Nokia OVI Suite music to iTunes

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Just gone from a Nokia 5800 to the iPhone 4, all very good apart from I cannot seem to selct all songs in the OVI play list and transfer them to iTunes

I have dropped Vodafone a note on this but (surprise, surprise) I have not received any notification (leave alone assistance) back on this issue

Help please!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Not a Nokia Ovi expert, but reading around it seems that until recently music downloaded via what was the Nokia Music Store was in WMA format with DRM (digital rights management) to prevent exactly the kind of of copying you're trying to do.

Now, since the revamp to the Ovi Music brand, files are MP3 with no DRM (as far as I can see), so should transfer just fine. Older files are protected, and there's no (legal) way of converting them to unprotected files you can import into iTunes.

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
Not a Nokia Ovi expert, but reading around it seems that until recently music downloaded via what was the Nokia Music Store was in WMA format with DRM (digital rights management) to prevent exactly the kind of of copying you're trying to do.

Now, since the revamp to the Ovi Music brand, files are MP3 with no DRM (as far as I can see), so should transfer just fine. Older files are protected, and there's no (legal) way of converting them to unprotected files you can import into iTunes.

Hmm..................a lot of the music in the OVI suite was transferred there from the OH's iPod ..................or am I solving the problem as I write, i.e would allow iPod to OVI howver there is protection to transfer for a second time?

Does that make sense at all?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Sort of depends how it stored the music transferred from the iPod. If it stored it as DRM'd WMA (which would seem bizarre), then that would be a problem, but if it's just converted the files to non-DRM WMA (which of course Itunes won't touch, it being the work of a different megalomanic corporation hell-bent on world-domination) then all you may need is a program able (quite legally) to convert WMA to MP3. These are available as shareware/freeware all over the place.

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Sort of depends how it stored the music transferred from the iPod. If it stored it as DRM'd WMA (which would seem bizarre), then that would be a problem, but if it's just converted the files to non-DRM WMA (which of course Itunes won't touch, it being the work of a different megalomanic corporation hell-bent on world-domination) then all you may need is a program able (quite legally) to convert WMA to MP3. These are available as shareware/freeware all over the place.

Andrew

Quite so..............

and thanks for the advice, will take a look

T

the record spot

Andrew Everard:
...it being the work of a different megalomanic corporation hell-bent on world-domination...

That Haymarket Publishing's getting too big for its boots if you ask me...!

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
fayeanddavid:
Andrew Everard:Sort of depends how it stored the music transferred from the iPod. If it stored it as DRM'd WMA (which would seem bizarre), then that would be a problem, but if it's just converted the files to non-DRM WMA (which of course Itunes won't touch, it being the work of a different megalomanic corporation hell-bent on world-domination) then all you may need is a program able (quite legally) to convert WMA to MP3. These are available as shareware/freeware all over the place.

Andrew

Quite so..............

and thanks for the advice, will take a look

All sorted, most of the music on OH's Mac, did a "family share" thing and I have all but a few back in iTunes on my pc

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts