One box system options?

womble72

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I've got Linn Classik (the old one), Myryad Mi and Arcam Solo on my list of 2nd hand options, what else should I consider and what, in your opinion is the one to beat? I have a 4x3 room with solid brick walls and exposed floorboards, a mix of oak furniture and two sofas and I will be looking to partner my 'one box' system with a pair of speakers (undecided on floor or stand mount) that will be good enough for bass heavy dance and rock tracks.

I'm leaning towards the Myryad Mi but unsure what speakers to partner it with.

Help :?

dariushifi

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
What about Naim Unity, Cyrus? You have to include these into your demo list for sure. I have the same size room as yours and UnityQute does a very good job. Very pleased. Although, at first, I was concerned about 30 watts amp, but once I demoed it in the shop at 50 % volume I realised that I never gona listen that loud anyway. Indeed back in my room I never passed 45 mark.

Ketan Bharadia

Jun 7, 2007
Visit site
Out of those three I liked the way the Myryad sounded best. It's nice and detailed but remains listenable too. If you're sticking to 2nd hand it's worth trying to find an Audio Analogue Enigma. It's not as common as the others but is a good sounding unit. As for speakers, Q Acoustics 2020is will work well, and if you have a bit more budget have a listen to Tannoy's DC6s.

A

Anonymous

Personally if you after an 'all in one' then the Arcam Solo / Solo Mini is good BUT they can't beat the usability and sound that the Marantz CR603 can offer

This with good speakers blows almost all of the competition out of the water in my opinion...

It has recently replaced a Cyrus 8VS2 and Rega Apollo CD player I had in the spare room with some Monitor Audio RX2's and it's fantastic! I wanted rid of the stand the Cyrus/Rega stuff was on and this sits nicely on the bookshelf and recives everything via AirPlay (iTunes) and via the wifi connection using an ethernet bridge (Netgear universal one).

Bought mine 2nd hand for £250 as well so personally I think you'd struggle to beat it at that price

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
amcluesent said:

Never gave it an extensive audition, but for some reason my local store always had it set up with some B&W 805S. Proabably wasn't doing the speakers justice, but it sounded damn fine. The styling may not be to everybody's taste.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Well strictly speaking the one to beat is the Burmester 111 Music Centre, but at £26,800 I doubt many people would be looking at it as a serious option. The Naim SuperUniti would probably rank high on any list of affordable one-box players to beat but if you can, try one of the streamers from German firm T&A. Their E series gear comes with very powerful built-in amplification or you could consider the MP 1260R, which doesn't have an amp.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
For probably not much more (less?) you could probably get one of AVI's integrated, cd player and perhaps a tuner. Not an all in one but much more powerful, still small and perhaps more suitable for your musical preferences? An alternative thats all.

regards

womble72

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Big Chris said:

I would buy this just for the name :-D

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm not too fussed about streaming, radio on occaision and it would mainly be used for playing CDs. I have the clearance from SWMBO for a new hifi, It can be played as loud as I would like but it must not be a tower of boxes :-/

I have considered just having active speakers and buying a cd transport but I've never owned actives before and unsure of the benefits.

I like the look of the Myryad and have seen these go for about £5-600 2nd hand which would leave me about the same for a pair of speakers.

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Singslinger said:
Well strictly speaking the one to beat is the Burmester 111 Music Centre, but at £26,800 I doubt many people would be looking at it as a serious option. The Naim SuperUniti would probably rank high on any list of affordable one-box players to beat but if you can, try one of the streamers from German firm T&A. Their E series gear comes with very powerful built-in amplification or you could consider the MP 1260R, which doesn't have an amp.

woooh! I thought the devialet premier was pricey. What are the odds than Cno can top this?

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
womble72 said:
Big Chris said:

I would buy this just for the name :-D

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm not too fussed about streaming, radio on occaision and it would mainly be used for playing CDs. I have the clearance from SWMBO for a new hifi, It can be played as loud as I would like but it must not be a tower of boxes :-/

I have considered just having active speakers and buying a cd transport but I've never owned actives before and unsure of the benefits.

I like the look of the Myryad and have seen these go for about £5-600 2nd hand which would leave me about the same for a pair of speakers.

Hi Womble72, looks to me you're after a network player that has built-in amplification, plays CDs and streams from a NAS or computer. I'm not sure if many such boxes are available, other than the one you mentioned or the Naim Uniti/UnitiLite so your choices are quite limited. Of the lot listed, I'd say the Uniti is the one to beat but the new Uniti Lite is definitely a contender ( though it may be over-budget). Good luck!

womble72

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
The one box system must have a cdp, it's what I mainly listen too. I've seen Myryad Mi going for £599 on EBay.... Do they have enough guts to party?

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
womble72 said:
The one box system must have a cdp, it's what I mainly listen too. I've seen Myryad Mi going for £599 on EBay.... Do they have enough guts to party?

I have listened to the Myryad Mi. Imho sounds really good. If i were you for that money you cn't really good wrong. ;)

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Correct me if am wrong but the superuniti does not have a cdp or built in hard drive. Not sure if that passes as an all in one?. You still need a source to get it to sing.

The UnitiQute doesn't. The UnitiLite, Uniti and SuperUniti all do.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts