New Speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have recently dusted of my old hifi system a Arcam Delta 290p and a Arcam 290 amp these are used to power a pair of mission 752s I have upgraded the Arcam Alpha 6 to a Arcam FMJ CD36, but there does not seem to be an appreciable difference in sound from the missions. I have spoken to various dealers none actually recommend changing the amps but they do recommend changing the speakers. I have auditioned a pair of JM Labs Focal 714v, but I was wondering what else is out there in the £500-£800 bracket.

A

Anonymous

I have long held the view that speakers make the biggest difference to any system.

Personally I'd go and audition some at your local dealer. A lot of dealers will let you bring your amp and CD player with you so you get the best chance of hearing what your system will sound like with new speakers.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Welshboy I have auditioned a pair of Jm Labs Focal 716v.

T

the record spot

Perhaps, as an alternative, there just isn't too great a difference in the source sound quality? The 752s are stunning speakers and I'd be very inclined to hang on to them....they don't go bad overnight, were revealing (from memory) and very highly rated.

Have you tried several players? Source first, always (IMO), so I'd suggest checking round the houses to see what other players are out there that might meet your needs. The speakers will handle the upgrade, no danger...

EDIT: just spotted that you'd upgraded (presumably bought) the FMJ36 - okay - how about the amp instead? I mentioned on another thread that changing the amp had the biggest change for me going from an Arcam Alpha 5 (skipping the Rega Mira which offered no difference) to a Marantz 6010KI); the speakers stayed (Mission 733i floorstander) and the sound really was night and day.

Incidentally, the CD player at the time stayed too (Kenwood DP7090 - up there with the classic CD63) so plugging the 6010 was the big difference.

A

Anonymous

You could pick up a pair of Monitor Audio GS10's for that kind of money..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts