Older top of the line Onkyo amp (2008) or latest TX-NR609?

T

the record spot

What would you go for - the new 609 or a three year old top of the line Onkyo also with network capability? The 905 specifically?

T

the record spot

the record spot said:
What would you go for - the new 609 or a three year old top of the line Onkyo also with network capability? The 905 specifically?

Should've said, I could get the 905 for a very good price...

Paul.

Haven't heard the 609 to compare, but the 905 will be significantly more powerful. For the massive torroidal transformer and separate powers supply is enough to say yes to it! You will miss a few modern comforts such as dynamic volume, but the amp should be much better.

By very good price, I assume you mean a similar ball park to the 609? When my dad gave me his 805 for Christmas, the 805 was available at about £350 and 875s were available at about £400-450.

T

the record spot

Yes, exactly. Well, almost! There's about £50 in it, but I don't want to make a snap judgement on it. The reviews look positive (including the WHF review from 2008) and I do have the option to return...

T

the record spot

Thanks chaps - appreciate the thoughts! Mind semi-made up, just need a home demo now. Looking to use this in stereo (to accommodate the multi-formats we now use at home over and above plain vanilla stereo amps) but don't think this should be an issue as I can flick between pure audio stereo and back again when using another format - Blu Ray audio, or the like.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts