Not enough HDMI ports - what should I do?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a panasonic TV which has attached to it Sky HD, a panasonic DVD home theatre, an xbox and a wii. I am about to buy a PS3. However, I have only two HDMI ports which are used for the Sky and the dvd surround sound. What should I do about attaching the PS3? Just keep swapping the Sky HDMI? Would this not damage the port or cable over time? And how do I attach the PS3 to the surround sound?

I want to get the best out of the Sky and PS3 the most.

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
you can get a switch box from e bay for about £25 that uses an external pwer supply and has a metal body and has 1.3 spec

i use one of these on my set up it also has auto switching that works well with the harmony one remote.

you can get cheaper plastic pasive ones but i would go for the build quality

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
this is the kind i have

HDMI-Splitter-2-way-BestLink.jpg

any should work in daves link above,just need to make sure its 1.3 or 1.4 if using your ps3 or sky for 3d(i think that is the spec thay use for 3d)sombody should be able to confirm
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Thank you both. Was thinking of going for the £19.99 one that is just the cable. What do you think? And what cable do I use to connect to my surround sound?

A

Anonymous

Does the splitter need to be mains powered? The cable I mentioned just looks to be that and not mains powered.

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
i dont think it matters if its powered or not i went for a powered one as in the past ive got on better with powerd scart and usb switches,so i autamatcaly went for a powered one,but im sure the pasive ones work ok(i think my dad has one with no issues)

A

Anonymous

U not thought about getting a cheap Receiver? this way you can plug everything into it then just 1 HDMI cable to the TV?

A

Anonymous

I hadn't because until now I never knew what they were! I'll see how I go for now and maybe consider in the future. Thanks.

daveh75

G Girl:
SA-PT570Just checked the tech spec's and it only has one pair of stereo analogue inputs and no digital inputs....

So just use the red/white connectors (ignore the yellow one,that's composite video) on the multi-av cable that comes supplied with the PS3.

20080421062553195.jpg

A

Anonymous

I do have an optical in at the minute. Think that's to the sky. I know I'm being very vague, but the shop I bought it from set it up.

A

Anonymous

I have just checked the back of the surround sound unit and there is a red & white cable already in coming from the TV. The only things free are 3 ports called component video out and a scart.

What's the red/white from the TV doing?

daveh75

G Girl:
I have just checked the back of the surround sound unit and there is a red & white cable already in coming from the TV. The only things free are 3 ports called component video out and a scart.

What's the red/white from the TV doing?

Just had another check, and it has 1 optical and 1 pair of stereo analogue inputs, and you're currently using them both, so without disconnecting either the Sky box or the audio from the TV there's not really a lot you can do, other than connect the PS3 directly to the TV and use the TVs speakers

The red/white lead from the TV is providing audio from the TVs internal tuner.

A

Anonymous

Do I need the one from the TV? Is the HDMI not doing that? Sorry for my lack of tech knowledge.

A

Anonymous

I don't really have the space for another unit, but am also reluctant to have to pay for another item

A

Anonymous

Thank you again. So is there a separate optical cable I need to buy to attach from the PS3 to the splitter?

daveh75

Yes, you'll need two extra optical cables... One from the the PS3 to the switch and one from the switch to your surround system, then connect the one thats currently connected from Sky box to the home cinema to the switch.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi G Girl, possibly the easiest thing to do would be to plug the red and white cables into your TV input if it has one - which model TV do you have? You won't get surround sound from the PS3 with this though.

Otherwise, you could also get one of these which will let you plug in both the Sky and PS3 into your surround system. You'd just need to switch to the correct input when you changed from one to the other.

EDIT - oops, well beaten, ignore me!

A

Anonymous

Aaargh! Still need help. What optical cable do I need? On the site with the splitter now and I don't know which one I need.

TRENDING THREADS