New system advice please

A

Anonymous

Sorry about that - problems with the interface...

I'm looking for some advice. I'm treating myself to a new system (will move the (very) old one to a different room) and am looking at spending about £1000, maybe a little more.

I'm going to go for a NAS and Squeezebox Touch, I think, and then spend the rest on a new amp and speakers. The Marantz 6004 is a leading contender and is readily available from a number of shops with speaker combos (e.g. the PM6004 and the Monitor Audio BX2 is available for around £500).

Firstly, does this sound like a sensible approach for a new system? I might extend the streaming to my old amp and speakers in another room but this is essentially a new system.

And, should I be more ambitious on the speakers? Is it worth going up to something like the KEF Q300 or B&W685s? This would be financially tricky... I suppose I want to know what the spread of budget should be.

(I listen to classical and pop, a bit of jazz)

Thanks all.

matthewpiano

I would agree with batonwielder but would also add the Dali Zensor 1s which are incredibly good and versatile.

For the electronics either the Marantz PM6004 or the NAD C326BEE would do a great job with the NAD being just that bit more dynamic and having just that bit of extra depth when playing big orchestral works.

The other alternative would be to look at one of the latest single-box systems. The Marantz MCR603, Denon CeOL and Sony CMT-G1 are all superb and compete very well with seperates. The Sony is particularly good value but don't be tempted to use the packaged speakers as they are a long way behind things like the Dalis, Wharfedales or Bostons. It has audio inputs to enable connection of a Squeezebox Touch. The Touch is leagues ahead of built-in streaming features such as those on the Marantz and Denon and the Sony G2 (the networked version of the G1) - the display of artwork, access to Spotify and Napster, and overall usability are very hard to beat.

A

Anonymous

I'm pretty much sold on the Squeezebox Touch. As for the budget I was assuming something like:

NAS - £200?

SBT - £200

Amp - £300 (Marantz or NAD - thanks for that suggestion)

Speakers - £300 (I have stands)

That would be a £1000. Your suggestions of speakers are in the region of £100 to £200. I had expected it to go the other way, and was trying to convince myself that it would be worth spending a little more for SQ (inevitable budget creep).

If I save on the speakers should I spend it somewhere else?

matthewpiano

Don't feel that you HAVE to spend the entire budget. I'm currently using Squeezebox Touch > NAD C326BEE > Dali Zensor 1s (with a Marantz CD63SE for disc duties) and it sounds fabulous. I do also own more expensive speakers including Quad 11Ls and Epos M5i, but the Zensor 1s are more enjoyable to listen to for me. I've owned a lot of more expensive kit than the NAD amp too, but I still feel that this is the best sounding set-up I've ever had.

Audition something at this level and then listen for yourself to see whether you feel the benefit of additional spend.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that, Matthew. Good to hear that you've had such pleasurable experiences with your system. I'll try out both the NAD and Zensor, and, yes, maybe 'save' a few quid.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts