oldtimer vs newcomer

alializadeh

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
hi

what would you recommend for a hi fi enthusiast beginner.

A: old amp, difficult connection but legacy (naim)

B: new model, easy and versitile, beginner in hifi world, good reviews (atoll)

i truely am lost, my speaker choise will be based on the amp choice.

thanks

alializadeh

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
around 800 euros, but here is the deal, i already chose my possible amps and speakers, and the all fit the budget (secondhand). BUT, it's impossible to audition any speaker first because the would be on a total other amp, which is useless and time wasting.

so my thoughts were to pick a solid amp, and then go wih the amp to my chosen speakers and test them. what do you think? (and yes, i should pick the speakers first, than the amp, but ayway)

alializadeh

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
ok, fair enough, because everybody on every forum where i'm active are saying to choose the speakers first, i will do that than.

i realy like the sound of quad and b&w, a bit warm i think. wich of these speakers company have this kind of signiture?and wich of them are the better ones?

epos, quadral, quad,triangle, totem, xavian, and focal

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
alializadeh said:
i realy like the sound of quad and b&w, a bit warm i think. wich of these speakers company have this kind of signiture?and wich of them are the better ones?

epos, quadral, quad,triangle, totem, xavian, and focal

Can you hear them?

B&W are a bit warm, some would say coloured/unnatural. I don't know Quads. Its a bit of a generalisation to just go by a brand as speakers within the brand can be quite different. But if you want brands names I would go for KEFs, Epos are quite good also but I found the treble to be a bit forward for my taste. Totems are insensitive and need a bit of power to drive them. Focal may suit your taste. Neats are also a bit warm I believe.

Now what sort of music? What volume (loud, moderate, low)? What room size?

alializadeh

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
the romm is about 4 meters by 6 meters, my music taste is quite wide, the music i realy enjoy listening to are like johnny cash stuff, country, john grant, celtic women, irish country, nick cave. but also some rock, where i need a bit off bass for it.

volume should be low to moderate , but it should be capable for loud volumes.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
alializadeh said:
the romm is about 4 meters by 6 meters, my music taste is quite wide, the music i realy enjoy listening to are like johnny cash stuff, country, john grant, celtic women, irish country, nick cave. but also some rock, where i need a bit off bass for it.

volume should be low to moderate , but it should be capable for loud volumes.

Most speakers should be OK for that sort of music. Can you try the speakers before buying?

alializadeh

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
some of it, some are too far too drive for. now, can you give any advice on speakers that i'm looking at? i know, i have to hlisten by myself and judge then.

epos m5, quadral rondo, triangle titus, focal 706v, totem mite or rainmaker, last but not least xavian xn125

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
alializadeh said:
the music i realy enjoy listening to are like johnny cash stuff, country, john grant, celtic women, irish country, nick cave. but also some rock, where i need a bit off bass for it.

I like some of that music, do you have any Christy Moore, Altan, Mary Black, Capercaillie or Donal Lunny?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
alializadeh said:
some of it, some are too far too drive for. now, can you give any advice on speakers that i'm looking at? i know, i have to hlisten by myself and judge then.

epos m5, quadral rondo, triangle titus, focal 706v, totem mite or rainmaker, last but not least xavian xn125

The only ones I have heard are the Epos M5i, they were OK, a bit bass shy. From reviews the Focals 706v may suit you.

alializadeh

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
alializadeh said:

The only ones I have heard are the Epos M5i, they were OK, a bit bass shy. From reviews the Focals 706v may suit you.

oh ok, i will concider that, can you suggest an amp (naim, atoll) for these 2 speakers? naim is liely, full of energy, atoll is neutral and detailed.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
alializadeh said:
oh ok, i will concider that, can you suggest an amp (naim, atoll) for these 2 speakers? naim is liely, full of energy, atoll is neutral and detailed.

Sorry I don't know those amps, you may want to start a new post post about it.

I have heard, Rega Brio R, Creek 50A, Arcam Alpha 3 and A19, Audiolab 8200A, Musical Fidelity M3i, Marantz Pearl Lite, Roksan Kandy K2.

These are all fairly recent amps. From what I have read I would look out for some Creek or Musical Fidelity. Arcam tend to be warm so may suit you. Naim are a bit like marmite (love or hate), so best to try first.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts