New wireless router

DJEPSON

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
I have had my Netgear wireless router now for about 5 years and am looking to upgrade. The computers in the house are a Toshiba Netbook, an Apple Mac and an oldish Acer. I have been on the Netgear website and seen the WNDR3700, does anyone have any opinions on this or alternatives. Ultimately I am aiming to get a NAS drive added to my system and maybe a Sonos player, so need a router that will work with all that.

Thanks

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Never had any problems with Netgear units: currently running a DGN2000 for the wi-fi, off one port of which hangs an FS608 wired switch, into which are plugged the NAS drives, the Blu-ray players, the NaimUniti...

scene

The Router sounds fine - I too have had a Netgear router for years with no problems.

As this is a Dual-Band, multi-aerial router, you can run separate Wireless N and G networks, which will allow Wireless N devices to run at full speed rather than failing back to 54Mbps G speed. If you do this, it's worth setting the two networks with different names - e.g. Network-G and Network-N - as some type N cards find the slower G network first if both have the same name...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
The only time you need to worry about Sonos is if you intend to wire all of your zone players, then you need to ensure the router supports the spanning tree protocol, otherwise it shouldn't be an issue.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Yep, no problems here with Netgear routers. I've got a couple of modem routers and a couple of switches too. I've had a few issues with my Netgear gigabit network adaptor (on Vista) but seem to have sorted it now.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts