New speakers - What do you recommend?

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi

Im having an upgrade of my speakers - question is what do you think i should demo.

I have a naim setup of cdx2 with nac 122 and nap 150 currently with B&w 705 standmounts.

What would be a great audition. Musical taste is rock and metal and pop. I dont want bass overkill as it is for my bedroom.

Budget £2500

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The PMC Twenty.22 or .23 will certainly be worth looking at as they're not particularly bassy, and should work well in most rooms. I would say look at B&W's PM1 and KEF's Reference 201/2, but they may demand a little too much from the 150. Monitor Audio's PL100's will be worth an audition too.

There are plenty of others to recommend, but I think they'd be too bassy for your requirements (Dynaudio/ProAc/B&W/KEF/Monitor Audio etc).

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
The PMC 22's would be my first port of call with the Naim. The new Dali Epicon 2 is slightly beyond the budget but you would be wise to consider the Helicon 300 as well - the ribbon tweeter is lovely.

rich51080 said:
Hi

Im having an upgrade of my speakers - question is what do you think i should demo.

I have a naim setup of cdx2 with nac 122 and nap 150 currently with B&w 705 standmounts.

What would be a great audition. Musical taste is rock and metal and pop. I dont want bass overkill as it is for my bedroom.

Budget £2500

Hi rich51080

What is the size of your room?

Distance between the speakers?

Listening distance?

Will anything be in the way of the speakers?

Are your 705's stand, shelf or wall mounted?

In the meantime ATC's SCM11 or SCM19 monitors are worth bearing in mind as Naim amplification works well with ATC's monitors. In addition SCM11's and SCM19's with their closed box design and importantly flat and honest presentation helps the monitors to be placed close to walls without the bass in particualr getting itself into a twist.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
rich51080 said:
Hi

Budget £2500

Hi rich51080

Listening distance?

In the meantime ATC's SCM11 or SCM19 monitors are worth bearing in mind as Naim amplification works well with ATC's monitors. In addition SCM11's and SCM19's with their closed box design and importantly flat and honest presentation helps the monitors to be placed close to walls without the bass in particualr getting itself into a twist.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Rick, no offense, but man you have got to start carrying some other lines. ATC makes a great speaker, but the brand is way over recommended on this site. IMHO, ATCs are best in the pro arena. There are so many better choices for people just wanting music in the home.

My recommendation for the OP would be the Spendor SA-1. Great sound, easy on the bass. A very pleasant and realistic sounding speaker.

jaxwired said:
MUSICRAFT said:
rich51080 said:
Hi

Budget £2500

Hi rich51080

Listening distance?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Rick, no offense, but man you have got to start carrying some other lines. ATC makes a great speaker, but the brand is way over recommended on this site. IMHO, ATCs are best in the pro arena. There are so many better choices for people just wanting music in the home.

My recommendation for the OP would be the Spendor SA-1. Great sound, easy on the bass. A very pleasant and realistic sounding speaker.

Hi jaxwired

You've really hurt my feelings :cry: You can make it up to me though by buying ATC monitors :grin:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts