Newbie advice please

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have just ordered the 50" Samsung Plasma as recommended by your goodselves. I was also going to buy the Phillips all in one speaker dvd system you recommend. I have auditioned the TV but been unable to do the same with the speaker system (where have all the HiFi shops gone?)

I was wondering with a budget of £600 up to £800 if needs be what Amp/Speaker/Upscaling DVD player might work well together and will the sound/picture be noticiably better than the phillips?

Trailing wires and leads will not trouble me as the whole system will be installed in our new extension so cable can be run through cavities. Wall hanging speakers would be preferable and amp/dvd player preferably with HDMI inputs. Also looking for the units and speakers to be black to match the TV - sad I know!! I am not adverse to "lifestyle" speakers to keep my good lady happy..

Please help TV and building work just days away.

PS also have Sky HD coming if that makes a difference

Grant

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I'd go for Toshiba SD-370 (about £60), or a Denon DVD1730 if you can still find one for the £80 at which we've seen them advertised, Onkyo TX-SR505 (£250) and a set of KEF KHT1005 speakers (about £300) or Tannoy EFX 5.1 package (about £250).

Advantages over the Philips? Real surround, much better bass, and simply more of everything.

As an alternative, try Sony's new DAV-IS10 system, seen here. Review coming soon in the magazine (new issue, isn't it, Clare? The one that's out next Thursday? That'd be August 23rd then...) but IMHO it's fab!

And speakers smaller than golfballs? Much more 'lifestyle' you could not get...

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that Andrew. Would the speakers be better mounted in the corners of the room with the centre below the screen or the two fronts either side of the screen at "ear height"? Also can you advise on cables and interconnects?

Sony system looks really cool, will be interested to read the review...

Grant

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Some way out from the screen - say a couple of feet each side - and at ear height would be good. The more I think about it, the better the Sony system would seem for your needs - and yes, it comes with all the cables included.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew

I have found a proper HiFi shop in Weymouth which has both the Tannoys and KEF's on Demo - hurrah. I will audition them both. I think I will hardwire some reasonable speaker cable in the walls before they are boarded over to at least give me the option of seperates or an all in one system.

As the Onkyo Amp copes with 7.1 is it possible to upgrade the Tannoys/Kef's by buying an extra speaker to make the system up to 6.1 or is this not worth the efforton a system this cheap?

Any comments on my "newbie" dilema's, from any contributor, would be gratefully received

Grant

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes you can upgrade those packages to 6.1 or 7.1 easily. But bear in mind if you're going the Sony route that the cables use dedicated plugs at the head unit end.

A

Anonymous

I think i may go down the route of seperates and like the look of the Onkyo Amp (SR 505) and the Tannoy EFX's you suggest. I would like, if possible, to pair it with an Onkyo DVD player , but can find no recent reviews of their DVD players. Any suggestions?. Also if I go the 6.1 route where is the best place for the additional speaker and should it be another tannoy centre speaker or satelite?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts