One Box System for small apartment - any suggestions?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am considering buying a one box system as a 2nd system for small apartment in Lisbon. My main system is in large house North of the city (CA 840AV2 and 840C with MA RS6). I have seen on Ebay Linn Classik K (mint condition) at about half original price (465 pounds). Would this be better than Arcam Solo Mini or Primare CDi-10 (one box cd, tuner, amp at 695 pounds on ebay). Would any of these be a significantly worse sound than my main system - remembering that room is only 5mx6m and heavily furnished. Any alternatives?

Many thanks

coolaboola

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
I have seen that c.a are bringing out an all in one mini system called 'fusion' acording to their website.It looks a bit like a car stereo but might suit your lisbon crash pad.I'd say they have probably seen the positive sales of the little onkyo and fancy a slice of the pie.Good luck

A

Anonymous

Will it sound better than Linn or Arcam Solo? I like the look of the Linn (it's not the 2008 new model) - sound comparison with CA main system? And of course i?ll need some small speakers - suggestions anybody?

Thanks

John Duncan

Does it have to be a mini? matthewpiano was just saying that the 740c and 740a are available for £500 for the pair in silver just now?

I found the Classik on a par with such as the Arcam CD73/A65 when I listened to it a couple of years ago, and as such would expect the 740 pair to be better......

Speakers are a minefield budget-wise - I love the AVI Neutron V at £400 - is that too much or too little?

A

Anonymous

Yes I think it does really - girlfriend prefers it in this apartment and with this furniture - i got my way in the big house!!! I really love my CA stuff in the house in the country and that is where we spend most weekends and most serious listening but I want to replace a tiny technics micro she has in the apartment. One of the effects of discovering good hi fi again after many years away (Linn Sondek in the 80's) is that i want to listen more and more and am buying more and more cd's - isn't that great!!!

400 pounds seems fine for small speakers if i can go the ebay route for electrics - but almost impossible to audition much good equipment in portugal so any suggestions from people who have listened are greatly appreciated! Just looked at Cambridge site for Fusion but only says later in the year.

A

Anonymous

Yes, that is an option - I can get new cyrus cd6s CD for 400 pounds on ebay and similar amount for cyrus 6 amp I think - That was my first thought in fact and watching some now on ebay - putting both side by side not much bigger than Primare or Linn Classik I think. It was only when browsing on ebay that the Linn and primare came to mind - ciost of cyrus stuff would reduce amount i have for speakers though - again, is the trade off worth it?

T

the record spot

The Classik on release was considered a great piece of kit; good reviews from WHF amongst others and merited partnering with good speakers. Certainly good enough for some of the £400-£500 amps & CD players of the day - "it's that good" WHF said at the time. Don't write it off...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
You could also consider AVI's original ADM9, which can be found for just over 700. Active speakers with built in quality pre-amp, powerful amplification and DAC, remote controlled too. They are available amongst other finishes in gloss white, piano black. She'll probably love'em and they will without doubt challenge you main system for sound quality. Just add airport express and laptop and you're off.

A

Anonymous

Brilliant idea i think - i thought of you and your liking for active speakers - would certainly reduce boxes - i would need a cd player to go with it though? I don't really use pc, ipod etc for music - bit old fashioned here really and lots of cd's.

John Duncan

drummerman:You could also consider AVI's original ADM9, which can be found for just over 700.

Or the 9.1 ex-dem, which can be had for the same price in Piano White at the Sevenoaks next door to me........

Doesn't reduce box count though if you want CD as a source.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Doesn't reduce box count though if you want CD as a source.

I think the idea of the ADM9.1 is that you only need a Mac or Macbook. PCs/CDPs/tuners/turntables etc are discouraged vociferously by the owner of AVI.

The all-in-one boxes like the Arcam Solo range or those from Linn and Primare all have CD (some have DVD as well) and Tuner (FM & DAB) built in along with connections for an iPod and/or computer. This type of solution also leaves the choice of speaker to the user.

Actually I would go further and propose you listen to the Meridian F80...

http://www.thef80.com/Default.aspx?region=Europe

This really is a one box solution and sounds stunning. It also means you can move it around with you wherever you are living and from room to room with ease. No added expense for speakers and no need for stands + speaker cables. I am sure the GF will love the idea. CD/DVD/DAB/FM and iPod (with matching i80 dock)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts