Oled advice required

Harpo

Dec 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi everyone,

its been a while since I have posted on here but I regularly visit the site to try to keep up with reviews etc.

I have been looking at oled for a while now and want one.

my dilemma is ... Today I popped into my local John Lewis and they have a new lg 55 930 for £1099 which I have always liked apart from ... Not sure about the curve..

or.. The lg 55 950 for £1699...

viewing is pretty much the same as previous posts, mainly SD and HD via freesat HD with some bluray!

Love the blacks on oled,... Is the 950 worth the extra £600 considering my viewings?

only one brand new 930 in my local store... So need to decide... Don't want rubbish SD viewing

thankyou

Steve

D

Deleted member 2457

Harpo said:
Hi everyone,

its been a while since I have posted on here but I regularly visit the site to try to keep up with reviews etc.

I have been looking at oled for a while now and want one.

my dilemma is ... Today I popped into my local John Lewis and they have a new lg 55 930 for £1099 which I have always liked apart from ... Not sure about the curve..

or.. The lg 55 950 for £1699...

viewing is pretty much the same as previous posts, mainly SD and HD via freesat HD with some bluray!

Love the blacks on oled,... Is the 950 worth the extra £600 considering my viewings?

only one brand new 930 in my local store... So need to decide... Don't want rubbish SD viewing

thankyou

Steve
Its a difficult one, both a great TVs (see reviews). I always like to buy from John Lewis (if I can).

Harpo

Dec 24, 2007
Visit site
I think the 930 is an absolute bargain... But I have read about the issues and believe most of them have been resolved on the 950/960.

Do I need 4K.. Probably not.. I'm concerned that SD/HD will look worse on the 950.

Do you think both sets will be the same quality on SD / HD ?

Which should I go for?

D

Deleted member 2457

Harpo said:
I think the 930 is an absolute bargain... But I have read about the issues and believe most of them have been resolved on the 950/960.

Do I need 4K.. Probably not.. I'm concerned that SD/HD will look worse on the 950.

Do you think both sets will be the same quality on SD / HD ?

Which should I go for?
What about buying this one from John Lewis:

http://www.johnlewis.com/lg-55eg960v-curved-4k-ultra-hd-oled-3d-smart-tv-55-with-freeview-hd-built-in-wi-fi-with-monster-4k-hdmi-cable/p235036360

It does 4K and you can return it within 90 days for a full refund if you are unhappy. Since the reviews of this I have added 2.0a HDMI sockets and call it the ZD model I think. The previous model was ZA. I will check on this. £1699 though.

D

Deleted member 2457

Yep it's ZD model they are now providing, so you can get a 4K Blu Ray player too. They are only £310 now too.

D

Deleted member 2457

With sd most of the viewing is good it's only really bad channels that you can get the occasional pixelisation but you can even get a little on the new LG TVs with that. 95 per cent of the time it's good.

Harpo

Dec 24, 2007
Visit site
Probably won't buy a 4K player atm ... Just use my bluray player...

Thats why I thought the 930 would be ok for now ( until the five year warranty expires anyway)

All I have done since yesterday is read reviews about these two TVs and still can't make my mind up!

I should of had the 930 when I was in the shop.. Now I'm dithering about if it's worth paying the extra for the 4K version.

D

Deleted member 2457

Harpo said:
Probably won't buy a 4K player atm ... Just use my bluray player...

Thats why I thought the 930 would be ok for now ( until the five year warranty expires anyway)

All I have done since yesterday is read reviews about these two TVs and still can't make my mind up!

I should of had the 930 when I was in the shop.. Now I'm dithering about if it's worth paying the extra for the 4K version.
Well if you look at it with the 4K Blu Ray player it's £2000 at least and then at least £20 on the 4K Blu Rays, and my opinion of 4K is that it isn't great. So that makes a good case for the 930.

D

Deleted member 2457

Costco are also doing the 920 4K OLED TV for £1699 Instore and with 5 year warranty and 90 days return policy.

Harpo

Dec 24, 2007
Visit site
Have you seen the 930 set up and working at its best?

none of the shops have them on display anymore as discontinued so I can't do a comparison.

the sales man in John Lewis said it was a great tv and none of the ones they sold in the last two years have had any issues, but he's going to say that isn't he!

Maybe the savings on the 930 would pay for calibration

Harpo

Dec 24, 2007
Visit site
Forgot to mention... I read that motion handling on the 930 isn't great, but has been improved on the 950/960 sets

whats the difference with the 910 &920 TVs you mentioned?

D

Deleted member 2457

Harpo said:
Have you seen the 930 set up and working at its best?

none of the shops have them on display anymore as discontinued so I can't do a comparison.

the sales man in John Lewis said it was a great tv and none of the ones they sold in the last two years have had any issues, but he's going to say that isn't he!

Maybe the savings on the 930 would pay for calibration
Yep, seen the 930 many many times in John Lewis and Currys. It's a great TV and motion is great just like all OLED TVs. OLED TVs have some of the best motion around don't believe what you read on the forums. Sometimes the TV can suffer from colour tints eg slightly green on whites, but with John Lewis you just send it back and get another one. If you want calibration that's always a good idea and can calibrate away the tint if it has one.

D

Deleted member 2457

Harpo said:
Forgot to mention... I read that motion handling on the 930 isn't great, but has been improved on the 950/960 sets

The 910 is virtually identical to the 930 just 1080p not 4K and it a bit cheaper. The 920 is identical to the 950 but with a curve. It's 4K with something like 300 nits, some might say not enough for 4K on a OLED. You can always phone up the store and see if you can purchase which one you want.

gsyx123

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Harpo said:

I actually bought the 950 (mainly because i DIDN'T want the curve!). Once the set has run in and settled down, the picture is fantastic. Get a calibration disk and calibrate it yourself (so easy to do- beleive me if I can do it anyone can), they are only £30 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CKWI13O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The only time i wasn't happy with the picture was with the really dark scenes on Game of Thrones via Sky Atlantic, but picture quality is spot-on now.

Hope this helps

Harpo

Dec 24, 2007
Visit site
Gsyx123

thanks of the reply, couple of questions

is the picture ok on SD? I have HD channels on freesat but some channels are SD only

also have you had any issues with motion when watching sport for example.

i don't think that John Lewis sell the 950 model.

Gel,

why buy from currys on the Internet? I can get 7% discount in currys through work, but that would be in store I guess

D

Deleted member 2457

Harpo said:
Gsyx123

is the picture ok on SD? I have HD channels on freesat but some channels are SD only

Gel,

why buy from currys on the Internet? I can get 7% discount in currys through work, but that would be in store I guess
If you have any problems with the TV you have long distance regulations for you. In the store they can be a bit funny.

gsyx123

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Harpo said:
Gsyx123

Gel,

Hi Harpo

Sorry, only source i have is Sky, which is set to upscale to uhd. No issues with motion while watching sport, although there is a user setting especially for sport. Don't know about anyone elses experiences, but i watch football and motorsport with no problems at all. I know there are settings that can turn on/off picture processing in the expert menu.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi Harpo how are you. If you haven't made up your mind yet. Have a think about what the curved TV is all about. How does it give you a fully immersive experience unless you are sat close for the side edges of the TV are barly in your periferal vision? In an IMAX cinema when the screen is big enough, a curved screen works. Personally I think these curved screen TVare just a gimic. They've managed to curve a screen which in my book is very cool but pointless if it's on 50"/60" and you sit 2m away from it. Plus the viewing angles are pretty narrow. I'm sure you sit in the middle so won't be a problem.

I hope that helps and I hope you don't mind my brashness.

GP

Harpo

Dec 24, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the advice

i popped into currys today to see both flat and curved..

the picture on the curved was great but I believe that there was a problem with the flat panel. It had faint vertical and horizontal lines on the screen creating rectangles about the size of A3 paper if that makes sense... And to add to that the salesman was clueless.. He even tried to wipe them off!!!

Ill pop back to John Lewis on the weekend I think

The wife prefers the curved as the TV will be in the corner of the room.. I'm not so sure..

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Harpo, which specific models did you see in Currys? I was in the biggest Currys in Edinburgh on Thursday and looked at the only (flat) OLED that I could see. Unfortunately I can't remember the model number, but it was a 55", I think. And the blacks were, as ever with OLED, matchless, but I'd need to see them not in a bright shop environment. I'm just not clear about shadow detail though .....

Harpo

Dec 24, 2007
Visit site
My original question was regarding the 930.. and then I asked was the 960/950 worth the extra £600 to have the 4k considering the source I currently have? I am unable to demo the 930 as they are discontinued so not many left. In curry's I looked at the 960 & 950

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts