Olive 04HD + Onkyo 5008 + what speakers?

tochtgenoot

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone,

being an (almost) complete newbie to the more refined world of hi-fi and high-end home cinema, I would really appreciate your opinions regarding a new 5.1 speakerset for my new home surround-set up. As so often, I'm looking for a great sounding music-movie combination.

Practically my whole previous system has broken down the last couple of months: first the cd/dvd player (budget Philips), last week my surround amp (Sony QS Series STR-DB1070), and tonight my very old turntable (an antique Dual that I had hooked up to an old stereo amp)...

So, I have to admit a bit frustrated, I turn to you regarding my new system, for which I decided to upgrade (I had been saving a couple of years already for some new equipment, thank god for that).

To satisfy my cd playing needs, I already own an Olive 04HD - a great machine that I bought when my budget cd player broke down - a incredible step up that made me realize what the difference was between a 320kb mp3 and the actual cd.

As far as amps go, I prefer the Onkyo 5008 based on what I have read and heard up to now. Budget-wise a bit tight, but should be feasible.

The only thing from my previous equipment that still works, are my speakers: the Sony pascal sa-ve835ed surround set.

Do you think these speakers are a match for the Olive + Onkyo (speakers are about 10 years old but sounded very nice through my Sony amp)? Or will other (better/more expensive/bigger/louder?) speakers greatly improve the sound coming out of the Onkyo?

Thanks in advance for your opinions !

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Hello and welcome to the forum. Good as the Sony speakers are they are not quite a fair match with the Onkyo. Were you thinking of upgrading teh speakers soon?

You say the 5008 is stretching your budget a bit, does that mean you have some budget for new speakers, if so had you considered the 3008 with a bit of money going to a new speakers set?

The Onkyo has bags of power and a floorstanding speakers would be a good start. If you have to opt for small speakers then I would re-consider the amp. What room size do you have?

Nick

A

Anonymous

With an AVR that good, either the 3008 or 5008, I would look at the monitor audio Apex system (sub/sat) or the new KEF Q range the 500 or 700 with the 200 upfront and the 800 dipole surrounds ( full size speakers). Either package would be great with movies or music IMO.

tochtgenoot

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your replies!

My living room is about 50 square metres - 25 for the home cinema and sitting area and 25 for the dining area.

I realize that the onkyo is perhaps a bit too much for the 25 m2 but I am a huge metal fan so effortlessly attaining loud music volumes without losing the details is an absolute necessity for me (no neighbours! :))

With respect to the 3008 and 5008 - I prefer a better amp now and waiting two years for buying new speakers than rushing things now and go with a less high-end amp and immediately upgrading my speakers.

So depending on the speakers that I would buy to join the onkyo in my living room, I will buy the new speakers in the course of 2011 or one of the following years. The Monitor Audio Apex system for instance would suggest exercising a bit of patience ;-). But again, I prefer waiting and buying great stuff instead of rushing into things.

Would you consider it a good option to go for great stereo speakers, in addition to the 5.1 set I already own? Or would it be more advisable to change the 5.1 set and use it for stereo hi-fi as well?

A

Anonymous

If your going for the 5008 and you are considering just getting the front 2 speakers, I would suggest you get the front 3 as it is really important to match the front when using for movies, which ever speakers you decided on, the Sony speaker will not create a cohesive sound stage at the front when mixed with 2 floor standers from another range.

tochtgenoot

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks again for your reactions.

I heard the KEF's last weekend, and I have to say that they blow my current Sony set completely out of the water. It's incredible how much 'weight' music gets with speakers of such a small size!

@markjasaspi: thanks for the warning. But I was more thinking of keeping my sony setup for the time being and adding two extra speakers, just for stereo music listening. But with hearing the KEF's last weekend, I don't think I will need separate speakers for music...

Now I just have to get my hand on some Monitor Audio's and compare them with the KEF's...

pba_target

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Be worth looking at B&W's CM series if you can demo some. The CM8's are a new addition to the range, but they should pair up well with the CM center that is available. They're a pretty good match to the onk's to my ear. They'd certainly do a good job and are worth a compare with the MA's.

A

Anonymous

I'm suprised no one has suggested having a cheaper Onkyo amp like say the TX-NR1008, integrated with a "proper" stereo amplifier (using the Onkyos front LR preouts) considering you seem to rate music replay very highly!

You could partner the 1008 (or 3008) with something like a Naim Nait XS, which would blow the 5008 out of the water for 2 channel replay. Don't worry about the apparent power difference between the two, with the greatest respect to Onkyo (and most AV amps for that matter!) their power ratings are WILDLY optimistic!!!!!

Effectively in home cinema mode the XS would be used as a power amp, and when listening to music the Onkyo would be out of the way anyway.

I'd also say yes listen to the B&Ws, but also the Focal Chorus 800 Series speakers. Either would be a better option than the chinese made junk from MA and KEF!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
AlanNorak:I'd also say yes listen to the B&Ws, but also the Focal Chorus 800 Series speakers. Either would be a better option than the chinese made junk from MA and KEF!

No, don't hold back - say what you mean, AlanNorak, even at the risk of being just the teensiest bit racist. But I'm not entirely sure your sweeping generalisation is accurate.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
My new B&W CM8s say "Made in China" on the box.....and sound great! They pair up well with the CM Centre, and have just added CM1s as surrounds.

TRENDING THREADS