Olive O3HD does NOT have digital output [EDIT - New ones do via USB]

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Why do you mention in the review and several other places that the Olive O3HD has digital output? This is not true, and I just got it confirmed from Olive: HI there, sorry for the confusion. The O3HD does not have a digital output, only RCA. Take care and let me know if I can help you with anything else. Best regards, _____________________________________ Olive Service Team

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
The digital output is a recent addition/upgrade, and when Olive came in to see us with a review sample it did indeed have a digital output as stated, but it's via the USB socket rather than optical or coaxial. It may be that there are a couple of older models around in stores without the improvement, but the latest version does have it.

As we said in the review: "The original model lacked a digital output to upgrade its sound quality with an external DAC, but now that's been rectified and a digital out (via USB) is fitted as standard."

A

Anonymous

I will check this information with Olive and get back to you, I find it very odd that they don't mention this on their own site.

A

Anonymous

Reply from Olive:

Hi again,
the O3HD does not have any digital output right now. USB output is in the works, but not yet supported. There is a mis print in the WhatHiFi review.
Take care and let me know if I can help you with anything else.
Best regards,
Olive Service Team

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Alpha 10, we were categorically told that the USB digital output had been added. Our review sample (supplied 3 months ago) had a working digital output on USB, so it is not a 'misprint' in our review. If this upgrade has not been implemented on production models, then Olive has failed to inform us of this fact.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
OK, we've now had an official response from Henley Designs, which distributes the Olive 03HD in the UK:

"The 3HD does have digital out and this function is downloaded in the latest update. It’s USB1 and, not surprisingly, there are a few compatibility issues with some DACs on the market.

Due to the diversity of the issues and the number of DACs that are on the market, Olive HQ has decided not to promote the fact that it has digital out via the USB port as they are unable to support the vast number of DACs where they have no control over the protocols used. However, Henley is happy to support all our customers and will endeavour to assist wherever possible."

Henley Designs can be contacted on 01235 511166.

A

Anonymous

OFFICIAL STATEMENT FROM OLIVE MEDIA INC.

Dear WhatHiFi Forum members,

please let me clarify the questions surrounding the support of USB DACs with our Olive O3HD. Hopefully this will clear up the miscommunication in earlier threads. The O3HD is compatible with all USB 1.1 asynchronous USB DACs/Speakers which use a generic USB 1.1 protocol (up to 24bit/96kHz). Known working devices are for example the Rega DAC and the pro-ject USB DAC.

If you would like us to evaluate any other brand/model please submit the information about the DAC (brand and model) to me directly and we will look into the possibility of supporting it. I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

A

Anonymous

:help: Hi

Am in need of some help regarding the USB out from the Olive03hd. I was informed at the Manchester what hi-fi event that the Audiolab 8200cd players DAC would work with the Olive so i duly went out and spent nearly £800 to find that it doesent! I am using a furutech usb cable and the audiolab shows a usb connection but it stays in stop mode and doesent show any other information! i have tried the audiolab with my pc and it works fine so i am at a loss to explain why the audiolab is recognising the usb connection but thats all. Can anybody shed any light on this is there something im not doing.

Please help!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts