do it. I have connected to the amp and the "digital audio out" connection on the TV, told the TV to output sound to the speakers, but nothing happens.

Does anyone know how I can watch in "TV" mode, and push sound through my speakers? I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but I can't work out what!

Any assistance gratefully received! Thanks in advance.

:help:

SB

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Do you need to assign the optical input on the Onkyo, or does the input you've used say "TV"? (and of course you've selected "TV" as your source)

Also, you say you've told your TV to output sound to the speakers, but is it referring to the TV's own speakers? My TV is a lot older than yours, but in the set-up menu I had to turn the 'TV Speakers' setting to 'Off'.... And I had to ramp up the volume to max to match my other sources (BT Vision, Blu-Ray, games consoles, etc).

sdfbailey

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys. I've interpreted the "Output to speakers" to really mean, "output to AMP" - but perhaps I have made a mistake there.

How do I choose the input to be the digital audio cable? (That sounds like a dumb question, but I can't see an option on the remote?). Is this an option somewhere?

I'll have a play tonight and let you know how I get on.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Right.

This is taken from my older Onkyo, so if it doesn't exactly tie-in with what you're seeing, you'll have to make a best-guess assumption.

I hit the 'Setup' button on the remote.

Option 1 is 'Input/Output assign'.... Click 'Enter' on this.

Option 4 is 'Digital Input'.... Click 'Enter' on this.

Go down the list to whichever input you're using ('TV' is probably the most apt if you're not already using it for your BT Vision), using the direction knob in the centre of your remote (assuming it has one), press 'right' until you see the optical input you've plugged your optical cable into. If you can't remember and checking the back of your receiver is too awkward, select 'OPT1', try that, if it doesn't work repeat the process and try 'OPT2', etc, etc.

Any issues, just shout.

sdfbailey

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I'm shouting! :)

The settings you described exactly matched the 609's menus. I had played with this setting before, and the TV/CD setting was set to OPT2.

I've tried all other options (OPT1 / COAX1 / COAX2) and there's still no sound when I switch the TV to "TV", the TV's speaker preference to "Audio System", and set the amp to TV/CD mode.

I checked that the cables were fitted snuggly, and the optical cable is definitely in "OPT2" (which happens also to be labelled "TV/CD").

I remain confused!

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Okay on my panasonic tv (you will probably have something similer on your sony tv) i have viera link if i press the button on the remote, i have the option of hearing the sound from the tv or from a home cinema (optical link),

hope this helps.

sdfbailey

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I've found a similar mode on the Sony. When I'm watching via the amp I can switch between the TV's and the Amp's speakers, but when I point it to TV/CD mode, I can only use the TV's speakers.

andrew_cawood

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
In the amp menu you can usually change the inputs (so that if the default for TV/CD was originally OPT 2, you can still change it). I've managed to inadvertently do this before and couldn't work out why I got no sound on certain settings - if you haven't already, maybe check that it's still OPT 2.

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
You can use the audio return channel so connect hdmi from hdmi 1(arc) to the hdmi out on your onkyo amp the sony apps on sony entertainment network and the nbp use dolby digital pulse sound.then go into tv settings and activate hdmi control set it to on then do the same on the amp then the sound should come through. :)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
The HDMI protocol has, with version 1.4, implemented ARC, Audio Return Channel, which allows a device, such as a TV, to send audio the "wrong way" back down an HDMI cable to an amplifier (for instance). Therefore, as well as sending video from the amp to the TV you can also use the HDMI cable between the amp and TV to send the TV's audio back to the amp, to be played out through the amp's speakers.

You'll need to configure this on both the TV and the amp, so check your manuals, it should be straightforward enough.

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
The HDMI protocol has, with version 1.4, implemented ARC, Audio Return Channel, which allows a device, such as a TV, to send audio the "wrong way" back down an HDMI cable to an amplifier (for instance). Therefore, as well as sending video from the amp to the TV you can also use the HDMI cable between the amp and TV to send the TV's audio back to the amp, to be played out through the amp's speakers.

You'll need to configure this on both the TV and the amp, so check your manuals, it should be straightforward enough.

There you go,Thank you the_Lhc. :clap:

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
Big Chris said:
sonycentre said:
You can use the audio return channel so connect hdmi from hdmi 1(arc) to the hdmi out on your onkyo amp.

Well sure. He could do it that way. :?

:doh: :)

And your point Chris is?..just trying to help and get sick of the "being shot down in flames routine"...it's getting rather boring.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
sonycentre said:
Big Chris said:
sonycentre said:
You can use the audio return channel so connect hdmi from hdmi 1(arc) to the hdmi out on your onkyo amp.

Well sure. He could do it that way. :?

:doh: :)

And your point Chris is?..just trying to help and get sick of the "being shot down in flames routine"...it's getting rather boring.

I think Chris is shooting himself down in flames for not realising it was that simple (I didn't realise either until you mentioned it to be fair), rather than having a pop at you.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
You've taken it the wrong way. The :doh: and :) were meant to signify myself and a couple of others who overlooked the simplest way of doing it, which you came to the rescue (hopefully) with.

And if I've ever "shot you down in flames" before, it was unintended.

EDIT: Yep. The_Lhc got it!

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
Big Chris said:
You've taken it the wrong way. The :doh: and :) were meant to signify myself and a couple of others who overlooked the simplest way of doing it, which you came to the rescue (hopefully) with.

And if I've ever "shot you down in flames" before, it was unintended.

EDIT: Yep. The_Lhc got it!

No chris you have never shot me down in flames,its just sometimes seems to get a little stuffy on the forum you try and help and get negative responces. :)

sdfbailey

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your help everyone. It seems clear, I now just have to put the theory into practise!

It would have been nice if the optical cable worked though - that's 30 quid down the drain! :)

I'll let you know how I get on.

SB

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts