older cd players vs. the newer models

if...

Nov 21, 2007
Visit site
I am looking to get a cd player to go with my Musical Fidelity XA200R amp (the original x ray series). The obvious partner would be the original x-ray player (originally £800 in late 90s / seems to go on ebay for about £350 these days).. Would this player still hold its own against newer players in the smae / slightly lower price range (x-ray v8, rega apollo, cyrus 6, arcam cd 192 (now £400?!) etc.

Thanks

John Duncan

Yes, it's a fantastic player. It might not quite have the better of the best £1k players right now (cf Cyrus raising the bar) but it's really musical and obviously matches the rest of your kit.

A

Anonymous

But given that you can get the XRay 8 with PSU brand new for less than £500 I would go new.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
if...:

I am looking to get a cd player to go with my Musical Fidelity XA200R amp (the original x ray series). The obvious partner would be the original x-ray player (originally £800 in late 90s / seems to go on ebay for about £350 these days).. Would this player still hold its own against newer players in the smae / slightly lower price range (x-ray v8, rega apollo, cyrus 6, arcam cd 192 (now £400?!) etc.

Thanks

In my opinion, no, having heard one quite a lot it is no match for my CD192 in any sense.

TRENDING THREADS