Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
chebby:
Moon i-3 RS amp?

PP thought it might be 'wooly' (sic) and Bluenose said Gerrard (and others) should be banned for upgrading.

And I think that's the post that ended Dan's stint on the forum. Typical Bluenose!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
chebby:
Moon i-3 RS amp?

PP thought it might be 'wooly' (sic) and Bluenose said Gerrard (and others) should be banned for upgrading.

And I think that's the post that ended Dan's stint on the forum. Typical Bluenose!

T

the record spot

It was so bad he said it twice!

Yep, Dan gone, dim_span not been around for a while. Who else will sing the praises of NAD and vintage Pioneer amps in this place...?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
the record spot:Who else will sing the praises of NAD and vintage Pioneer amps in this place...?

I don't know, but pretty soon Gerrard is going to start Mooning us
17.gif

A

Anonymous

Dimmie is around on other forums still championing his beloved Pioneers....

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
emotion-21.gif

My P85 arrived this morning too.
emotion-1.gif

Unlike you though, I'm unable to use it as I've got no spare interconnects!
emotion-6.gif

Hope it lives up to expectations Gerrard.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
vinod_david:Please bring the review soon with pics.

Right, well here goes. Before I start, a couple of caveats; I am no photographer and I only have an old Sony DSC, so the two shots I took are nothing special. And more importantly, I'm no professional reviewer, so I will explain my findings as articulately as I can.

I packed up my trusty and well loved CA 840A this morning and waited for both pick up and delivery of my new amp. I waited, and I waited!! The pick up happened at 1.30pm and I then had to wait a further four hours for the new amp to arrive! My niece had my daughters until 4pm as well so I missed out on some potential serious listening.

When it did arrive, the box was open in seconds and, thankfully, it's a beauty! A little slimmer than the 840 but almost as heavy and very well put together. I have replaced my balanced cables (the I-3 is RCA only) with a pair of Van Den Hul The First and I have sold my Clearer Audio coxials for a set from Atlas, the Opus. This has saved me about £100 to add to the money I got for the 840A.

Setting up was swift and I got started with The Sea by Corinne Bailey Rae. My favourite album of the year and one that I've played a lot. Straight away I heard a big difference. Now I should say at this point that I was a bit nervous. I had read a couple of comments that the bass and accuracy might not be that special with the Moon. These are attributes that are very important to me. Anyway, the first thing that I noticed was the power! I always thought that I had plenty in the locker before - this is in another league. The bass is pretty much perfect for me. Corinne's voice is just like treacle and I could hear every breath between notes and notes seem to linger. I also noticed a fair few times, beautiful sounds coming from behind the bass if that makes sense. Sounds I'd not noticed before. On to Bob Marley's brilliant Natty Dread. Amazing, stunning, loving it. Crisp sounds, brilliant bass and beautiful vocals. I was now rushing. India Arie, Adele, Maxwell, John Legend followed and the number one difference for me was soundstage. It's like hearing music around the room rather than in front of you. Cymbals and other percussion hang in the air and age.

Well, I now realis that the higher mid range level can be pretty special. My RS6s have never sounded so good but obviously they and my DacMagic are now looking like the "weaker links" in my set up. If I get a job soon, I will be demoing some PMC GB1i speakers and I like the look of the Benchmark DAC1. However, at the moment, I'm very very happy.

Snaps to come. Flickr is taking for ever!

matthewpiano

Excellent news Gerrard. Really pleased you are enjoying it - I was slightly nervous for you as I know how much you've enjoyed the Cambridge and the Creek Evo you had before that, but it certainly sounds like it will prove to be a good move.

Keep the comments coming through as you settle in with the amp. Its always interesting to hear what different components are like to live with.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:vinod_david:Please bring the review soon with pics.

Right, well here goes. Before I start, a couple of caveats; I am no photographer and I only have an old Sony DSC, so the two shots I took are nothing special. And more importantly, I'm no professional reviewer, so I will explain my findings as articulately as I can.

I packed up my trusty and well loved CA 840A this morning and waited for both pick up and delivery of my new amp. I waited, and I waited!! The pick up happened at 1.30pm and I then had to wait a further four hours for the new amp to arrive! My niece had my daughters until 4pm as well so I missed out on some potential serious listening.

When it did arrive, the box was open in seconds and, thankfully, it's a beauty! A little slimmer than the 840 but almost as heavy and very well put together. I have replaced my balanced cables (the I-3 is RCA only) with a pair of Van Den Hul The First and I have sold my Clearer Audio coxials for a set from Atlas, the Opus. This has saved me about £100 to add to the money I got for the 840A.

Setting up was swift and I got started with The Sea by Corinne Bailey Rae. My favourite album of the year and one that I've played a lot. Straight away I heard a big difference. Now I should say at this point that I was a bit nervous. I had read a couple of comments that the bass and accuracy might not be that special with the Moon. These are attributes that are very important to me. Anyway, the first thing that I noticed was the power! I always thought that I had plenty in the locker before - this is in another league. The bass is pretty much perfect for me. Corinne's voice is just like treacle and I could hear every breath between notes and notes seem to linger. I also noticed a fair few times, beautiful sounds coming from behind the bass if that makes sense. Sounds I'd not noticed before. On to Bob Marley's brilliant Natty Dread. Amazing, stunning, loving it. Crisp sounds, brilliant bass and beautiful vocals. I was now rushing. India Arie, Adele, Maxwell, John Legend followed and the number one difference for me was soundstage. It's like hearing music around the room rather than in front of you. Cymbals and other percussion hang in the air and age.

Well, I now realis that the higher mid range level can be pretty special. My RS6s have never sounded so good but obviously they and my DacMagic are now looking like the "weaker links" in my set up. If I get a job soon, I will be demoing some PMC GB1i speakers and I like the look of the Benchmark DAC1. However, at the moment, I'm very very happy.

Snaps to come. Flickr is taking for ever!

Pics as promised.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/50367271@N04/4861591658/in/photostream/

T

the record spot

plastic penguin:
I made a point of saying it was a pure "guess..."...

A pure guess? Don't tell me they've made ANOTHER radio?!? I'll get me coat...

emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Well done Gerrard, fab review, very professional. You have me salivating at the very thought of how good it must sound and it's always exciting getting new gear.ÿ

Love the line you wrote, and there may be a typo but it's brilliant...'Cymbals and other percussion hang in the air and age.'

Fabulous....!!
emotion-21.gif

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
ricardo65:
Well done Gerrard, fab review, very professional. You have me salivating at the very thought of how good it must sound and it's always exciting getting new gear.ÿ

Love the line you wrote, and there may be a typo but it's brilliant...'Cymbals and other percussion hang in the air and age.'

Fabulous....!!
emotion-21.gif

Thanks Ricardo and others.

Yes, a few typos - I was rushing to get the post in as it took forever for my photos to upload. I'm glad you made sense of it. It's very difficult to explain how sound sounds! Cheers.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
glad you're happy, the first thing i noticed about that amp was how good vocals sounded and acoustic instruments. sounds like a good match with your rs6.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Craig M.:glad you're happy, the first thing i noticed about that amp was how good vocals sounded and acoustic instruments. sounds like a good match with your rs6.

Thanks Craig, it was you who got me thinkng about Moon amps! I agree, violins and acoustic guitars sound amazing.

Torres09

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Excellent review Gerrard, glad your'e happy with your new purchase-it looks sweet
emotion-21.gif

Ever since my trip to the Towers in Feb my love for music has come back, and thanks to Andrew's recommendations the KI Sig combo have given me many hours of happy listening
emotion-1.gif

P.S just been listening to Little Boots-Hands.............rather good actually

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts