new speakers

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
hello everyone, i have an audiolab 8000a and need new speakers. i have narrowed it down to two, epos m5 £249.00 and the q acoustics 1030 £149.00. i know there's £100.00 price difference but i do favour the epos. i do like the q's but feel that the epos would be a better all round sound bearing in mind that i will be upgrading the amp sometime soon. thanks in advance for any advice. p.s. that is my max budget.

A

Anonymous

Epos m5 are very good, but I know lots of people like the 1030s too (is it the i version?) I havn't heard either, but I would go for the m5s if you are upgrading soon and the ol' 8000a would suit those speakers very well!

Good luck!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi Greg, The Q will give you a lot of preformance for your cash. They won so many awards with many magazine including the best selling one (here, of course).

Alternatively, you will get a lot better pair of speakers for the same or similar money

Past master LINK

Even older design but was a great one LINK

Try your luck? They could be a bargain LINK

and this is a certainly a bargain even at full price LINK

good luck buddy

A

Anonymous

These are SUPERB speakers - We have a pair at school along with Arcam Alpha 9 amp and Alpha 8 CD player. Absolutly fantastic! (sorry I don't know that bb code stuff so you'll have to copy and paste!!!)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RUARK-TEMPLAR-2-BLACK-ASH-BI-WIRE-LOUDSPEAKERS_W0QQitemZ320237642411QQihZ011QQcategoryZ14993QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Hughes123"] We have a pair at school along with Arcam Alpha 9 amp and Alpha 8 CD [/quote]

Students now a day, Aren't they spoil?

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
thanks and sorry guys, i should have mentioned they have to be new, i have been banned from buying on ebay as i have 7 pairs of speakers at home 5 amps and 3 turntables plus other assorted gear that family and friends are going to take off my hands and the local youth club. i have now decided that i am going back to valve amps but thats in the distant future and a new tv is on the cards, so these speakers will be my last for a while at least 3 to 4 years maybe longer.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]
[quote user="Hughes123"] We have a pair at school along with Arcam Alpha 9 amp and Alpha 8 CD [/quote]

Students now a day, Aren't they spoil?

[/quote]

Private school ; )....I actually did something a bit silly recently, I took the covers off them to show everyone the quality of the drivers...and the tweeters got a lot of pushing...it was horrible!! I didn't know whether to strap myself to them and cry "mercy" or just play a bit of Paul Okenfold to give them a nasty shock....

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="gregory"] i should have mentioned they have to be new, i have been banned from buying on ebay as i have 7 pairs of speakers at home 5 amps and 3 turntables plus other assorted gear [/quote]

That's the way to do it mate, I am glad I'm not alone
emotion-2.gif
(no one ban me yet though....bless her)

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="gregory"]thanks and sorry guys, i should have mentioned they have to be new, i have been banned from buying on ebay as i have 7 pairs of speakers at home 5 amps and 3 turntables plus other assorted gear that family and friends are going to take off my hands and the local youth club. i have now decided that i am going back to valve amps but thats in the distant future and a new tv is on the cards, so these speakers will be my last for a while at least 3 to 4 years maybe longer.[/quote]

Wimp! :eek:) Tell her she can't buy any more shoes. I would go for the Epos on solid stands. With a budget of up to £500 I would always go for standmounts.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="gpi"]budget of up to £500 I would always go for standmounts.[/quote]

2nd that as the bass produced from cheap floorstands are normally not very tight.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
gpi, yes i suppose i have whimped out a bit, but i'm having a great time with the old girl. 28 years and counting and she's still putting up with me, but not the speakers or the amps and so on, anyway, thaiman my obsession must come to an end eventually so it's time to work out my final resting place of all things hi fi, but good news my son is still at home with me so more adventures with hi fi to come. but i must slim down and try and find my final audio nirvana. or rainbow chaser to all you older readers.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
For quality standmounts look at the longer term and PMC or AVI, plus many others. Yes they cost more but you'll be happier for longer and the smile will be wider. The Epos are good but you'll always be thinking 'what if...'. PS. 28 years for us this year.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="gregory"]i have now decided that i am going back to valve amps[/quote]
:-D Superb. There's nothing to touch them for realism IMO...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
One thing you may want to consider if you're planning to go Valves is to stick with paper coned speakers. I have rarely heard valve amplified systems sound optimal with speakers using other materials such as polymers/plastic, kevlar etc. There are reasons for that. As good as the Epos'es are, plastic drive units usually have a slight 'quack' in the midrange, a slight muddle, slightly shut in. These traits should not be overstated but can cause problems with the thermionic kind. The Epos together with others of its kind can also be rather insensitive and unless you use an amplifier with a healthy power rating probably not a good match. Good paper coned drivers are light, responsive, relatively neutral and can be made efficient enough to be used with low powered valve amplifiers. They can sound equally good with high powered ones.

Although simplified and not always accurate something to keep in mind.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]
One thing you may want to consider if you're planning to go Valves is to stick with paper coned speakers. I have rarely heard valve amplified systems sound optimal with speakers using other materials such as polymers/plastic, kevlar etc. There are reasons for that. As good as the Epos'es are, plastic drive units usually have a slight 'quack' in the midrange, a slight muddle, slightly shut in. These traits should not be overstated but can cause problems with the thermionic kind. The Epos together with others of its kind can also be rather insensitive and unless you use an amplifier with a healthy power rating probably not a good match. Good paper coned drivers are light, responsive, relatively neutral and can be made efficient enough to be used with low powered valve amplifiers but can sound equally good with high powered ones.

Although simplified and not always accurate something to keep in mind.
[/quote]
Try some Spendors ;-)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="igglebert"]Try some Spendors ;-)[/quote]

Not with valves. I know you have a new pair and I am sure they are great even though I have'nt heard them. As much as I like spendors, they need solid state grip and control.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]
[quote user="igglebert"]Try some Spendors ;-)[/quote]

Not with valves. I know you have a new pair and I am sure they are great even though I have'nt heard them. As much as I like spendors, they need solid state grip and control.
[/quote]
Duly noted. I would try the combo but the way I turn my amp on and off everyday for both music and TV use, I don't think valves would ever get shortlisted. Shame as they're soooo charming....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts