Not 1 SACD in HMV !!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey whats up with that, I said you sell them on-line but not in the shop, not even one.

I asked one guy and he looked at me like I was the one that was dumb, asking what the heck is that, I said sorry, what do you mean an SACD? he said yes.

I said arent you the one that works here ? he said yes but never heard of it before, I advised ok, could you ask, and so a big company meeting insued at the cash desk with 2 managers a supervisor and about 4 clerks all scratching their heads?

Am I the only one that thinks, if you work in a music shop you would know what it is.

So the end result after they emailed the brilliant mind of steven hawkin and some other nobel prize winners was...... Maybe you should order it on-line.

WOW, no wonder I buy everything on-line, took 20 mins for that result.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
I cannot remember the last time I bought music or a DVD/Blu-ray in a shop - why would you? I think you were being very optimistic in HMV.

A

Anonymous

Well got the Pink Floyd 30th for 5.99 from zavvi, seems a wicked price, and from sales on ebay, if I dont like I can get my money back.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
canada16:

Well got the Pink Floyd 30th for 5.99 from zavvi, seems a wicked price, and from sales on ebay, if I dont like I can get my money back.

you won't regret it

unfocused

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
They will have a few but the sales people don't have a clue. The HMV in Edinburgh had a pile of the Dark Side Of The Moon hybrid in the sale but I'm sure if I asked staff about SACD I would have got a blank look

T

the record spot

HMV in Edinburgh is a good example - the classical (okay, not the rock one you were interested in) section upstairs has loads of SACDs. Downstairs, I agree, the rock section doesn't have loads - the odd one but not many. The Genesis 5.1 boxset for 1970-75, but they're flogging that for £130...you can get it online for almost half that.

T

the record spot

NB: The DM discs were rereleased by EMI but sans SACD compatibility. Caveat emptor. Same goes for the MoFi Dead Can Dance sets. Limited editions that went off the shelves quickly.

nads

the CD+DVD collectors editions 2006 withe the 24bit/96k dts and DD 24bit on the DVD
emotion-5.gif
with the SACD hybrids.

and some of the other are also SDCDs like the 2005 Playing the Angel.

Just a shame the new ones are not.

DavidNorway

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
hammill:I cannot remember the last time I bought music or a DVD/Blu-ray in a shop - why would you? I think you were being very optimistic in HMV.

I think this ^ is very sad,do people really want shops to vanish from the high street?

Why would i go in to a music shop? Because the feeling of flicking through cd or vinyl and finding great music is a great experience,just as going in to a hifi shop and making a demo of new speakers is lots of fun.Long live the record shops.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
SACD will always be a niche format, but IMHO there is still no substitute for a good SACD if you want the best possible physical media of any album, providing it has been mastered well.
emotion-1.gif

staggerlee

Apr 11, 2008
Visit site
To be fair to HMV, there isn't much demand for SACD so stocking them in a shop takes up valuable space. The big HMV's are Ok but the smaller ones tend to be full of chart fodder, ipod accessories, dvd's and books now. Not much choice cd wise.

T

the record spot

nads:
the CD+DVD collectors editions 2006 withe the 24bit/96k dts and DD 24bit on the DVD
emotion-5.gif
with the SACD hybrids.

and some of the other are also SDCDs like the 2005 Playing the Angel.

Just a shame the new ones are not.

Yep, I know - I picked up Playing The Angel (which seemed to be more commonly obtained than some of the others - one title goes for good money on Ebay) and one other as a bargain bin find. Other than that, they shipped out quickly. I nearly had my fingers burnt when HMV in Edinburgh sold them for £9.99 - they still had the digipack at the time, but the SACD logo had gone. The Dead Can Dance titles however, although no longer SACD issues, still have the Mobile Fidelity mix. Worth a tenner for that alone given their usual prices.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
A little harsh on HMV. They're not employed to know their formats, but for their knowledge of the artists, albums etc. HMV may not be a great company, but generally their staff know their music. The lack of an answer suggests you're the first person to ask the question in the store, so you can't really blame them.

Keep shopping on the High Street too. We can't afford to lose this knowledge.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
DavidNorway:

hammill:I cannot remember the last time I bought music or a DVD/Blu-ray in a shop - why would you? I think you were being very optimistic in HMV.

I think this ^ is very sad,do people really want shops to vanish from the high street?

Why would i go in to a music shop? Because the feeling of flicking through cd or vinyl and finding great music is a great experience,just as going in to a hifi shop and making a demo of new speakers is lots of fun.Long live the record shops.

To get to my nearest record shop is an 8 mile drive, a walk and several pounds just to park. When I get there they have a poorer selection than I can get online, they are more expensive and the staff are not up to much. I could have ordered the product online in 5 minutes. Time is my most precious commodity and I would rather spend the little spare time I have listening to music rather than buying it.

I really do not care if record shops disappear from the hight street in the same way as I don't care that one can no longer buy traction engines.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Lee H:A little harsh on HMV. They're not employed to know their formats

Well they should be! Even if they don't sell a format they should at least have enough awareness of it to say "I'm sorry we don't stock SACD".

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Went to my closest hmv and bought the WHF reccomended- Sudjan Stevens- Age of Adz. I was pleasantly surprised at the 5 minute conversation with the checkout guy about the artist, he didnt even worry about the growing queue behind me!! Never even seen any SACD software on the shelves anywhere!! Format or lack of public awareness??

DavidNorway

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
hammill:DavidNorway:

To get to my nearest record shop is an 8 mile drive, a walk and several pounds just to park. When I get there they have a poorer selection than I can get online, they are more expensive and the staff are not up to much. I could have ordered the product online in 5 minutes. Time is my most precious commodity and I would rather spend the little spare time I have listening to music rather than buying it.

I really do not care if record shops disappear from the hight street in the same way as I don't care that one can no longer buy traction engines.
You do realise that soon you will have no high street to drive 8 MILES! to and wont be able to buy anything,maybe the pound shop on the corner that used to be woolworths is still open for your shopping experience,long live the record shop and the high street.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
DavidNorway:hammill:DavidNorway:

You do realise that soon you will have no high street to drive 8 MILES! to and wont be able to buy anything,maybe the pound shop on the corner that used to be woolworths is still open for your shopping experience,long live the record shop and the high street.Currently go there once or twice a year at most. Buy almost everything online. We used to have a woolworths, never shopped there. Online is the future - actually it is the present. Our food comes from Ocado - that is one and half hours of misery a week gone. Our only trip to a shop for xmas this year was to argos - only because items were out of stock online. I always have better ways to spend my time than shopping.

T

the record spot

We sometimes do an online shopping order from Tesco. However, we found it took as long to plough through the many options, even when we DID have a good idea of the stuff we needed, that it was talking as long to do as it did to go out to the shop anyway! Ended up that the shopping experience was better in the shop as opposed to online, and we now leave the latter to "last resort" territory.

Time is a commodity for me too and I've probably as little (run my own business, have young twins, do my own accounts, etc, etc.) but there's times when it's good to leave a laptop behind and occasionally remind myself I'm part of the community...!

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Lee H:

Keep shopping on the High Street too. We can't afford to lose this knowledge.

I agree in principle, but unfortunately all our local independents (including the much-missed Andy's) went years ago, so HMV is the only opportunity to browse. HMV shops are full of kids playing (rarely buying it seems) games, it's full of the wrong sort of noise and they've hardly ever got anything outside 'the norm' to choose from. But when you do fancy a look and go in, you soon realise that their prices are a good couple of quid more than even THEIR online prices. So what's their master-plan there? And I've only ever seen 1 SACD in our local branch (DSOTM).

T

the record spot

Check the Dire Straits section; they might have Brothers In Arms for £12 on SACD. Picked mine up the other month. It's not bad, but I hear the original CD is far better than either the first remaster or the SACD apparently.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts