Ok to connect a Mini Hi Fi to a Technics Amp?

ric03

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone, I've got a problem I hope someone can help. I'm thinking of digging my old (80s) technics out of the loft so that I can listen to records again. I can't really afford a new CD player for it, though (and it didn't have one), so I'm wondering whether it will be okay to connect a mini hi-fi (just a bog standard Sony £150 one) to it until I can afford a decent CD player? I can't find anywhere that says this is okay and not sure whether my Sony has some sort of Amp built into it and therefore if it's okay to connect it to a second amp? :?

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that as the Sony is a fairly basic unit there are no output sockets other than headphone (so I was going to use a connector lead between the Sony headphone socket and Red/White input sockets on the back of the technics amp). I'm not so much bothered about perfect sound quality (at my age it doesn't matter!)

Sorry, if this is newbie stuff, but I'm not very well up on this sort of thing! Many thanks if anybody can advise me.

Rich.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes you can use the heaphone output, just be careful about overloading the input on your Technics amp, so keep the volume on the Sony lowish, say no more than a third up. You'll know when you're over-driving the input on the Technics because you'll start to get noticeable distortion, so back off at that point.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
...forgot to say, on the Sony, turn off all tone controls, loudness buttons and equalisers. Ie make sure you're deivering the audio 'sonically flat', to reduce the risk of overloading the Technics amp.

ric03

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks a lot MajorFubar, that's really helpful to me. I'll deffo give it a go and see how it works out. Thanks for the advice on overloading the technics, really glad i asked first instead of just trying it out :)

Rich.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts