New system for the cricket

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

was just wondering if some of the fine folk from the motherland could advise of a new system to watch/listen to the cricket on?

I've just finished watching the best five tests ever & am thinking about doing it all over again!

Something to emphasise the many highs & lowly lows.

Perhaps something in white would be good, only looking for stereo but will consider a 5.0 system!!!

:p ;) :boohoo: :shhh: :cheer: :dance: :clap: :cheers: :rofl:

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
You think that many of us care? (Or even watch cricket.)

I don't recall seeing cricket scheduled on TV in recent years. The most I have seen of it is the odd glimpse of 'The Ashes' thread on this forum. I don't personally know anyone who talks about it either.

I know there must be some interest out there amongst my compatriots, but I think I share the general assumption that our country is #### at most sport anyway. (Recent freaky Olympic, Wimbledon and Tour De France results excepted.)

You'll find that far more TV time is taken up with pub and parlour games. (Darts were on TV for about 10 hours yesterday for instance and snooker coverage is even worse when some major tournament comes around.)

I only wish the football World Cup finals had TV coverage directly proportional to our national team's performance :) (We are #### at that too as I am sure you know.)

There is rugby, but it doesn't plague our screens too much so I will assume we are #### at that too unless anyone knows differently.

There is some other sport that involves middle aged, male, 'catalogue model' lookalikes, wearing thousands of dollar's worth of sponsored casual wear, batting a tiny little ball* around a park with different kinds of sticks. Lots of people (usually wearing waterproofs) follow them around the park and clap periodically. For some odd reason, I think the TV commentator's voices are amplified all over the park, because they always whisper when anyone is about to hit one of the balls. (Why don't they just feed the commentator's voice directly to the TV viewers? Then they could talk with normal voices and not disturb the players.)

I think Americans always win that but it's still shown a lot.

*Only the advent of HD TV made the tiny white ball visible.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
Hi all,

was just wondering if some of the fine folk from the motherland could advise of a new system to watch/listen to the cricket on?

I've just finished watching the best five tests ever & am thinking about doing it all over again!

Something to emphasise the many highs & lowly lows.

Perhaps something in white would be good, only looking for stereo but will consider a 5.0 system!!!

:p ;) :boohoo: :shhh: :cheer: :dance: :clap: :cheers: :rofl:

and I used to think you were a nice guy... you're banned!

smiley-smile.gif

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
You think that many of us care? (Or even watch cricket.)

I don't recall seeing cricket scheduled on TV in recent years. The most I have seen of it is the odd glimpse of 'The Ashes' thread on this forum. I don't personally know anyone who talks about it either.

We've just been talking about it in the office.

You'll find that far more TV time is taken up with pub and parlour games. (Darts were on TV for about 10 hours yesterday for instance and snooker coverage is even worse when some major tournament comes around.)

You mean even better? Although it's not as good as it was a few years ago before the BBC castrated the Reb Button. Anyway you don't need to worry now, most of the darts and snooker is now online so the Beeb don't bother showing it during the week.

I only wish the football World Cup finals had TV coverage directly proportional to our national team's performance :) (We are #### at that too as I am sure you know.)

It will be, all the matches are in the middle of the night.

There is some other sport that involves middle aged, male, 'catalogue model' lookalikes, wearing thousands of dollar's worth of sponsored casual wear, batting a tiny little ball* around a park with different kinds of sticks. Lots of people (usually wearing waterproofs) follow them around the park and clap periodically. For some odd reason, I think the TV commentator's voices are amplified all over the park, because they always whisper when anyone is about to hit one of the balls. (Why don't they just feed the commentator's voice directly to the TV viewers? Then they could talk with normal voices and not disturb the players.)

The commentary is not broadcast all over the park but they have on course commentators that follow each group around, so often they're only standing a few feet away.

I think Americans always win that but it's still shown a lot.

1) No, they don't and B) The BBC now only show 1.5 tournaments a year, that's 6 days a year (they only get half The Masters now, so The Open is the only tournament they show live in full now).

*Only the advent of HD TV made the tiny white ball visible.

That's not entirely true.

Must be pretty depressing to be so negative about something that gives billions of people pleasure, what's the point?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Must be pretty depressing to be so negative about something that gives billions of people pleasure, what's the point?

Wow! Do you have a monopoly on flippancy and sarcasm?

(And a suprisingly populist argument for you.)

If I don't like something that lots of others enjoy, then I must be depressed. Does that extend to being negative about Eastenders or The Sun or Jeremy Kyle or the views of organised religions or any number of other things that give pleasure to millions/billions?

(I hope I don't see you being negative about any popular activities that irk you. I'd have to conclude that you must be depressed.)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
The_Lhc said:

I enjoy sport, yes, I don't like idiots (which is why I don't watch Football and is in no way suggesting you're an idiot, just as I wasn't suggesting you were depressed), which is where most of my "controversial" posts come from.

If I don't like something that lots of others enjoy, then I must be depressed.

Didn't actually say that though, I said being so negative must be depressing, not quite the same thing.

Does that extend to being negative about Eastenders

Actually research has shown* that Eastenders itself is so negative that being negative about it achieves a positive outcome, so that's a good thing.

or The Sun or Jeremy Kyle or the views of organised religions or any number of other things that give pleasure to millions/billions?

Does religion give pleasure to people? Always seems to be the opposite to me. Either way, those things are all clearly harmful in many respects, I would argue that sport is anything but (Football aside), so the argument doesn't appear to hold.

(I hope I don't see you being negative about any popular activities that irk you. I'd have to conclude that you must be depressed.)

Let me know if you do see me doing that, I can't recall doing so recently.

*It hasn't really.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
chebby said:
The_Lhc said:

If I don't like something that lots of others enjoy, then I must be depressed. Does that extend to being negative about Eastenders or The Sun or Jeremy Kyle or the views of organised religions or any number of other things that give pleasure to millions/billions?

Chebby I think you have missed the point!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
I enjoy sport, yes, I don't like idiots (which is why I don't watch Football ...) ...

I always enjoyed orienteering, cross country running, cycle touring, swimming (non competitive), gliding, flying, shooting, hill-walking (mostly in the Derbyshire Peaks and Brecon Beacons) and any other opportunity to see the country and get off the bl###y estate I lived on as a kid and as a teenager.

Needless to say, the most popular sport in school was football and - of course - it was compulsory. (I'd have happily run laps around the pitch for the duration of the 'lessons' or cycled around the local countryside for an hour instead. But no, we all had to play football and I detested it.)

The most popular activity outside the school was also football. It narrowly pipped petty shoplifting, hanging around off-licenses, fighting and vandalism but was more violent and always involved the same crowd.

I was asked once, by a knuckle dragging sports teacher, 'what did I do at the weekend that could possibly be better than playing football'? I told him I'd spent both days at the Southampton University Air Squadron in Hamble (with the Air Cadets) learning to fly an RAF training aircraft (Bulldog) around the Isle of Wight. He was disgusted. He was equally disgusted on another occasion when I was asked by him what I'd done during the summer holidays. I'd spent 4 weeks standing in for the caretaker, cleaning a local community centre, to earn enough money to spend the last two weeks of the holiday cycle touring and Youth Hostelling around Wales, Somerset, Devon, Dorset and the New forest. His biggest problem was that I was always doing 'selfish' activities rather than joining in with team sports. (The teams that mostly comprised kids who spent the 6 week summer holidays trashing the estate and fighting each other.)

So I guess I always associated football (especially) with the same kids who hung around shops trying to get adults to buy booze and fags for them. (When they weren't burning stuff, or fighting each other, or chucking bricks onto trains from a local bridge or queuing up for their juvenile court appearances!)

From what I hear about our finest indigenous footballers I don't think much has changed there.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
The_Lhc said:
I enjoy sport, yes, I don't like idiots (which is why I don't watch Football ...) ...

I always enjoyed orienteering, cross country running, cycle touring, swimming (non competitive), gliding, flying, shooting, hill-walking (mostly in the Derbyshire Peaks and Brecon Beacons) and any other opportunity to see the country and get off the bl###y estate I lived on as a kid and as a teenager.

Needless to say, the most popular sport in school was football and - of course - it was compulsory. (I'd have happily run laps around the pitch for the duration of the 'lessons' or cycled around the local countryside for an hour instead. But no, we all had to play football and I detested it.)

Now you mention it, I can't actually remember playing football at school (as part of organized PE lessons that is, there was always a ball being kicked around at lunchtime), rugby yes (represented the school for a while, hated every minute of it, still do), cricket yes, hockey, sadly, athletics, tennis even but I don't remember ever having football "lessons". Odd, that had never occured to me before now. Oh, we did do cross-country running as well, which involved running across the local farmer's ploughed fields in football boots for what felt like hours in the middle of winter so you ended up with several pounds of best Essex clay hanging off your feet, until you got to the final tarmac road section where your studs gave you no grip at all, how nobody ended up with a broken ankle at the very least I really don't know. Honestly, I'd have rather been playing football...

Everything changed once we got to 6th form, when they told us we could do any sport we liked, so I spent the summers playing golf with my dad and the winters playing snooker!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Now you mention it, I can't actually remember playing football at school (as part of organized PE lessons that is, there was always a ball being kicked around at lunchtime), rugby yes (represented the school for a while, hated every minute of it, still do), cricket yes, hockey, sadly, athletics, tennis even...

All that would have involved a lot of kit and equipment that I doubt the school (or a lot of the parents) could afford. (And anything not guarded, locked up or nailed down would probably have been stolen.)

The_Lhc said:
Oh, we did do cross-country running as well, which involved running across the local farmer's ploughed fields in football boots for what felt like hours in the middle of winter so you ended up with several pounds of best Essex clay hanging off your feet, until you got to the final tarmac road section where your studs gave you no grip at all,

Sounds exactly like a good day to me :)

The_Lhc said:
Everything changed once we got to 6th form, when they told us we could do any sport we liked, so I spent the summers playing golf with my dad and the winters playing snooker!

At sixth-form college my 'sport' was cycling to it, and back, from my bedsit every day in all weathers. (About 8 miles each way.)

That was when I changed to hill-walking during holidays, because I was sick of cycling every day in term time!

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Jeez, all getting a bit serious.

How about we just stick to the sledging about the cricket & leave all the other stuff to the side?

Now back to the topic.

Did any one over there actually watch the recent test series? :p :rofl:

It sounded awesome through my hifi!!!

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Global sport when you're winning, minority sport when you're losing!

I would agree though, that a good system can make you feel like you're standing in a crowded pub watching the sweat drip of a fat man's chin as he's lining up his next shot!

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Neuphonix said:

How about we just stick to the sledging about the cricket & leave all the other stuff to the side?

Now back to the topic.

Yes, I watched lots of the whole sorry spectacle. Apart from the Perth test, (2.30am start here) I usually watched the first session until 2am and then got up at 6.30ish for the last hour or so. Dedicated to the debacle, you could say. Ghoulish and grizzly fascination with our demise.

My sister is an adopted Aussie living in Brisbane and she's loved it. Me not so!!

After this home summer series, what with Broad not walking when clearly out and then the utter stupidity and vainglory of urinating on the Oval wicket, I was almost pleased we'd been brought down a peg or two. Okay, not to the depths of 5-0, but the boisterous Aussies deserved every single victory.

Bar Stokes it's been a chastening and salutary experience for our team.

That said, I can't wait to see how we re-assemble and try to win them back in 2015. Just the small matter of Sri Lanka and India this summer as preparations take shape.

Oh, and we need some kind of Clarke/Lehmann combo in charge. I don't often agree with Sir Geoffrey Boycott but I think he's right about Alistair Cook not having the "personality" to be captain. I'd definitely keep him as an opening bat though.

Through gritted teeth etc: "Well played Australia". Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Snap of molars and incisors follows.

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I thought the signs were there in June, but 5-0 was completely unexpected. TBH even though I did enjoy being on the winning side, the whole thing was pretty disappointing in terms of close competitive games.

After the off field dramas we have bought upon ourselves in the last few years it was a refreshing change to go a whole series with-out hearing of any behaviour issues. Does go to show what the right coach can bring to the team in terms of culture and player accountability.

Agree with your comments about Cook, he was totally out captained in just about every facet by Clark. Not sure who his replacement would be though?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Neuphonix said:

Now back to the topic.

Yes I watched it, not very good series, just like the previous one that England won 3-0. Best series are the close ones not one-sided ones, thats no contest.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts