*New system setup 7.1*

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey all, I have just purchased a new A/V Receiver (Sony STRDA1200), floorstanding fronts (Q Acoustics 1030) and centre (Q Acoustics 1000C). I have an exsisting system and want to make a new 7.1 using the exsisting components till I can afford the matching sub and rears. My current setup up is W215 surround sony speakers with matching 100w sub and an older sony receiver 780 I think. Can I setup this all to make a good 7.1 system? My lounge is 20ft by 22ft and I also have a pair of old but very good 80's goodmans stereo floorstanders. Could I use them as the rears? This would greatly increase the quality of the rear sound. Any help or advise would be most helpful :)

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="The_Louse"]Hey all,

I have just purchased a new A/V Receiver (Sony STRDA1200), floorstanding fronts (Q Acoustics 1030) and centre (Q Acoustics 1000C). I have an exsisting system and want to make a new 7.1 using the exsisting components till I can afford the matching sub and rears.

My current setup up is W215 surround sony speakers with matching 100w sub and an older sony receiver 780 I think. Can I setup this all to make a good 7.1 system? My lounge is 20ft by 22ft and I also have a pair of old but very good 80's goodmans stereo floorstanders. Could I use them as the rears? This would greatly increase the quality of the rear sound.

Any help or advise would be most helpful

:)[/quote] You can use those speakers no problem. The auto calibration on the Sony receiver is excellent so just connect all your speakers (I'm assuming you will use the Sony speakers as the side/surround and your Goodmans as surround back speakers? With your large room, the sound should fill it nicely.

A

Anonymous

Yeah Gerrad that would be the plan. Will it autodetect that that rears are large and not small. Yeah the lil sony's will be the sides. Oh i found out where the speakers and sub came from HTK215 package. Don't know if they're any good but they seem quite powerful through the 780.

Oh yeah gerrad I forgot to ask should I setup to Dolby or THX. I.e rears directly behind and together or same placing as fronts?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="The_Louse"]Yeah Gerrad that would be the plan. Will it autodetect that that rears are large and not small. Yeah the lil sony's will be the sides. Oh i found out where the speakers and sub came from HTK215 package. Don't know if they're any good but they seem quite powerful through the 780.

Oh yeah gerrad I forgot to ask should I setup to Dolby or THX. I.e rears directly behind and together or same placing as fronts?[/quote] Yes the receiver should detect the size of the speakers and adjust everything accordingly. There is a setting on the receiver which is something like "Flat", "Front priority" and the other is a studio setting I think. I have mine set to the second choice, "Front priority" and this should set your speakers up to work with the fronts (your better speakers) more. I would have the Sony speakers if possible, facing each other on each side of the room and your rear speakers, either side of your sofa or seating area. As for your sub, it will do for now but it won't really bring much to the table. I would look on Ebay for a second hand one. 50w of low frequency is not going to deliver much, if any more than your front speakers can offer.

A

Anonymous

Thanks again for all your help Gerrad. I'll do the setup tonight and let you know

A

Anonymous

One last thing gerrad, couldn't get my new equipment last night so i'm doing it tonight. I also have a SONY TA-F170 STEREO AMPLIFIER upstairs would you reccomend connecting this to the STRDA1200 for the fronts?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="The_Louse"]One last thing gerrad, couldn't get my new equipment last night so i'm doing it tonight. I also have a SONY TA-F170 STEREO AMPLIFIER upstairs would you reccomend connecting this to the STRDA1200 for the fronts?[/quote] I don't know how good that amp is but it's worth trying it out to see if you get an improvement. Although the 1200 is particularly good musically, it would not sound as good as today's budget stereo amps but as I said, I don't know how good your one is/

A

Anonymous

www.hifiengine.com/manuals/sony/ta-f170.shtml
Only 50w per so maybe not??

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="The_Louse"]What do you think having looked at the manual?[/quote] I couldn't possibly tell from reading the manual but the 50w per channel should be ample to drive your speakers. I really am no expert - I hope I haven't come across as such. I would just try it out and you will soon notice if there is a major difference. Or you can just set up with your new receiver and if you are happy with the sound, then why over complicate things? I think using preouts and your stereo amp is really worth it if your stereo amp is a lot better than your receiver (like my set up).

A

Anonymous

Yeah Fair one mate that's kinda what I thought probably leave it and invest in a new sony amp l8r. I'll message you tomorrow and let you know how it went. Your been very helpful

A

Anonymous

Hey Gerrad, All setup now. Took ages to do. Sounds fantastic though. Rock band shook my house!! Again thanks for your help. I did have one question. The 1030 fronts (Floorstanding) Are biwireable. Can I use this to wire to the B speaker input in the receiver?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="The_Louse"]Hey Gerrad, All setup now. Took ages to do. Sounds fantastic though. Rock band shook my house!! Again thanks for your help. I did have one question. The 1030 fronts (Floorstanding) Are biwireable. Can I use this to wire to the B speaker input in the receiver?[/quote] Glad you are pleased! Yes, you can bi-wire them in that way.

A

Anonymous

Gerrad, Will that make a difference? There are plates on the back so the one channel is linked to both on the back of the speaker. How much differnence will it make to the sound?

A

Anonymous

Gerrad, I'll look into the biwire thing. My next step is to re cable and get my sub....(Ha Ha you were right I can't stop now!)
Is the Q acoustics Si Sub worth the extra £80 compared to the standard S (Both on Superfi). Cabling wise as you have the same amp what level should I go for. I heard that unless your amp and speakers are in the £2000 plus bracket then there no point in spending lots of money on the cables. I will need 2 optical cables, a sub lead and all new speaker cable (Prob up to 30m). Also is bare wire vs banana plugs worth all the extra? Which brands should I stear towards and which avoid??

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="The_Louse"]Gerrad, I'll look into the biwire thing. My next step is to re cable and get my sub....(Ha Ha you were right I can't stop now!)
Is the Q acoustics Si Sub worth the extra £80 compared to the standard S (Both on Superfi). Cabling wise as you have the same amp what level should I go for. I heard that unless your amp and speakers are in the £2000 plus bracket then there no point in spending lots of money on the cables. I will need 2 optical cables, a sub lead and all new speaker cable (Prob up to 30m). Also is bare wire vs banana plugs worth all the extra? Which brands should I stear towards and which avoid??[/quote] I've posted something on your newer post but I would say that you don't need to spend loads on cables for your system. I have fairly cheap speaker cables running to my receiver - I have more expensive stuff for my stereo amp. Optical cables can be bought for cheap and same for sub cable. I would however get as good a sub as possible - I've recently swapped mine and the difference is amazing - albeit from £100 sub to £700 sub. For speaker cable, QED, Chord, Van Damme, all offer fairly budget ranges for you - QED micro at under £2 per metre is well worth it. As for banana plugs - it's up to you - no difference sound wise - just easier to play about with your kit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts