admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I currently have a 37 inch tv from Dell from late 2005. It is only 1080i and 50hz and I have now decided I need to change it.

The way I see it I have four options.

1. Wait six months and buy a 3d tv in an attempt to future proof myself.

2. Buy a good tv now for around £800-£1000

3. Buy a cheaper 37-40 inch tv now and replace it 18 months or so with a 3d tv or whatever the latest technologies are then.

4. Buy a cheap 32 inch tv and use the lg 32lh4010 I have in the bedroom as my main tv

Of those options which should I take?

My Dell tv can not easily be wall mounted in my bedroom so I cant swap my two tvs.

I use my main tv for the following in order

Live Sports in HD

xbox360/ps3

Mac Mini (avi files)

Blu Rays

SD tv

All inputs are fed through a Denon 1910 with a boston acoustics soundware xs speaker package so sound isnt a consideration.

A

Anonymous

id say buy a panasonic 50vt20 3d tv for £2000 , should be a stunning tv , or buy a cheap 37in just to tide you over till this time next year , then we will know if 3d is worthwhile , and there should be many more 3d blurays out there (theres currently one
emotion-7.gif
)..

whats the point of buying a good , £1000 tv now , before 3d has got up and running properly ? if its a success you will probably want to upgrade , it would be a waste of money , the panny will likely be one of this years top tvs for 2d and 3d , you shouldnt need to upgrade that for a while ..

A

Anonymous

I think given the space it will be going in the biggest size I could stretch to would be a 42 inch but I will certainly look at the Pannasonic

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I could be wrong but i don't think panasonic are making a 42" 3D tv this year, if they are it will probably later this year rather than sooner, AFAIK their are no 3D tv's out yet you will have to keep your eye's open as they will be released in a few months time.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
If I was happy with current tv and donte have then intention of a bigger screen I would keep it .If a bigger screen is wanted,then I would wait a bit untill all new models arrive at the market and then choose.

A

Anonymous

i think the 42in 3d panny may be released in late summer , but its not certain , probably around £1600ish , maybe a bit long to wait ....

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I don't think you'd be going too far wrong if you buy a reasonably priced 42" 2D tv for the time being. £600-700 will get you a very good Philips (7404) or Panasonic (G10), for example. Even if 3D does take off, and there's a reasonable chance it will just be a fad, it's going to be a long time before there's a reasonable library of available material. If you think that you'd be spending something in the order of 2K to buy a 3D tv this year, compared with less than half that price for a v. good 2D tv, I'd put the change out of 2K in the bank. Then in a few years time, if 3D does take off, that other £1,400 will probably get you a better 3D tv than the first generation models being rolled out this year anyway. That's just my opinion, though!
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

I have further managed to muddy the waters for myself today by going along to the local and watching the Utd v Chelsea game in 3d. I was initially very impressed but as the game went on I lost my enthusiasm for a couple of reasons. 1. 3d adds nothing for the normal view from half line in middle tier (normal tv view) 2. You get less normal camera angles and more strange angles in a game in order to get the 3d effect. As a result I would likely only watch the hd feed

That said I was very impressed by the clips they showed in the add breaks particularly the golf which I thought made great use of 3d technologies. As a result I am none the wiser about what I should do now

A

Anonymous

I'm pretty much in the same situation as you. I've already decided I'm waiting to see what the 2010 models are like, I've read alot of stuff about 3D already - pro's and con's and opinion seems divided, however for me I'm intrigued by it. Once the top end models are released (Panasonic 50"VT20 - Next Month / Sony 46" HX903 - June), and we have early indications from the mag team on how they perform, this will form the basis of my decision. Critically 2D is most important at the moment due to content, however if the TV is 3D enabled or 3D ready, then so be it. Until then I wait and read!

A

Anonymous

I had the same question v recently about waiting for 3D. Apologies if there's other threads on this, but the only thing I've seen in 3D was Up at the cinema. A very good film but slightly ruined (rather than enhanced) for me by 3D. It just added nothing and gave me a bit of a headache to be honest. I've resigned myself to being behind the curve but happy with my purchase. It may be that 3D comes into its own properly in a couple of years time. I may think again then.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts