New Turntable

stumpy01

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I am thinking of replacing my ancient Logic Tempo/Ortofon MC10 Super combination with something more up to date-Rega RP3 with Elys 2 or similar. I have not auditioned any viny equipment for a very long time so am wondering if I will see an improvement on my current turntable if i went down this route.

The rest of my system is Squeezebox Touch streaming FLAC from a Readynas Duo V2, ancient Audiolab 8000A, Audiolab M.Dac, B&W P4 speakers with REL Strata sub.

Thanks

Bigsounds

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
The old Audiolab had a decent phono stage included, the Rega turntable would be a nice match even though I'm not keen on rega carts, I would look at the Goldring 2100 as a possible replcement, this cartridge sounds very nice for it's modest price.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
my advice would be this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rega-RP3-in-White-B-Grade-slight-minor-imperfections-save-126-00-/290943038176?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables&hash=item43bd8e72e0

That would be a very nice TT, then as time & funds allow look into some tweaking (TT PSU, GT SubPlatter, Inspire etc etc)

The TT PSU at a later date is the first upgrade I would do!

stumpy01

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your replies, I may actually just try a new cartridge as per your suggestions-I can always fit it to a new turntable as the Elys2 seems not to impress a lot of people. The Logic in it's day came off well in a head to head with the Planar 3 so was well respected . The only real problem is the cartridge picks up hum from the electronic speed control circuit. It has the original datum arm and is all in perfect nick really.

Where are the best places to source cartridges from these days?. I don't think it's worth having the MC10 Super refurbished if indeed it's possible.

iMark

Over the years Denon has produced quite a few amps and receivers with a phono stage. We have a Denon DRA-1000 receiver which I bought in 2000 and it sounds very good with the turntable.

Sometimes I'm very happy that I don't suffer from upgraditis. I do suffer from expenditis. It's great to use existing equipment with new stuff. I never would have thought of streaming music from a computer to my Denon receiver when I bought it back in 2000. ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts