Nostalgia System

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've had various set-ups over the years, but currently find myself with only the following: 1 x Arcam CD62 1 x Mission Cyrus 1 (broken) 1 x Technics RS-BX 626 cassette deck (highly rated in 1992) 1 a pair Mordant Short 904's You'll notice there is no amp in that set-up! However, I've just realised that I can get amps from the 1990's I could never afford for not much money on eBay, so I've hit on the idea of assembling the best sounding, cheapest system I can, made up of separates I could only aspire to years ago. It's a sort of challenge. Amplification is my main need - can anyone recommend what I ought to be looking for - I fancy a pre/power combination but I'm not sure on how I will match them without testing, so am I best sticking with one manufacturer? Rotel stuff seems very reasonable, and I used to like the sound of my integrated one (RA820Ax or something) I've also been told to look out for a Musical Fidelity B1 by a mate who used to have one. Will a pre/power combo be better value sound for pound than an integrated do you think? I don't want to spend much more than £200, otherwise you're in the realms of real money! Or would a new £200 amp be better than what I could get off eBay? I don't need remote control, but it would be nice. Nor do I need a million inputs, I have a Yamaha surround sound thing for DVD and TV sound. I would like to add a record deck (also from eBay) so a phono stage would be nice, although I don't mind buying a phone pre-amp rather than miss out on an otherwise fantastic amp. So really I'm after suggestions - what amp represents the best value second hand, up to a budget of £200 ish (i.e I'll probably end up sepnding £300!) Ta

A

Anonymous

Arcam Alpha 9 amp,that`s what I have and I love it,sounds sweet,but has balls too,seen them on e-bay for between 100 and 200 quid before now.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
to match your tape deck?

or this digital class AA integrated amp

like VDU's?

I have found there are few true bargains on eBay. Every seller wants as much as possible for their items. Sometimes you can be lucky and spot something inappropriately listed, so doesn't get many bidders, but generally items sell for their second hand value. With a budget of £200 I'm afraid you will only get a £200 second hand amp that cost between £400-£500 new, so nothing special. At least not in the league you may be hoping for.

A

Anonymous

I have an Arcam CD62 which I use with an Audiolaab 8000a / Pro-Ject Xpression turntable / Epos ELS3 speakers. You can usually pick an 8000a up for about £100 from Ebay with the added bonus that it comes with a pretty good phono stage. Look out for the later models with 60 wpc and the extra "video" input.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies so far - the Cyrus is still at £102 with 10 minutes to go...

I know I'm not going to get a £10k amp for £10 on eBay, but I'm prepared to bide my time; I haven't had a proper hi-fi for 4 years so there's no rush!

It doesn't really need to be matched to the cassette deck as I hardly have any tapes anymore, I just mentioned I had that for completeness. I only use it to play tapes so I can burn them to CD / put them on my iPod now.

Really I just want good sound, and a bit of fun - I haven't got enough interest or cash to build a really breathtaking system, I just want something to sound as good or better than the Mission used to. I'll probably end up selling things back on eBay when I get bored of them, or see something better. Unless someone next-door is selling speakers I think I'll stick with the Mourdant Shorts for a bit though.

I'm watching a few Audiolab amps, a few Rotel pre and powers, and some Naim stuff, just in case no-one bids!

Do you think at this price point a pre/power combo will outperform an integrated? For example, this Rotel will probably be in my price range, but then so will an 8000A or the aforementioned Arcams.

A

Anonymous

In another thread I'm talking about changing my Cyrus II/PSX for a quality mini system like a Denon etc. Most opinions say don't because the Cyrus is still a very credible bit of kit.

What's gone wrong with yours?

Why don't you just get a Cyrus II for around £100-£150. That will be a big upgrade on your Cyrus I... particularly if you go for one of the latest black models with the flip mains switch rather than the grey one with a push button.

These old Cyrus models still give satisfaction long after the "flavour of the week" Japanese integrated models have slipped into history.

Talking about value I paid £400 for mine in 1985, that was a fair chunk of cash then. In 2000 one of the magazines did a used classic test on the Cyrus II and commented it would still give most amps under £1000 a run for their money..... so to get one for £100 now or so is a real bargain.

BTW I have the highly reviewed Technics 626BX tape deck like yours, the first deck I'd used that produced anything like a useable casette sound.... very decent bass quality.

David

timwileman

Mar 19, 2008
Visit site
northern soul......just seen a audiolab 8000a on ebay for 100 notes, ending soon so shouldnt go for much above that...........i might buy one private so am interested on how much there going for on ebay, looks like a touch above 100 quid is the price

A

Anonymous

Interestingly for me the Audiolab 8000 and Cyrus II are "the" amps of the 80/90s to consider as budget used bargains now. Their overall quality is very similar and the choice just down to your particular sonic taste.

David

A

Anonymous

The Mission was a tip find; I pulled it out of a skip! That is what started me on this scheme really; finding something as renowned as that abandoned made me wonder how much hi-fi of my youth you could get for not much. It only worked for about half an hour, and now keeps blowing fuses, but it was enough to re-ignite my interest. I may get it looked at to see if it is fixable, as for a total investment so far of £0 I don't mind spending a bit on fixing it.

I watching a couple of Audiolabs now; is it right they can be switched to be used as pre-amps as well as an integrated?

My partner, however, wants this Harmon Kardon as she thinks it looks nice. It wasn't quite what I had in mind, but it might be interesting!

I think the Audiolabs, another Mission or a Rotel pre/power combo are the favourites. Then I just need to get a turntable...

Thanks for all your input

timwileman

Mar 19, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Northern Soul"]

I watching a couple of Audiolabs now; is it right they can be switched to be used as pre-amps as well as an integrated?

[/quote]

I believe that you can........

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Northern Soul"]
The Mission was a tip find; I pulled it out of a skip! That is what started me on this scheme really; finding something as renowned as that abandoned made me wonder how much hi-fi of my youth you could get for not much. It only worked for about half an hour, and now keeps blowing fuses, but it was enough to re-ignite my interest. I may get it looked at to see if it is fixable, as for a total investment so far of £0 I don't mind spending a bit on fixing it.

My partner, however, wants this Harmon Kardon as she thinks it looks nice. It wasn't quite what I had in mind, but it might be interesting!

I think the Audiolabs, another Mission or a Rotel pre/power combo are the favourites. Then I just need to get a turntable...

Thanks for all your input[/quote]

That HK is probably a bit too vintage and may not survive the journey. For excellent quality second hand HK amps look here:
HIFI-LEIPZIG

Will run rings around any budget Cyrus or Audiolab gear and only 15 or 17 Euros p&p from Germany.

A

Anonymous

I agree that old HK amp on EBay is a bit too old. I've bought and resold quite a few amps from the 70s over the past few years and some are truly terrible.... both for sonic quality and faults. Most of their price is down to the retro cool look not musical ability.

I mentioned the Cyrus II and Audiolab 8000 as "the " two to look at from that era and on EBay as budget used buys because I know both well and like their different sounds, they are easy to repair and have often been looked after by an enthusiast as opposed to a sundry amp out of a rack. Their sound was pretty consistently praised over many years unlike some flavour of the month models that came and went.

The HK models linked to at that dealer would not be guaranteed to run rings around the Cyrus/Audiolab but may sound different in a way that appeals to some. We are talking about the Cyrus/Audiolab as budget used buys now but of course in their day they were anything but... particularly with PSX or pre/power combos.

David

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="AltecLansing"]I agree that old HK amp on EBay is a bit too old. I've bought and resold quite a few amps from the 70s over the past few years and some are truly terrible.... both for sonic quality and faults. Most of their price is down to the retro cool look not musical ability.

I mentioned the Cyrus II and Audiolab 8000 as "the " two to look at from that era and on EBay as budget used buys because I know both well and like their different sounds, they are easy to repair and have often been looked after by an enthusiast as opposed to a sundry amp out of a rack. Their sound was pretty consistently praised over many years unlike some flavour of the month models that came and went.

The HK models linked to at that dealer would not be guaranteed to run rings around the Cyrus/Audiolab but may sound different in a way that appeals to some. We are talking about the Cyrus/Audiolab as budget used buys now but of course in their day they were anything but... particularly with PSX or pre/power combos.

David[/quote]

This applies equally to the HK gear too. Also a lot of gear is overpriced when new, such as Naim, Cyrus IMO, as you pay a premium for the brand name. Not so much with the HK gear. it's more down to earth, for want of a better term. As far as running rings round, have you heard a HK680 or 6550 amp? They punch far above their specs suggest due to their design.

This advice giving isn't a point scoring exercise you know; I just think when considering second hand amps for the OP's budget, Karmon Hardon is a reliable, value for money brand to consider. There are plenty of other brands out there too, apart from WHF's 5-star favourites. With HK you get a lot of amp for not much lolly. :eek:)

A

Anonymous

Heard a HK680 but in a system and circumstances where I couldn't make any comparisions..... but it sounded fine. I do appreciate the HK stuff and have been aware of the brand for years. I did try one of their offerings on home audition at the time I bought the Cyrus. It was an unfair comparision though as the particular HK model I auditioned was less than half the price of the Cyrus at the time.

You're right there is no point scoring in all of this. I only chuck in an opinion on the gear and eras I know well.... and that's often some weird gear from years ago! The other 90% of stuff out there I leave to others.

David

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts