No Digital Optical Connection

tar5work

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I have just bought the Sony STRDN1040 and the Q Acoustics Q7000i speaker set plus the Sony BDP S790 Blue Ray player. On setting this up i find that my Philips 42 in lcd tv ( 42PF7621D/10 ) does not have a digital optical cable connection. Is it possible to get a converter as the tv does have a dgital out connection ? Please help as i have just convinced my Wife to get this and if i now need to get another tv she willnot be happy. impressed

John Duncan

Indeed - if you use optical you'll miss out on the improved HD sound available from bluray. I'm also surprised the Sony doesn't have a coax digital in (if the Philips has a coax out) - let me check...

While were at it, do you have any set top box for TV broadcasts (eg Sky or Virgin) or are you just using the TV's tuner?

tar5work

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
At the moment i am just using the Tv tuner. So you are saying connect BDP to Sony av via hdmi and Sony av to tv via hdmi and i will not need to connect via the optical cable. Thanks for the replies by the way.

John Duncan

Correct. That will not give you any sound from the TV via your 5.1, but when I get a chance will check connectivity between the Philips and the Sony amp - you will at least be able to connect in stereo, at a guess.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

tar5work said:
Thanks for all your help John and Bigbernhardbresslaw

Is everything all working properly now?

You may need to change some settings on the receiver and blu ray player, so it's worth a good look through the manuals, though if you're anything like me, the more you read, the more confused you get. :)

And remember, people on here can and will help, but it's also worth checking the internet, there's a lot of information out there already.

tar5work

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Sorry me again. I have connected the tv to the receiver via hdmi and coax cable but all i still get is a blue screen no picture or sound. I have a blue ray player connected via hdmi and this all works fine. i have gone into the input settings on the receiver but it wont let me change anything on the tv bit. So any help will be greatly received.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Are you using the internal tv tuner, or do you use a external box like Sky etc?

I'm presuming you are using the internal tuner.

You say blu ray is ok. How have you connected the blu ray player to the tv? Is it via the receiver, or is it direct to the tv?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

It could be as simple as what Simon is saying, but what I'm thinking is that you've connected the hdmi between the tv and receiver incorrectly.

Connect the blu ray player to one of the hdmi inputs on the receiver, then connect another hdmi lead from the output on the back of the receiver to one of the inputs on the tv. Connect the coaxial digital from the tv to a coaxial input on the back of the receiver.

tar5work

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Yes this is exactly how I have got it connected, tv to receiver via hdmi and coax cable then blue ray to av receiver via hdmi and yes I have only got the tuner in the tv .

John Duncan

And you're sure the TV is connect to a receiver's *output*? I ask because you say 'TV *to* receiver'.

You have two sources here: TV and Bluray. The bluray feeds to the receiver which then feeds to the TV, and this is why TV and receiver are connected via HDMI. The television should act normally in terms of picture when you are on the 'TV' input, as in that case you are only using the receiver for sound - select whichever input your TV is plugged into via coax to get TV sound when you are watching normal terrestrial TV. Sorry if this is grandmother/eggs.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4454443411.pdf

Above is the manual for the Sony, it is your friend.

If you can keep on here, we can do this stage by stage. There's no reason why this won't work, it must be that you are doing something wrong somewhere.

1. First, disconnect the hdmi lead and the coaxial lead from the back of the tv.

2. Then, get a picture up on your tv.

3. When you have a picture on the tv, reconnect the coaxial lead to the back of the tv.

Then let us know if you still have a picture on the tv, and if you now have sound comeing through the receiver to your speakers

tar5work

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
:dance: At last. I did as you said and still no joy so i bought an adaptor from maplins to convert coax to optical and still no joy so the last chance i had is i have a kareoke machine which has rca cables on it so i plugged the white and red cable to my tv and the oppisite end to the receiver and hey presto the sound came booming out. I was just about to go mad. Thanks for all your time in this matter.:hand: :clap:

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

tar5work said:
:dance: At last. I did as you said and still no joy so i bought an adaptor from maplins to convert coax to optical and still no joy so the last chance i had is i have a kareoke machine which has rca cables on it so i plugged the white and red cable to my tv and the oppisite end to the receiver and hey presto the sound came booming out. I was just about to go mad. Thanks for all your time in this matter.:hand: :clap:

That's good, but there's no real reason why the sound wouldn't come through the coaxial. It's probably just a case of assigning inputs on the receiver, which is where I was heading towards.

But if you're happy, then it's a god result.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Just checked the Philips as well and it does indeed have a coaxial digital out, so all you need is two HDMI cables and a coaxial (cheap is fine for both, IMO) and you're away.

Does this not do it? Switch bluray off since it may auto detect. TV digital/opt OUT to AV1 receiver IN. Switch Sony to AV1. Otherwise post some pix of your connections? What settings are u using? Optical connections can be fiddly - does yr tv have digital coax? Good luck
Make sure the digital/opt uses AV1 in the amp settings

cjscouse

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
I have recently purchased a Sony BDPS5200 Bluray player, which only has digital coaxial output, my Hi Fi system only has AV jack sockets. I purchased ann AV converter but it's not giving any sound through my system, where am i going wrong.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts