new yamaha ysp 2200 soundbar

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi! Can't find any reviews of this yet, anybody spotted any reviews / heard how the 2200 sounds?? Or WHF, any news when you might do a review?

Held off buying 4100 because of size, just wanted to check smaller size of 2200 didn't involve compromising sound quality!

Finally, just wondering (new to all this!)... could anyone advise on whether routing a bluray player e.g. Sony S570 through a soundbar like 2200 results in any lower video quality than getting a seperate decent amp & speakers? Guessing components in soundbar of lower quality, but not sure if that impacts video. Um, like said, new to world of AV..! :)

Cheers!

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi Wolfmonk,

I too am waiting on the release of this product. My situation is more the inability to site rear speakers where i need to due to room shape rather than just cosmetic appeal. The 'My Surround' option providing it'll throw effects towards the sides will do just fine. Will be selling my current set up over the next few weeks, its mint too but just cannot get rear positioning right ( they sit sort of side-ish!)

In theory as the YSP-2200 includes a subwoofer as part of its compact appeal the sound could be more complete than just the -4100 as many use a seperate sub with this model.I wouldn't worry too much about sound quality Yamaha have been using this tech for years and include many sound modes to suit the listener. Seperates are great but it really does depend on you're spend. Would consider you're room size though.

I shouldn't worry about 'pass through' either. Again Yamaha have been doing this with no concern for years. Same for quality of their components.

I too was saving for the -4100 but once i had looked at a stand to support it i was looking at £1,400 minimum so at double the price and size i am just waiting for the -2200 to get a release date. I was 'over the moon' to see this as providing it does a good job and the Yamaha sound quality is there il be very happy.

Really hope i can store more than 1 user setting though so i can bring bar from corner to centre when i use my PJ screen.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, appreciate the reply! Useful stuff.

Don't care about the money side, just want hi def audio decoding, no rears (similar room contraints to you!) so just top quality 2.1 -and here's the catch- small as poss speakers! The big floor standers don't do it for me. Hence reckoning the soundbar was the way to go. (Not even really considering 2200 for surround sound as priority! mainly on size, hi def, and sound quality :)).

Out of interest though, did you come across any other options that meet this kind of criteria?? Maybe there's something I'm overlooking!

Cheers!

PS thanks for 'pass through' info, reassuring! plus now learnt a new phrase ;)

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi Wolfmonk,

Definetly worth a look at Yamaha YHT-S400. Theres a review under 'reviews' section on this website plus a rather long and thorough review on www.trustedreviews.com , at £400 it looks great. See most Blu-Ray players can decode the HD audio onboard and send to many amps as PCM sound (already decoded for sending out via the amplifier). The S400 works in this way. Speaker bar itself is much smaller at 80cm by 5 cm.

Space wise it may be worth looking at 2.1's from Samsung, Sony and Panasonic. Denon has a 2 speaker system coming out at £900. Lots of reviews on here to plough through.

Good Luck,

Cookie Monster.

A

Anonymous

Hi all,

Just read the review of the YSP 2200 in Febs What Hifi. Very interested. A bit confused though about a comment about set up, as follows...

'All you'll need is two HDMI cables - as long as you have a modern TV with the Audio Return Channel, anyway. Dont have an ARC-enabled TV? Use the Yamaha's optical or coaxial digital inputs instead'.

I have a Samsung LE46M87BD which Ive had a few years so suspect not ARC enabled? Admittedly a bit confused by ARC anyway but say my TV is not ARC, do I have to wire a source via HDMI to TV, then source via HDMI to TV then digital (optical or Coaxial) on tosoundbar for sound?

My concern is I wont be able to get HD sound via YSP unless I presumably HMDI source to TV then on via another HDMI to YSP (my interp of first sentence above of an ARC enabled set up).

Can anyone set me straight??

Many thanks in advance...

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi nowen,

Just clearing a few things out on ebay before i place my order for one of these. Haven't seen the review yet, is it positive?

What WHF is probably refering to is the fact that 'you can use audio return channel (ARC) if you're kit supports'. I don't have an ARC compatible tv set so i would connect like this.

1 x HDMI from Blu - Ray to Soundbar ( delivering HD audio and Pic)

1 x HDMI from soundbar to TV ( soundbar outputs audio, pic is passed on to tv)

Then if you wish..

1 x Optical or Coaxial digital cable from you're tv to soundbar if you require tv sound through your new soundbar. My Philips for example uses a Coaxial output.

Hope this helps,

Best Wishes,

Cookie Monster

clle

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Thats how I have mine set up - I love mine - although I am still tweeking the settings. The surround effects are not as good as a normal 5.1 system (but I was not expecting it to, plus I have not got the perfect room with tv in the corner), but the clarity and detail is excellent. It also looks fanastic and is very well built (apart from remote).
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks Cookie Monster, understood.

Review is very positive and extensive, would encourage you to get your hands on a copy, concludes with 5 stars; only negative is its no great shakes in stereo and not wanting to drive up prices...under a 5 day review it ends on day 5 with...

"One of the review team has decided to buy a YSP2200: a few others - plus several people we've dragged into the listening room - are seriously considering it. Thats high praise indeed for a clearly more-than-pocket-money product."

Time for some Googling....

Thanks again.

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for the replies all. Awaiting my subription copy of the magazine with ernest. From my initial inquiries this piece of kit is difficult to come by, just tried to call a couple of sellers but unfortunatly not open today. Hopefully i can pay to join a queue somewhere and wait for Yamaha to send out supplies. Unlikely they would send kit for review without expectaions of an associated sales uplift. Spoke to Richer Sounds too and they cannot see it on their system yet which is a shame as they are 'local-ish'.

WHF - don't suppose Yamaha mentioned anything concerning supply of this product?

Really, really looking forward to getting this sounbar now.

Take care all,

Cookie Monster

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts