Next step after Arcam A65 and B&W DM602S2

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I use the Arcam/B&W for music and a Sony STR-DG820 receiver and Wharfedale SFX for surround sound.

I fancy an upgrade primarily for listening to music and the family would like the set-up simplified. What should my next upgrade be?

John Duncan

Budget will be key here I think, along with your family's definition of 'simplified'!
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks. If the budget was £400-500 would I get a noticeable audible difference. Alternatively, if I sold the Sony and spent a bit more to get an all in one receiver could I get an increase in quality and get down to one remote and one way of listening to things?

AndyMB:
I use the Arcam/B&W for music and a Sony STR-DG820 receiver and Wharfedale SFX for surround sound.

I fancy an upgrade primarily for listening to music and the family would like the set-up simplified. What should my next upgrade be?

Hi AndyMB

In the first instance i'll highly recommend changing your A65 amplifier. If you are happy to consider used equipment then look out for Rotel's RA-1062, NAD C370 or the mighty Marantz PM64. Either one of these three amplifiers will give you a massive jump in peformance and will happily bounce your speakers around the room.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

AndyMB:

The A65+ is hard to significatly better for the budget.

Suggestion: Bi-amp P80 and spend the rest on better B&W speakers or MA silver range.

Or if you really want it simple Solo mini. The overall SQ, however, won't quite match the A65.

matthewpiano:Rick, you really do seem to have an issue with Arcam stuff. What is your objection to it?

Hi matthewpiano

I have no objection. They've produced some good products over the years such as Alpha 5 Plus cdp, Alpha 7SE, Xeta one AV amp, Delta 270, Alpha 10, Delta 290, Black Box 5, Delta 270 (some of these which i've also happily sold over the years). In fact you may also be interested to know i owned and was using their truly excellent Alpha 9 cdp last year.

I don't believe in novelty only in credit where it is due (regardless of badge).

Btw, have you experience of the A65, RA-1062, C370 and PM64 with 602's?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

plastic penguin:
matthewpiano:Rick, you really do seem to have an issue with Arcam stuff. What is your objection to it?

Let'em eat cake, Matthew.

Hi plastic penguin

I've been to Arcam HQ on a couple of occasions and the food (which included cakes) was very nice indeed
emotion-1.gif
If i'd known you're into cakes i would have saved you some
emotion-4.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

MUSICRAFT:plastic penguin:

Let'em eat cake, Matthew.

Hi plastic penguin

I've been to Arcam HQ on a couple of occasions and the food (which included cakes) was very nice indeed
emotion-1.gif
If i'd known you're into cakes i would have saved you some
emotion-4.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Ooo, that's some admission - if anyone in Derby sees a person walking around with a paper bag over their head we'll know who it is...
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

I do have to agree that the Arcam DiVA A65 or 65+ amps werent the best they produced but they still give a good sound

I think the likes of a 2nd hand NAD C352 or (if you can find one at the right price) NAD C355BEE integrated amp would be a very good step up; as would an Arcam Alpha 10 integrated (all can be found via eBay and the likes etc...)

As for the speakers; keep them
emotion-5.gif

They're a superb sounding speaker (I've still got a set in light oak in my loft); the do however need good, solid, sturdy stands under them so for me, an upgrade to the likes of the Atacama HMS1's or the Partington Super Dreadnoughts (mass loaded with atabites or sand) would be a good improvement as well.

What would be handy to know is what music do you generally listen to and also what speaker cable & interconnects are you using currently?

hifilover1979:

I do have to agree that the Arcam DiVA A65 or 65+ amps werent the best they produced but they still give a good sound

I think the likes of a 2nd hand NAD C352 or (if you can find one at the right price) NAD C355BEE integrated amp would be a very good step up; as would an Arcam Alpha 10 integrated (all can be found via eBay and the likes etc...)

As for the speakers; keep them
emotion-5.gif

They're a superb sounding speaker (I've still got a set in light oak in my loft); the do however need good, solid, sturdy stands under them so for me, an upgrade to the likes of the Atacama HMS1's or the Partington Super Dreadnoughts (mass loaded with atabites or sand) would be a good improvement as well.

What would be handy to know is what music do you generally listen to and also what speaker cable & interconnects are you using currently?

When I auditioned my old A65+ back in the dark age
emotion-4.gif
, I compared it to the Nad 352 and Rotel RA-02. All three were very good, and sure, the Nad and Rotel offer a little better defined bass and, of course, offered more output, but the overall sonic balance of the Arcam, allied to the smooth mid-band and detailed treble swayed my decision. It took a long time waying up all the pros and cons of each of those amps I tested. It was very close.

This is why I suggested bi-amping it with a P80 - it'll up the wattage to 65 per channel, gives a tighter, detailed bass; improve the dynamics. The biggest problem with the A65 is it's low output rating: Fine at low levels, but found slightly wanting if you have the need to crank it up.

For me, sound-per-pound, the A65+ is pne of the best amps they've produced

A

Anonymous

Big Chris:Surely if they're gain matched, the P80 will never ouput more than the A65's 40wpc?

Yup!

A

Anonymous

It is an A65+ and is mainly used for rock, pop and dance CDs from 60s onwards. Fed by an Arcam CD72.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
AndyMB:It is an A65+ and is mainly used for rock, pop and dance CDs from 60s onwards. Fed by an Arcam CD72.

I used an A65+ and CD72T for about 7 years (and still have them boxed in my loft). The upgrade to a CD192 was more impressive than when I upgraded the amp to an A85...... Until I added a P85 that is.
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Definityly keep the CD72; cracking player

That with your speakers and a better amp by Arcam, Rotel or NAD and I think you'll be on to a winner
emotion-5.gif

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
hifilover1979:

Definityly keep the CD72; cracking player

That with your speakers and a better amp by Arcam, Rotel or NAD and I think you'll be on to a winner
emotion-5.gif

I dunno. The 72's a great player, but if you can track down a CD192, it'll give your sound an instant hit of adrenaline. I know. I've done it.
emotion-21.gif

matthewpiano

MUSICRAFT:

Hi matthewpiano

I have no objection. They've produced some good products over the years such as Alpha 5 Plus cdp, Alpha 7SE, Xeta one AV amp, Delta 270, Alpha 10, Delta 290, Black Box 5, Delta 270 (some of these which i've also happily sold over the years). In fact you may also be interested to know i owned and was using their truly excellent Alpha 9 cdp last year.

I don't believe in novelty only in credit where it is due (regardless of badge).

Btw, have you experience of the A65, RA-1062, C370 and PM64 with 602's?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

I used to own an A65+ and heard it with 602s a couple of times because I have a friend who still has them now. I have to confess I don't think it is the best combination - in fact I don't like Arcam amps with B&W speakers in general which is why I eventually gave up on running my A18 with 686s. Switching to the Lektor 2s made a massive difference and showed how superb the A18 actually is.

I'm not really questioning your advice about what to pair the 602s with, I just frequently get a feeling that you aren't particularly an Arcam fan, and I wondered why. For my money the amp isn't the weak link here - the speakers are, but we're all entitled to our opinion and in the same way that a different amp will get the best out of the B&Ws, I happen to know that different speakers will get the best out of the Arcam amp. There are two ways of skinning the cat!!

To the OP, if you wish to investigate better speakers I would suggest starting with Focal, Dali and MA - each will give you a different sound but all three work very well with Arcam. Do also try to hear the amps Rick has suggested with your B&Ws. That is the only way you can choose.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts