Newbie with some DVD player/processor questions

trent900

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys

Newbie here wondering if anyone can provide some advice/recommendations. I’m still learning the new terminologies so go easy on me!

The system I have is 13 years old and although I’ve been very happy with it, due to a move and now the use of an LG 55” LED TV I find the set-up is no longer compatible. So, what to do?

Here’s my system spec:

Naim Nait5 amp powering a pair of KEF Q55.2
Marantz DV4100 DVD player
Yamaha DSP-E800 powering a B&W LCR600 S3 centre and KEF Q85’s for the rear

Of course with the DSP-E800 I was using S-video which is not supported by the LG. So I guess now is the time to upgrade to bluray and a new AV processor but which items will work with the others.

I was thinking of replacing the Marantz with a Sony BDP-S790 and the DSP-E800 with an RX-V673…what do you think? I’m wondering if the RX-V673 has RCA out to control the Nait5 via its AV input connection? I’d like to keep it as I use it with a CD5 for audio.

What would you do? Would the Sony and RX-V673 be good replacements?

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Martin

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
trent900 said:
I’m wondering if the RX-V673 has RCA out to control the Nait5 via its AV input connection?

Not according to the images I've found on the net, no, you require a full set of 7.1 (or 5.1 at a push) pre-outs in order to run your front L&R channels to a stereo amp. You'd typically need to go up the AV amp range (and budget, naturally) to get an AV amp with those pre-outs.

I notice your centre speaker is a different make to your Fronts. It would be advisable to try to get the matching KEF Centre speaker to go with the Q55.2s if possible.

trent900

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply and info.

Any particular amp you would recommend? Pioneer LX56 perhaps?

I was using a KEF speaker for the centre (can't remember the model now) but it failed and was recommended the B&W as a replacement.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
trent900 said:
Thanks for the quick reply and info.

Any particular amp you would recommend? Pioneer LX56 perhaps?

Depends largely on how much money you want to spend, however I understand those earlier KEFs could be pushed into harshness at the top end and the Pioneer amps are typically quite bright, so you may want to stick with Yamaha (which are said to be a little warmer), I don't know their range but one with the full set of pre-outs would seem sensible.

I was using a KEF speaker for the centre (can't remember the model now) but it failed and was recommended the B&W as a replacement.

I would hope that wasn't a member of the trade that suggested that, it's the most basic rule for surround speakers, no competent (or honest) salesman would have suggested that.

trent900

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks again for your reply.

I think I'm going to plump for a Yamaha RX-V775 which has the pre-outs. For the DVD player I'm now thinking Panasonic DMP-BDT500.

On the centre speaker, yes, it was a hi fi shop which gave me that advice.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
trent900 said:
Thanks again for your reply.

I think I'm going to plump for a Yamaha RX-V775 which has the pre-outs.

Yes, that would cover the requirement.

On the centre speaker, yes, it was a hi fi shop which gave me that advice.

Oh dear. Let me guess, they just happened to have one you could buy? I think you should name and shame them!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts