November Issue....was the spell/grammar checker on strike this month?

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Obviously this is no big deal at all, in fact quite 'tongue in cheek', but I received my copy today, and I've found more grammar mistakes than ever before.....

For example, in the summary of the Group test on the Receivers (page 65), the words 'a little more precise' is mentioned twice in one sentence??? I think the second 'precise' should have been 'tighter'.

There were also a few other things I noticed, but as I have now read most of the mag, I can't remember what/where they were.

As I say, mentioning this it's not a complaint but a little bit of fun. I imagine spotting everything is very tricky.

P.S. Very interesting 'The Big Question' this month!!!!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Sorry about that.
As we get to the really pointy part ahead of annual Awards - when the content of our test rooms (and consequently the mag contents) is more subject to change as exciting new products do/do not land - we maximise our time with the products, and production schedules get even more rushed than normal.
We'd rather maximise reviewing than writing time.

Add in the shows we're covering for news - IFA; CEDIA - in the same period and you get less time on page-proofing, more time on (again) the products.

All about the priorities; apologies again.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
As I said, it's no problem Clare......dread to think how many words are actually in a magazine that size!!!

Looking at some of the reviews in this months issue, I reckon the Awards will be very interesting!!! (A few late candidates in there, me thinks!!!)

The count down to The Manchester Show is on........(you going Clare?)

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
There are even more new products in the First Test section of Awards issue... Still plenty of surprises in store!

And yes, I will be at Manchester - we'll be the ones looking totally pasty/exhausted, having spent a month or so cloistered indoors obsessing about products :)

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
The perks of the job, I guess!!!

Just read Marantz, Denon and Sony are not involved this year, which is a bit of a shame.

Marantz especially....as the new 6000 series are just out.....

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Just reading the Show's website and Marantz are listed as an exhibitor....is this true now?

It was mentioned by a forum member that they were not taking part this year?

TALON1973

May 26, 2008
Visit site
hmm , odd i dont seem to have got my copy yet ... tescos got it in-store before my delivery :(

" edit "

managed to find my sub email :-

Start issue of "JUL-11" (Published on or around 02/06/11)

Lapse issue of "SPE-11"

so i should be getting my copy ??? also when i login via my details on haymarket subs site it says i still have 6 issues to go...... so cant follow that oen either.... anyone from teh team able to shed soem light please :)

A

Anonymous

The magazine always has spelling and grammar errors but I turn a blind eye as I like the piccies and features. Just one thought though from a grammar school educated old codger.

There is excessive use of hyphenation all the time instead. How's about bringing back the good old fashioned commas, colons and semi colons. Or should that be semi-colons?

Also I think it was the September issue detailed a Denon AV receiver review on the front page, but try as I may I couldn't find it anywhere inside the magazine. Maybe I had some pages-missing.

Every- best- wish- to the- team

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
nick8858 said:
Also I think it was the September issue detailed a Denon AV receiver review on the front page, but try as I may I couldn't find it anywhere inside the magazine. Maybe I had some pages-missing.

Yes, as explained and apologised for at the time, the Denon dropped out between the cover being sent for print and the rest of the issue being completed. The review of the Denon in question is here.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
nick8858 said:

Yes, as explained and apologised for at the time, the Denon dropped out between the cover being sent for print and the rest of the issue being completed. The review of the Denon in question is here.

Indeed. As soon as we realised we'd missed the chance to get the Denon review in the issue, we made it a web exclusive, published ahead of it appearing as part of a Group Test in the October issue.

A

Anonymous

Is that a conjunction?

Obviously you went to a better school than me cos I don't know what a conjunction is. Or is it maybe a con-junction?

Point noted about Denon review and correction/solution ref web based review instead. I'll have a look at that one as it looks interesting.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts