Noisy picture in dark scenes - Panasonic TX-P50st30b

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there!

I've just purchased the above TV but cant decide if i have a faulty set or not

I think the TV's picture over all is absolutley amazing especially with Blu Ray but i cant help but notice quite a lot of very noticeable noise in darker areas of the picture.

I first noticed it whilst playing xbox where one of the loading screens was a block colour of dark grey. I could straight away see the whole display moving with these tiny little dots, really visable not the usual standard plasma dithering im used to! Ive spent the last 3 or so years using my parents Pioneer PDP-428XD and have never noticed anything like this.

I've found that i can reduce the problem by turning the brightness down below 50% but its still visable.

Does anyone know if this is normal with Panasonic plasma TVs?

kevin7.1

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi There

I am not an expert but I do know these screens dont always come ready out the box. My LCD screen was grainy for about the first week. Also my cousin says he on advice, used a special dvd for 100hrs to run in his plasma. Ultimately if you are not happy speak to the retailer from which you purchased the set.

A

Anonymous

Yeah 'lli probably have a chat with the retailer over the weekend just to be sure. If it just the way the TV is then i'll still be happy as the black levels are awesome.

Id still like to know though if anyone with a 2011 panasonic plasma notices the same thing. The tiny dots on the screen seem to be mainly green.

I cant see anything like this on the Pioneer even with all the noise settings off??

Cheers! :)

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Have just bought one of these, it arrives on the 5th Jan.

My brother-in-laws father sells tvs etc in Denmark and for the budget did recommend this tv as a good all rounder.

I will report back on your comments if I experience the same. I have also heard that Plasmas take a while to run in, will report back on that too. I know someone else who knows an awful lot about this sort of thing too.

Bought mine from John Lewis online two days ago after having a hunt around on boxing day for a bargain! Given these were approx £1500 a year ago suggests a decent bit of kit!

I have had a 40inch Sony NX703 that have been very happy with, a Loewe Aventos CRT before that, hope the Panasonic lives up to its reputation!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
It may be worth differentiating between noise caused by cameras and noise caused by electronics. Do you have Zodiac on Bluray? It was filmed using digital cameras, and even in dark scenes, there's no noise. If you try that on your screen and still see noise in darler areas, then it's definitely your TV, but if it looks clean, it'll be film dependent.

A

Anonymous

Could this be the pixel orbiter runnning automatically on the assumption that you'd not be able to see those dots at the distance Panasonic would expect you to sit at? I've noticed similar on almost all blocks of colour, but once sat a few feet away can't make them out.

Now, the issues with motion in areas of flesh tones... That's a different matter! Grrr

A

Anonymous

How close do you sit to your set ?

Problems like this can, of course, be caused by faulty sets, dodgy sources/material or using inappropriate settings, but they can also be caused by sitting too close - closer than the manufacturer would expect you to sit, at least (as mentioned above).

I've never noticed the problem you describe, but I do sit a reasonable distance from my 46GT30 and I don't think I've got my brightness much above half-way either.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts