Old hifi upgrade conundrum - which way to turn?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,
I'm looking at upgrading my hifi system. I bought what I could afford about 12 years ago. It consists of a Cambridge audio a1 mk3 special edition amp, eltax monitor 3 speakers, a naff turntable, and I'm using an old toshiba DVD player as the cd. It sounds 'ok' but is always a bit muddy and lacks punch. An old Phillips cd player I have from 1989 sounds similar. Looking for more definition and musicality. Musical tastes are rock, pop and jazz. Move into fairly heavy stuff at times but normally classic rock style. Think pink floyd as a reference. Room is 5 x 4m, speakers on shelf due to meddling kids, never that loud but like to fill the room. I've been going round in circles on various forums and the and ending up frustrated, unable to decide. However, I've homed in on a rega rp1 turntable with a rega fono mini a2d pre-amp, which seems to get universal praise. After the TT, I don't want to spend huge amounts, but what gets upgraded first - speakers or amp? Or should I just stick with what I have?Any ideas what would work? I've looked at NAD 3020 amps, an old classic. Would these be an improvement on the Cambridge?Would prefer a second hand amp to keep costs down. Maybe new speakers would be a safer bet?Confused by it all. To much choice!I'm hoping someone can help me out and point me in the right direction. Many thanks.

AmigaNut

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
I had a Nad 3130 way back and to be honest I was never overly impressed, they were suppose to be good. The amp wasn't bad but I thought there was something lacking.

Mine was paired with Mission 700 LE speakers. I ended up swapping my Dual TT and the amp for a Marantz PM 35 and I was more impressed. Today the speakers are still in use with a Yamaha A/V amp.

I have just bought Wharfedale 10.1 they are £150 at Richer Sounds and are a bargain.

AmigaNut

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply.

So, you rate the wharfdales. Just wondered if you could explain what they might give me over the eltax speakers I have? They do look good, and the price is right now they are a little older.

Cheers.

If you go onto the Richer Sounds website they have packages* to suit all budgets.

A friend of mine used to have the Eltax speakers (floorstanding version) and they were good with his old Sherwood system. The Wharfedales will have a little more detail, bass definition. My only reservation is I don't know how they'll sound close to a wall and on shelves.

I'd definitely look at amps with built-in phono stages: Arcam, Rotel, Marantz, Rega...

*The packages can be swapped around with regards to the speakers but will charge accordingly.

AmigaNut

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I have Eltax bipolar rears and a HT 2 centre, the bipolars are excetional and can ot fault them.

But a friend bought the Wharfedales and I was impressed as I wanted to change from a pair of old 80/90's Technics I have in another room.

Hifi is a mine field, you can always find something to upgrade if you have the desire.

I also have got a Rega Rp1, its a good buy.

AmiogaNut

A

Anonymous

Thanks people.

Sounds like I should try the wharfedales. I suppose richer does cater for people like me so will probably end up back there. It is a minefield out there. I'll tread carefully.

Cheers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts