Onebox Systems:- How much noticeable sound quality difference is there between these models ?

Snooker

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I am putting what I presume is the order of sound quality of these Onebox/Micro/Mini Systems based on what I have read on this website:-

DM37/DM38 £250

Marantz M-CR603 £500

Arcam Solo Mini £765

Arcam Solo or Neo £1300

Naim UnitiQuote £1425

Naim Uniti £2,500

I was just interested to know how much better each of these sounded going up the list in rough percentage terms if possible ?

(For example does the Arcam Solo Mini sound obviously/noticeably better than the Denon etc, etc)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The Denon is a great little unit, but it's not going to be as refined as the Arcam, to answer your question. The Marantz has the advantage of extra power over the Denon to help it drive better speakers (with audio streaming thrown in). I wouldn't say there was a vast difference between the Uniti and UnitiQute as they're from the same stable - again, the main difference here is power.

The problem is, it's hard to compare each of the units you have listed directly. If you use an ideal speaker for the DM38, say, MA BX2's, they'll not be revealing the quality on offer from the Arcam or Naim units. If you use a speaker ideal for the Naim units, the DM38 won't be driving them sufficiently for a meaningful comparison. So you have to accept that the speaker you hear the DM38 with, isn't going to sound as good as the speaker you'll hear the Naim with. Include the speaker as part of the package, and think of things that way.

A

Anonymous

I downgraded form Cyrus CD8SE, MF and ATC to a Denon M38DAB (to save our relationship with my new neighbours) and it's a fantastic little unit - really pleased with it.
smiley-cool.gif

Lo Fi

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I had the Marantz M-CR603 with MA BX2 speakers and it sounded very good.

I upgraded the speakers to MA RX1s and it sounded even better.

Recently I purchased the new Rega Brio R amplifier and Audiolab 8200CD player to use with the the MA RX1s and I could hear the improvement straight away, more punch, more dynamic, more detail.

I have kept the Marantz to use as a tuner FM/DAB and of course can connect it to the internet.

If I play a CD on the Marantz and the play it on the Audiolab I can hear the difference no doubt.

So to sum up the Marantz is very good but to a certain extent you only get what you pay for.

Obviousy if you have a mismatch this is not always true.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Lo Fi said:
I had the Marantz M-CR603 with MA BX2 speakers and it sounded very good.

I upgraded the speakers to MA RX1s and it sounded even better.

Recently I purchased the new Rega Brio R amplifier and Audiolab 8200CD player to use with the the MA RX1s and I could hear the improvement straight away, more punch, more dynamic, more detail.

I have kept the Marantz to use as a tuner FM/DAB and of course can connect it to the internet.

If I play a CD on the Marantz and the play it on the Audiolab I can hear the difference no doubt.

So to sum up the Marantz is very good but to a certain extent you only get what you pay for.

Obviousy if you have a mismatch this is not always true.

That's interesting. I was wondering how the CD player on my M-CR603 would compare with the Pearl Lite CDP (similarly priced to the Audiolab 8200CD).

Just recently I was messing around and hooked up the M-CR603 as a source into my PM8003 amp that I've kept hold of. The extra punch is quite noticeable.

Lo Fi

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
My comparison was done the same way as yours I have bypassed the amp in the Marantz, shows how good the Audiolab is.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts