Old amplifier vs new amplifier: which is better?

Mr. C Nation

Mar 21, 2020
Visit site
In 1984 an affordable stereo amp arrived that blew away the competition, but can it beat the best modern amps?

Old amplifier vs new amplifier: which is better? : Read more
I had a Musical Fidelity B1 from very early in its production run. I bought it because it was reviewed in the hardware review section of The Gramophone, an august mag that was 80% reviews of recordings [of which +/- 70% 'classical'] and 20% reviews of hardware commensurate with the quality of the music.

The comment that summed up the review was that this amplifier was "unnecessarily good". And it was very good. I had it for 25 years.

I saw no reason to 'upgrade' - ever. For the class of speaker I had - Rogers, Mordant-Short, Monitor Audio, it was, along with that other all-time great, the Marantz CD63 Mk 2 K.I. a wonderful reproducer of music. I got so worried that it would fail permanently that I 15 years later I bought a spare. I never needed that.

I'd still have it today if it had the digital connections I now need for my present set-up, with optical out from the TV. and BuRay.

I don't know because I never A/B'd them as you have A/B'd the Cyrus pair but I bet it would have kept its end up or perhaps surpassed the 'default' Marantz 6006 series that is its successor.

I see that the original Mission Cyrus 2 can be had for about £350 s/h. As the latest amp doesn't have digital connections, owners of the original won't be buying the new one, if they need digital. Would the additional £650 needed to buy the current amp be justified in terms of the quality of sound? I doubt it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts