SO I have myself the following set-up

42 inch panasonic plasma

Mission 5.1 M-Cubes

Onkyo 605

running:

Apple tv2

Virgin Media HD box

PS3

all three of these run by HDMI into the back of the Onkyo 605 (The Apple tv2 & the PS3 run into a 2 to 1 hdmi auto switcher) as the 605 only has 2 hdmi inputs :(

And the Virgin HD box runs audio via an optical cable into the ONK too (in fact is this required??? I used to have sky where you had to run audio separately, but maybe Virgin doesnt require this??)

Other than the ONK occasionally behaving like a muppet in regards to hdmi autoswitching (I.e. sometimes it refuses to switch from Apple TV2 to my Virgin box even when force selected, it just switches straight back to Apple TV2, though I think this is due to Apple TV2 constant 'always on' streaming and doesn't always happen, so I can kind of live with it)

My question is ' Shall I upgrade, or not bother????

I'm thinking a straight trade, I dont need 3D or internet streaming or 7.1 or any of that crap, upscaling would be nice as the vast majority of my use

is through the Apple TV2 so quality is sometimes a bit poor, and a bump in quality woudl be good.

I'm thinking the Sony 820 or the Yam 373 ???? Ideally I'd like something passibly attractive, but I see from reasearch that AV receiver manufacturers are still steadfast in their belief that a heinous oversized crappy black box with nonscensible dot matix displays is still apparently what people really want.......(A choice of colours anyone!????, anyway I digress!)

SO to sum up, shall I bother upgrading???

Thanks guys! :p

bigdigger

Sep 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I just upgraded from the 605 to a Yamaha 673. Big difference in sound quality and features.

I would advise the 673, some good deals at the minute.

henxuk

Mar 2, 2009
Visit site
hmm had a quick look at it, it seems to offer a bunch of fairly useless stuff

intenet tuner for example, who bothers with radio these days?

maybe looking at teh Yam 373

chrisup

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi

I have Onkyo 905 and am delighted with it and have no intention to change. I prefer to spend the money on DVDs and Bluerays and enjoy them through my B&W 685 Theatre.

Best Wishes

Chris

T

the record spot

henxuk said:
hmm had a quick look at it, it seems to offer a bunch of fairly useless stuff

intenet tuner for example, who bothers with radio these days?

maybe looking at teh Yam 373

Well, rather a lot of people who buy network enabled amps...personally, I like the option of sifting through the channels and use it a fair bit on my Onkyo. Of course, there's a bit more to it than Radios 1, 2, 3 and 4 too...by a few thousand by all accounts.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts