Noise levels?

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I am toying with the idea of setting up a NAS system. I currently have all my CD collection ripped into FLAC files (approx 600 gb) sat on my old PC upstairs. I have experimented with streaming via my Squeezebox Touch and it works fine, but as a long term solution my PC is not great as apart from being old and power hungry, it is also extremely noisy. It's definitely on it's last legs. I have enjoyed the experience of streaming through this method, using my Asus Nexus to control the SBT.

If I was to move all my music files onto a dedicated NAS ( I've been looking at the Synology products, the DS213J and DS214SE for example seem well regarded) just what are these units like noisewise? For example, would it be practical to have it in the same room as my hi-fi with it not being a background noise issue. Also, is it recommended that you have them switched on 24/7?

Cheers

his dudeness

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
i use the synology 213j for music storage and streaming,like you with a nexus 7,i have never heard the nas at all it is super quiet and the ds audio app is great for controlling it,the nas goes into standbye after 10 min inactivity,i think you can choose a time for this,great piece of kit you wont regret it.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for that, you've backed up what I've read on the Amazon reviews pages.

What HDD are you using in yours? I've had a WD external HDD for back-up purposes for a number of years now with no issues, so was thinking about the WD Red HDD's possibly 2 x 2TB?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts