On the hunt for a new cd player

DarkWhisper

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
At the mo am using pro-ject s headphone amp and technics SL-SP7 cd player, silver spiral interconnecters.

Am using the amp stright from the cd player with some HD 600.

Both Headphone amp and cd player will be change in the next year because am selling my hole system just to consertrate on headphone listening.

CD player first.

My budget is around 2 grand.

Which brand will be a good look at?

My music tastes are mostly vocal.

Celtic,folk,some clasical. vocal trance. Am looking into minamulistic looking gear. with a natural sound. Sound quality is number one.

With thanks

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
The Pathos digit can be had ex dem under 2K or a Resolution Audio Opus 21 is supposed to be very analogue sounding and can also be had for a similar price.

Another option would be the Sugden CD21 SE approx £1800 brand new.

Cheers

Mac

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
The Pathos digit can be had ex dem under 2K or a Resolution Audio Opus 21 is supposed to be very analogue sounding and can also be had for a similar price.

Cheers

Mac

Agreed.

(Unless you are prepared to look at something like a Linn Majik DS)

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:

Cheers

Mac

Agreed.

(Unless you are prepared to look at something like a Linn Majik DS)

You just can't help yourself can you! LOL!

Mac

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
You might have a very good reason to want to spend that kind of money on a CD player, and of course that's absolutely fine, but consider that the kind of money you are talking about spending will buy you a system which is much more flexible but just as sonically capable. For a start, that kind of money will buy you into high-res audio, which has the potential to out-perform CDs. You could buy a dedicated streamer, or even just a computer linked to a very-high-quality DAC (though a streamer is neater). Both of these options will allow you to store your entire CD collection as lossless audio files for instant playback, all controlled by your smartphone from the comfort of your armchair. Of course this could be just about the last thing you're interested in. But at least know that the option is there.

T

the record spot

I doubt you probably need to spend as much as £2000 on a CD player these days. Unless you're looking to get something that's more than just an audio product; perhaps design statement, boutique marque appeal, etc., you'll get a very high standard of audio quality for less.

Captain Duff

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I go along with the Major. Newer digital streaming formats already have better sound quality than CD's (and of course all the potential benefits of space saving hard disk storage). So you are talking on spending a lot of money on what is quickly becoming a dated and limited technology, and also when there are good sounding CD players available for far less than that.

That said, I still use a combo of CD and vinyl myself (the non-over sampling Consonance has impressed me a lot), but I will almost certainly jump on to the streaming wagon in the next 6 months or so, or when prices fall again...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts