Next upgrade advice - new phono stage or new amplifier?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone, new here and seeking advice on an upgrade path

I am wondering what would be the logical next upgrade for me. I currently have a Clearaudio Concept TT, a Marantz PM6003 amp and Mordaunt-Short Mezzo 2 speakers. I listen mostly to classical vinyl (symphonies usually - many picked up second hand) and some jazz. I am very happy with my TT and with the speakers but I am wondering about amplification. I currently use the phono stage of the Marantz but am wondering if a dedicated external phono stage such as the Clearaudio Basic+ would make a significant improvement as a first upgrade or if I need to be thinking about upgrading the amplifier first.

My budget is fairly flexible and I have a medium size room where I listen. I know I will need to do some auditioning but it would be helpful if I could map out a roadmap for trying a few things in a systematic way. Reading the forum here is very helpful and looking over old posts gives some good ideas but for a newbie it is still a challenge to tackled upgrades step by step and not get lost in the complexity of it all!

Thank you!

Paul

The best advice is to audition a few different amps and decipher which one(s) are best suited to your speakers and TT.

Makes that have fantastic in-built phono stages are Rotel and Arcam. If you're willing to up the budget slightly then the Leema Pulse's phone stage, which has switchable MM and MC, is no shrinking violet.

If you look at amps without, such as Creek, Cyrus, Primare, Naim and possibly Nad. They all have their sonic virtues - I would strongly advise a dem (home dem if possible).

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice,

I see that there is the first version of the Leema Pulse still available as well as the new III version. The price looks really good for the first version. Were there many significant changes between the versions?

Paul

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice,

I see that there is the first version of the Leema Pulse still available as well as the new III version. The price looks really good for the first version. Were there many significant changes between the versions?

Paul

MikeToll

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Write up on the Pulse III here:

http://www.whathifi.com/review/pulse-iii

Whathifi also have the write up on the Pulse II as well:

http://www.whathifi.com/review/leema-pulse

I have the Pulse II driving Spendor A6's and must say I am very happy with the result. If you do not need the on board DAC and optical imput of the Pulse III then I would save yourself a packet and buy the Pulse II while you still can at the reduced price - superb bargain.

MikeToll

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Write up on the Pulse III here:

http://www.whathifi.com/review/pulse-iii

Whathifi also have the write up on the Pulse II as well:

http://www.whathifi.com/review/leema-pulse

I have the Pulse II driving Spendor A6's and must say I am very happy with the result. If you do not need the on board DAC and optical imput of the Pulse III then I would save yourself a packet and buy the Pulse II while you still can at the reduced price - superb bargain.

A

Anonymous

I've always worked on the principle that, when it comes to upgrading, you need to start at the front end and work backwards! At least, that was the original wisdom of the experts. I suppose you need to ask yourself this: "Am I happy with the amplifier over a variety of inputs other than vinyl"? If the answer is "Yes", then a separate phono stage would make quite a difference as they tend to be superior to those found in integrated amplifiers anyway. There are a number of good ones on the market that offer excellent value (What HiFi has some of them listed) and sound superb. Even if you did decide to upgrade the amplifier in the future, you can keep the phono stage whatever you choose to do.

At least you can start at that level and work out what you think is best from there. Hope that helps.

Dave

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone, that is really helpful and has got things a bit clearer in my head!

Paul

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts