NVA amps

james_LR90

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Yep. As you can see by my sig I own an AP10P. Not for long though as I have just made use of the NVA upgrade offer and ordered an AP20. My new amp is being built at the moment.

Neptune_Twilight

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
@ James: Interesting to see you are using the Magnum K2's - My father had a pair of the MK1's back around 1970 maybe, they were built of plywood I remember & the back was held on by a myriad of screws - I thought they sounded amazing - How do the K2's compare to modern offering as I see them going on Ebay from time to time, he originally ran them with the Goodmans Amp & Tuner (audio-suite?) they brought out - The amp was was only 15 WPC & I think was the first silicone transistor amp, but the Magnums must be efficient as they went quite (very) loud.

james_LR90

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Funny you should say that as I also have a pair of Ks in walnut which I am restoring and doing a few modifications to. I absolutely love my K2s and only came to hear of them on the forum which is run by Richard Dunn who is the guy who makes NVA amps. He was recommending them to someone who had an AP20 so I decided to get on the look out. I paid £70 for the K2s in mint condition and £50 for the Ks.

Before buying them I never would have dreamt about having such old speakers as I thought they would just sound complete rubbish. I couldn't have been any more wrong. They sound effortless. Its hard to explain but they just sound so right. Bass is deep and punchy and mods and highs are perfectly balanced. I couldn't be happier with them and I believe I would need to spend silly money to better them. They easily wipe the floor with the Kef ref model two speakers I had before them. As you will know, they ain't pretty and that could be why you don't hear more of them on forums. Or maybe they are just completely under most peoples radar. Either way in glad as it means that anyone who does happen to come across them is in for a treat and for an absolute steal!!!

Neptune_Twilight

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for that ! - Shows how little we have moved forward in loudspeakers, in the in 40+ years & I feel in some ways have gone backwards - If I can sneak a pair past my other half I will, they at the same time as the the K's did a unit called I think called the Magister? with a 15" woofer & also probably the first compact speaker made (Maxim?) then Goodmans seemed to throw it all away? :dance:

james_LR90

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
No worries. Yeah they did one called the Magister with a 15 inch bass driver. From what I have seen they look like a seriously big speaker and they also come highly recommended by Mr Dunn. I would love a pair but there is not a chance in hell I could get them past my other half. She is not best pleased about the Magnum's but she likes the sound of them so I can just about get away with them!

I think you are right about the lack of speaker progression and as you say we may have just taken a step backwards. Multiple small drivers just cannot do what a big driver can IMO. I know nothing about loudspeaker design but I do know that I love what my Magnum's can do!

I would say without a doubt that you should get yourself a pair if you can get away with it. If you get a chance you should check out the hi-fi subjectivist forum. There are a couple of threads about the Goodmans on there, one of which is a thread I started.

Neptune_Twilight

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
james_LR90 said:
No worries. Yeah they did one called the Magister with a 15 inch bass driver. From what I have seen they look like a seriously big speaker and they also come highly recommended by Mr Dunn. I would love a pair but there is not a chance in hell I could get them past my other half. She is not best pleased about the Magnum's but she likes the sound of them so I can just about get away with them!

Likewise, at the moment my other half is getting a new car so the next few weeks might be a good time for changes, I can't see her going for anything with a15" driver in,12 " maybe? - I'll check the thread mentioned - Thanks

james_LR90

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
12" is still plenty good enough! I think the Magnum's are just about as big as most people could possibly get away with in a modern domestic setting. Oh if you do happen to get a pair make sure you put them on stands. Mine are raised about 40cm but having them off the floor makes a big difference.

Please do let us know if you decide to go for a pair and what you think of them. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts