OK to swap Sky+ with SkyHD+?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
The LNB on my parents Sky+ dish is partially faulty (well one line/port is - so they can only record what they're watching). Sky will charge £60 odd quid to replace it. My parents were wondering if they'd be better off getting a SkyHD+ setup for £49, which presumably would mean the LNB gets replaced, and they'd have a SkyHD+ box into the bargain...

My parents don't have a HD TV, so will they still be able to connect the SkyHD+ box to their TV? I don't know what connectors are on the back of the SkyHD+ box. If they can connect it, will they be able to watch the channels? I realise the won't be able to watch the HD channels.

Are they're any downsides to doing this? They currently have the basic package with the Sky Sports channels. I believe they'd have to pay around an extra £10 per month, correct?

Thanks, Jason.

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
metalhead:
The LNB on my parents Sky+ dish is partially faulty (well one line/port isÿ- so they can only record what they're watching).ÿ Sky will charge £60 odd quid to replace it.ÿ My parents were wondering if they'd be better off getting a SkyHD+ setup for £49, which presumably would mean the LNB gets replaced, and they'd have a SkyHD+ box into the bargain...

My parents don't have a HD TV, so will they still be able to connect the SkyHD+ box to their TV?ÿ I don't know what connectors are on the back of the SkyHD+ box.ÿ If they can connect it, will they be able to watch the channels?ÿ I realise the won't be able to watch the HD channels.

Are they're any downsides to doing this?ÿ They currently have the basic package with the Sky Sports channels.ÿ I believe they'd have to pay around an extra £10 per month, correct?

ÿ

Thanks, Jason.

Have Sky actually quoted a price for the repair/replacement of your dish? Or are you guessing that's how much they'd charge you? How old is the dish? I'd put a little more pressure on Sky to rectify the issue before you consider other options.

As for Sky+HD, IMO it'd be crazy to upgrade when your folks don't even have a HD Ready TV - while I'm sure they could use it just fine using SCART just like they do currently (although doing this would probably puzzle the engineer!), to pay an extra £9.75 a month for HD channels they aren't even getting would just be insane!

Think about it - it'll cost them far more in the long-term to upgrade to Sky+HD than it might to just repair the dish now.

ÿEDIT: Just re-read your post - AFAIK, the dish isn't replaced (or even adjusted) during the switchover from Sky+ to Sky+HD, so I doubt upgrading will solve that problem anyway.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Liam19:Have Sky actually quoted a price for the repair/replacement of your dish? Or are you guessing that's how much they'd charge you?

After determining the problem was the LNB, Sky told them the repair cost would be £60

Liam19:How old is the dish? I'd put a little more pressure on Sky to rectify the issue before you consider other options.?

About 5 years.

Liam19:As for Sky+HD, IMO it'd be crazy to upgrade when your folks don't even have a HD Ready TV - while I'm sure they could use it just fine using SCART just like they do currently (although doing this would probably puzzle the engineer!), to pay an extra £9.75 a month for HD channels they aren't even getting would just be insane!.

I agree, if they do have to pay an extra £9.75, but I wasn't sure. If they didn't then I thought they might be able to save themselves £11, plus get a new box for free. But knowing now for sure they would have to pay the extra £9.75, it wouldn't make sense.

Liam19:EDIT: Just re-read your post - AFAIK, the dish isn't replaced (or even adjusted) during the switchover from Sky+ to Sky+HD, so I doubt upgrading will solve that problem anyway.

I suspect you're correct seen as they're an existing customer - it annoys me that if they were a new customer (opposed to being being a customer for the past 18 years as they have) they'd get everything for £49. Oh well.

Thanks, Jason.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
metalhead:
I suspect you're correct seen as they're an existing customer - it annoys me that if they were a new customer (opposed to being being a customer for the past 18 years as they have) they'd get everything for £49. Oh well.

Thanks, Jason.

Hi,

If they have not had SKY+HD in before, they are able to take advantage of the £49 offer. However, the switchover would be an upgrade of your box only. All the connections are already in place (twin feed from dish) and a SCART cable connection can be used.

You could ask the fitter if he would look at your system while he's there - maybe he'll quote less than the £60 SKY require?

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

daveh75

Cofnchtr:metalhead:

Thanks, Jason.

Hi, If they have not had SKY+HD in before, they are able to take advantage of the £49 offer. However, the switchover would be an upgrade of your box only. All the connections are already in place (twin feed from dish) and a SCART cable connection can be used. You could ask the fitter if he would look at your system while he's there - maybe he'll quote less than the £60 SKY require? Cheers, Cofnchtr.

No,no.no an upgrade isn;t just the case of a box swap although that's often all that's needed.As part of the process and included in the upgrade/installation price the installer should be checking out the entire install and if needed rectifying any problems,and tbh just box swapping is the work of a cowboy.

daveh75

Liam19:metalhead:

The LNB on my parents Sky+ dish is partially faulty (well one line/port is - so they can only record what they're watching). Sky will charge £60 odd quid to replace it. My parents were wondering if they'd be better off getting a SkyHD+ setup for £49, which presumably would mean the LNB gets replaced, and they'd have a SkyHD+ box into the bargain...

My parents don't have a HD TV, so will they still be able to connect the SkyHD+ box to their TV? I don't know what connectors are on the back of the SkyHD+ box. If they can connect it, will they be able to watch the channels? I realise the won't be able to watch the HD channels.

Are they're any downsides to doing this? They currently have the basic package with the Sky Sports channels. I believe they'd have to pay around an extra £10 per month, correct?

Thanks, Jason.

EDIT: Just re-read your post - AFAIK, the dish isn't replaced (or even adjusted) during the switchover from Sky+ to Sky+HD, so I doubt upgrading will solve that problem anyway.

Yes it is. As part of the installation/upgrade process the entire installation should be checked out and any fault's rectified!

FYI,metalhead/jason.... the £60 repair charge is the standard cost for an "out of warranty" service call and whatever is required to get the your installation working whether it be a dish re-alignment to Lnb/dish/cable/stb replacement is included in that price and guaranteed for 3 months.

Paying the £49 for the upgrade plus £9.75 every month just for the sake of repair is madness as your parents dont have an HD tv unless they plan on getting one imminently.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
daveh75:Cofnchtr:metalhead:

Thanks, Jason.

Hi, If they have not had SKY+HD in before, they are able to take advantage of the £49 offer. However, the switchover would be an upgrade of your box only. All the connections are already in place (twin feed from dish) and a SCART cable connection can be used. You could ask the fitter if he would look at your system while he's there - maybe he'll quote less than the £60 SKY require? Cheers, Cofnchtr.

No,no.no an upgrade isn;t just the case of a box swap although that's often all that's needed.As part of the process and included in the upgrade/installation price the installer should be checking out the entire install and if needed rectifying any problems,and tbh just box swapping is the work of a cowboy.

Hi,

I stand corrected. I was under the impression they would use your existing equipment (as it's already there) and would not check cables etc. if there was an issue with the picture. The engineer who swapped mine over swapped boxes then ran the install set up - everything was good so they left. In the case of the original OP though, the LNB problem would show up and further investigation would ensue.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts