Oh no! Change in room size has killed speaker upgrade plans!!

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
As some of you may be aware i was looking at upgrading from 805S to a pair of floorstanders circa 3000. This was until i recently found out that the deal i had in place to move to a massive appartment has fell through. The other places we have been looking at are in manchester city center and are actually quite a bit smaller than the room im in now which is still not ideal for 805S!!So basically i might have to downsize my speakerS. Im willing to spend the same money around 1600 on bookshelfers again if i have to.
I understand im not going to upgrade in sound but i am trying to lose the least whilst hopefully pocketing some cash after the bowers sale.

I have heard the Spendor SA1s and really liked them so am leaning towards them. Igg i know you love yours but could you comment on how these might work with my amp. I know my amps probibly over kill for small bookshelfers but i love it and will not change it yet.

Any other small speakers that have a small footprint i should hear Bearing in mind i want to keep the sound comparable to the bowers. They WILL also be close to a wall.

PS one dealer brought this up - i should get the bigger 804S!! Because acording to him they boom less??? than the smaller 805S? Thats illogical as far as im concerned. Is this true??

Cheers!

A

Anonymous

Hey Shaxos. From some reviews of the SA1s, e.g. Hifi+, I understand that they're so revealing they can be partnered with equipment that go way beyond their price tags. They're very smooth and pretty neutral, revealing the characteristics of the equipment and thus benefiting from the best you can throw at them. They image very well indeed. Definitely worth an audition with your amp, and make sure that you at least try the dedicated stands in open space to hear them do their disappearing act. Despite such magical potential they also work well in a variety of placements.

I would also short list the new Proac 1SC replacement, the Response D1. I've only heard the former but ruled them out quickly due to their rear port and my awkward positioning. I'm moving next week and will have a much bigger space so I might need to flog the SA1s!

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
atc's go right up against a wall without too much drama and, imo, can't be bettered at the price. butt ugly compared to sa1's though.

A

Anonymous

ATC scm19's would be my only choice. Especially if you have a powerful amplifier. Am i correct in thinking you have a MF KW500? If so the ATC's would work wonders. I am the proud owner of the scm40's, and for neutrality, dynamics and power-handling they are unmatched. All ATC'S in the Entry series fall within +/- 2.5dB frequency response error (measurd by keith Howard for HiFi News, not just taken off the ATC website). This makes them extremely accurate.

I have heard the opinions of some who do not like these speakers because they are "too honest". If you want to hear the recording as originally intended (the entire point in High Fidelity) then there is no such thing as "too honest". My advice - give them a listen if you can, you will not regret it.

Cheers

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
How big or small is the new gaff going to be, with 3 grand to spend and in manchester i'm sure there are many dealers in that fine city to audition speakers and do you have the MF super chargers as it's not in your profile so i cant help you there but i have the same problem but different in a feng shui way, i have moved around the corner in the same block but the windows are on my right and all my other set ups have had the windows on the left so i'm still coming to terms with my set up, i know this doesn't help much but i appreciate your problem anyway good luck to your team in the charity shield tomorrow and as my missus is a chelsea fan and me an arsenal fan without a trophy for 4 years i shall be rooting for united. I bet youd never hear an arsenal fan saying that, oh Regas are good speakers, might be worth thinking about.

Hi SHAXOS

You should also consider ATC's SCM19 speakers. They are not too fussy about room placement. The 19's performance potential is massive (much of this due to the superb and massively engineered studio mid/bass drive unit which itself is not too far of weighing as much as a complete 805s and features ATC's Super Linear Magnet Technology) and they'll enable the qualities of your existing and future components to shine through.

The SCM19's (amongst their other qualities) have a neutral, uncoloured, powerful and natural presentation. They'll be quite an upgrade!
emotion-1.gif

Btw, ime the 804 needs more room than the 805 does otherwise things (the LF in particular) starts to get itself into a twist.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts