Not waking up the neighbours!

matthewpiano

Morning all.

I will shortly be moving into a 5th floor flat. There's nobody above and nobody on 3-sides, but I want to do everything I can to avoid issues with the neighbours below.

I will be using either my Wharfedale Linton 85s on their dedicated stands, or stand-mounts on spiked Atacama Mosecco 5 stands. The floor is carpeted, and I have bought a rug to place between the speakers and my listening position. I rarely get above 70-75dB, and I'm not a bass hound. I'm also mindful of hours and wouldn't play music on the hi-fi before 9am or after 10.30pm.

What else can I do to minimise any potential impact on the downstairs neighbours? Is there anything I could put directly underneath the speaker stands that would help?

Is there anything I could put directly underneath the speaker stands that would help?
I think that’ll depend on what the floor is. A 5th floor flat I’m guessing is most likely purpose built, and the two flats I’ve owned both had concrete floors that I think are strictly described as ‘sprung’. By that I mean there are concrete beams and a screed, presumably on some load bearing structure, rather than, say, timbers with wooden floorboards.

A nice thick underlay with carpets will presumably give better insulation than trendy hardwood or vinyl flooring. And will be beneficial for the sound too, especially if you’ve got a large glass area.

I knew a (Manchester-based) pianist and teacher whose Steinway grand was on a raised platform in her flat, presumably to insulate it somewhat from others. But it sounded a bit ‘woody’ which isn’t perhaps surprising!

Markmaguire

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Apparently these are very good

But they are not cheap! About £1700 for a pair of size 2 (and you'd need bigger ones for those Wharfdales).

I've been working on a way of building my own based on the same principle.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts