Not got a clue!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've decided to get a new stereo so plan to buy What Hi Fi award winners where possible. I'm not sure if it all matches though so would appreciate some advice. My plan is to buy the Yamaha A-S500 amp and Marantz CD6003 and pair this with either Monitor Audio RX1's or EB Acoustic's EB1's but is this amp going to do the job? Or is it worth saving a bit more and getting the Dynaudio DM2/6's? Would this mean I would need to get a better amp and CD player? Oh it's a neverending minefield!! Any advice you could give would help put my mind at rest!!

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
with all due respect the star system, in terms of system matching it does not mean they will gell as a system. You could pick a bright sounding but 5 star amp, CD player and speakers and find you have a system that strips paint. Use the star rating to guide you to good product by all means, but let your ears be the final judge. As you are obviously looking for a system you will probably not get the chance to have a clean start again, so get the foundation right now and enjoy what you have, plus later upgrades for years to come.

I would think about the room, how it is furnished, how big it is, and what speakers would fill it with music. Then find a amp that will drive them properly, and the CD player that best balances.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. Listening for yourself as suggested is always worthwhile if possible. If not, the Yamaha A-S500 amp is better matched IMHO to either Wharfedale 10.0 or 10.1 speakers. The Yamaha CD-S300 is a perfect match for the amp (for obvious reasons) though I haven't heard it within the Marantz.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
If you want to go with the whole 'WHF recommended' theme, then note that the A-S500 reviewers suggested partnering with a Marantz CD6003 and Monitor Audio BX2s...

clicky

In their words... "Used with well-behaved speakers and electronics - Monitor Audio's BX2s and Marantz's CD6003 CD player, say - the A-S500 shines."

Use that as a starting point for demonstration at your local dealer and see how it goes from there.

Worth bearing in mind that EB1s or Arcaydis DM1 speakers (both 5 starred) have to be ordered online and cannot be tried out beforehand. They will also take around 6 - 8 weeks to be delivered. (Although I haven't seen a bad word written - about either speaker system - from their owners here on the forum.)

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
chebby:

(Although I haven't seen a bad word spoken about either speakers from their owners here on the forums.)

Steven Fry would not approve
emotion-14.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts