Old CD player or modern Blu-ray for CDs?

jamescw1979

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone have an opinion on whether I am likely to get best sound from CDs out of my old Technics CD player (circa 1998) or my brand new panasonic BD60 blu-ray player?

It's hooked up to a Marantz AMP and B&W shelf mount speakers.

I used to play CDs through my Sony DVD player and was quite happy with the sound. Since swapping this for the blu-ray spinner I've not been too impressed with the sound for CDs. I'm considering getting my old CD player out of storage and running it alongside the Blu-ray player for CDs. Due to the location of the hifi it's a complete pain to add/remove components so I thought I would ask before trying this.

Any help greatly appreciated.

James

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Generally, Bluray and DVD players aren't great CD players, mainly because it's not their primary purpose. What they're designed to, do they do well, but CD replay is just a bonus. I would hazzard a guess your Technics player will sound better than your BD player, and using it will obviously save you extra wear and tear on your BD player too.

It's worth trying it as it will confirm for you as to whether it's the Bluray player at fault or not.

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
I'll be interested to know how you get on. I'm eventually going to get round to getting some hifi speakers and an amp, probably second hand, and using my sony bdps 360 for CD as well as blu ray etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts