Nexus 4 or Nexus 7

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi again,

This is where I really embarress myself.

I have come to the end of my phone contract and currently have htc wildfire.

I was looking to get another htc and then came across the Nexus 4 which is meant to be the dogs doodahs of a phone, I do control my music from my phone via sbt and mpdroid but find it a bit clunky, I put this down to its age (2 years!!) I also use internet, ebay, maps etc..... when I'm on the move but find its ok until I see what other peoples phones do but I am ok with it, it's only a phone and this technology still staggers me.

I then saw the Nexus 7 which is cheaper than the 4, has a larger memory and I think has a better processor, I think it would do all the stuff I need at home with regards to using my phone and could double as a mini laptop and a second screen for when I watch f1 and possibly many more things if I had it and would be useful on train journeys as well.

So I am thinking I would be better off keeping my old phone and getting a Nexus 7 over a Nexus 4 as it will easily out perform the Nexus 4.
Is this a correct assumption ?

I realise for many of you this is probably so obvious but I really struggle with this stuff, hifi I get I only have to listen, everything else tekkie throws me so apologies in advance.

Thanks again for reading any replies appreciated :oops:

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I kinda agree. I was shot down in another post for wanting a phone to make phone calls. Something modern phones seemingly do less well. The n7 is brilliant for the money IMO. U can tether from the phone if the tab is not on wifi. Each to his/her own I guess.

daveh75

Shanka said:
Hi again, This is where I really embarress myself. I have come to the end of my phone contract and currently have htc wildfire. I was looking to get another htc and then came across the Nexus 4 which is meant to be the dogs doodahs of a phone, I do control my music from my phone via sbt and mpdroid but find it a bit clunky, I put this down to its age (2 years!!) I also use internet, ebay, maps etc..... when I'm on the move but find its ok until I see what other peoples phones do but I am ok with it, it's only a phone and this technology still staggers me. I then saw the Nexus 7 which is cheaper than the 4, has a larger memory and I think has a better processor, I think it would do all the stuff I need at home with regards to using my phone and could double as a mini laptop and a second screen for when I watch f1 and possibly many more things if I had it and would be useful on train journeys as well. So I am thinking I would be better off keeping my old phone and getting a Nexus 7 over a Nexus 4 as it will easily out perform the Nexus 4. Is this a correct assumption ? I realise for many of you this is probably so obvious but I really struggle with this stuff, hifi I get I only have to listen, everything else tekkie throws me so apologies in advance. Thanks again for reading any replies appreciated :oops:

You have it the wrong way round!

The N4 has better CPU, GPU and more RAM than the 7.

I have both but find myself actually using the tablet less since getting the 4.

The 7s screen is obviously better for media 'consumption' but the 4 is better in just about every other aspect including portability imo. I wouldn't for example want to be carrying (even a small tablet like the Nexus) around everywhere + a phone.

For me the tablet is a stay at home device that really now only gets used for reading books/magazines, watching the odd bit of TV/Movie and surfing that saves booting up my laptop.

Tablets dont make very good remotes either imo, due to their size making it a two handed operation, so prefer to use the phone for that too.

If was a choice between one or the other, the phone wins for me.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Shot down again! I'm not unhappy with that tho. Guess its all down to use. I find my Ace is too small to Google etc and only use my tablet on wifi or very rarely tethered. The phone is in my pocket and the tablet at home or in my briefcase. All down to useage and screen size. Sorted??

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Wow that is very interesting I must have got it totally wrong then, very glad I asked, I thought the extra memory would be better with the 7, shows what I know !!
Don't know if I should feel more or less of an a*se.It at least confirms my total lack of knowledge on such matters.

I wouldn't be carrying the tablet around , just the phone, the tablet would generally stay at home but if the phone has the better processor that will smooth out the functionality I guess. The screen is bigger than my current phone so should be an improvement there as well.

I have seen from other posts it is best to get it some protection, I would also be going for the 8 version (cheaper) but thanks again for the info.
I take it those who have the Nexus 4 are very happy with it ?

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Wow that is very interesting I must have got it totally wrong then, very glad I asked, I thought the extra memory would be better with the 7, shows what I know !!
Don't know if I should feel more or less of an a*se.It at least confirms my total lack of knowledge on such matters.

I wouldn't be carrying the tablet around , just the phone, the tablet would generally stay at home but if the phone has the better processor that will smooth out the functionality I guess. The screen is bigger than my current phone so should be an improvement there as well.

I have seen from other posts it is best to get it some protection, I would also be going for the 8 version (cheaper) but thanks again for the info.

daveh75

Shanka said:
Hi, Wow that is very interesting I must have got it totally wrong then, very glad I asked, I thought the extra memory would be better with the 7, shows what I know !! Don't know if I should feel more or less of an a*se.It at least confirms my total lack of knowledge on such matters.

Probably down to pedantry on my part to be fair. But memory = RAM. What you're referring to (I think) is storage which obv. has no impact on performance.

I wouldn't be carrying the tablet around , just the phone, the tablet would generally stay at home but if the phone has the better processor that will smooth out the functionality I guess. The screen is bigger than my current phone so should be an improvement there as well. I have seen from other posts it is best to get it some protection,

Dont get me wrong the 7 is still an excellent bit of kit, but for me its for media consumption at home, for everything else i prefer the phone.

Your usage/preferences may be different

Absolutely!

Had various droids now and the 4 is by far the best i've owned to date, and free of the OEM bloat/tweakery the likes of Samsung and HTC add, the N4 with vanilla JB is slick...

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Using Nexus 4 to type this and never had a phone so powerful and easy to use.

Love the nexus 7 but this phone is amazing. Particularly the slide text input.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Using Nexus 4 to type this and never had a phone so powerful and easy to use.

Love the nexus 7 but this phone is amazing. Particularly the slide text input.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
daveh75 said:
free of the OEM bloat/tweakery the likes of Samsung and HTC add

I like HTC Sense though. In a bit of a quandary about my next phone, due for an upgrade next week, I'd like to stick with HTC but I either want 64Gb or 32Gb with SD card slot (I've got a 32Gb micro-SD in my DesireHD at the moment that has a lot of music on it), ideally LTE (I can't use it yet but on a 24 month contract it doesn't seem to make sense not to), large screen and decent processor.

Trouble is I'm on o2 and the only network offering a phone that covers that lot is EE and I don't know if I can be arsed to switch, I don't want to change my number again (I know you can transfer it but...). Then there's the fact that HTC are likely to announce their new phone fairly soon (Madrid show I think?) where we'll find out what the UK will be getting (as we don't seem to be getting the Butterfly series or Droid DNA that the US have). Guess I'll have to wait for a bit.

daveh75

The_Lhc said:
daveh75 said:

I like HTC Sense though.

So did I (up until Sense 4 on the One X), and would argue that Sense and the like were necessary on older versions of Android, but it's matured a lot now and with JB completely unnecessary.

I couldn't go back now...

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi

Saw a Nexus 4 in the flesh today at a shop and had a little play with it, I can only say that it does seem very slick as stated earlier in how it moves between things, it is a bit longer than I thought so I will need to get the bumper as will poke out of some pockets, I am a smidge worried about how robust these are.

I dropped my little htc down the stairs of a bus and it survived that but took a few days to return to full working order.

I believe I need a micro sim for this as well from reading an other post.I guess i have a normal sim in my htc, it is the same as I have had in my previous phones.

Is my typing is getting worse or does the site keep dropping letters ?

daveh75 said:
The_Lhc said:
daveh75 said:

I like HTC Sense though.

So did I (up until Sense 4 on the One X), and would argue that Sense and the like were necessary on older versions of Android, but it's matured a lot now and with JB completely unnecessary. I couldn't go back now...

Completely agree. I loved HTC Sense, but their phones of late have been problematic. My HTC Sensation gave me a lot of grief. Playing with Nexus 4, I really think it's better than HTC Sense. Besides, I would personally buy the phone @ £280 outright & go for a SIM only deal like Giff Gaff. Far cheaper than going for a 24-month contract.

SnowyJohn

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
word to the wise: a little birdie tells me the Nexus 5 is just around the corner and that LG have infact stopped manufacuring the Nexus 4.

The little birdie is my incredibly pro-google colleague. He may be wrong, however.

SnowyJohn said:
word to the wise: a little birdie tells me the Nexus 5 is just around the corner and that LG have infact stopped manufacuring the Nexus 4.

The little birdie is my incredibly pro-google colleague. He may be wrong, however.

I've been hearing about it since a month. These rumours stem from here:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/422990/20130111/lg-nexus-4-buy-price-supply-successor.htm

Personally, I don't think it's possible (at least not so soon), for 2 reasons:

1) Goggle won't release 2 models within 6 months of each other. And Google isn't making any profits by selling these.

2) The success of Android depends on manufacturers that support the platform. Google won't attempt to steal the limelight away from Samsung's Galaxy S4, HTC etc.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
BB - agreed.

You would normally only bring out a new model if you had saturated (or nearly saturated) your existing customer base and currently that is untrue as demand far exceeds supply.

Or if you were under threat from a superior competitor - again not really the case as the only close competiton costs far more and is arguably less competent currently.

I would wager that a 32Gb version is the next release and an update to Jelly Bean. Since the Nexus 4 has a near 5" screen the naming convention of a Nexus 5 would be tricky as well.

Just my two pence worth.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Re:HTC Sense. Conversely I think it's better since 4.0.

I have also tried vanilla as my Desire One X is rooted, and I agree it's good, but I always miss the rather fantastic clock and weather widget that HTC keep to themselves. And yes, I've tried the so called replacements and they are not in the same league. Now running Viper ROM.

As to the OP.

It's a tricky question. My next tablet and phone may very well be Windows, but if I was going Android, which I still might, I would get a bigger phone and an even bigger tablet.

I'm thinking of the fantastic sounding new Sony Z (which is apparently available at £450) with its 1080P full HD screen, 2GB RAM, 16GB storage and microSD.

Then I'd add to that the Google Nexus 10. :)

Windows...I'd be tempted with a lowly Nokia 820 and a Dell XPS or Lenovo Yoga!

fr0g said:
I'm thinking of the fantastic sounding new Sony Z (which is apparently available at £450) with its 1080P full HD screen, 2GB RAM, 16GB storage and microSD.

And waterproof! :p

xperia-z-durability-water-resistance-1240x824-87a352114f26128dffe9e44b5a6d4cd8-620x412.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts