New speakers to match Cambridge Audio A5 - B&W DM601 S3?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My current system is:

Cambridge Audio A5 amp
TDL KV1 speakers (kevlar cone from Richer Sounds)
QED XT300 speaker cable
QED J2P 3.5mm to phono from the iPod Line out on the dock

With my current set up, theres a decent amount of bass - no need for a sub woofer. The treble is also fine. However, comparing this to my fathers system, its not so good. His speakers are the Mission 780SE's and they sound more "transparent" or "airy". The sound is just clearer and more defined.

I listen to a range of music, from Green Day to The Kooks to the new Kid Rock, classic rock such as AC/DC. I'd say from the odd Dance track to Indie to Rock.

Would the B&W DM601 S3 be a good upgrade? I can get a pair for only £140 online. My local shop doesnt have these so I cannot demo them before I buy. My concern is there wont be enough bass.

Will the DM601 S3's sound ok with the Cambridge Audio A5 amp?

I'm also considering the Monitor Audio BR2, how are these?

Regards

A

Anonymous

I can vouch for the MA BR2's as I had them for about a year and during this time, I had many different amps/cd players running pass them and they worked great everytime.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply, by any chance have you heard the BR2s against the likes of the DM601s?

The BR2s will cost me at least £30 more, I think I can get a 2nd hand pair for £170ish.

I should add that my room (bedroom) is on the small side, at about 3.5m by 2.5m however im listening to them along the 2.5m side. I sit about 1.5m away from the speakers as they are on one of these cheapo stands from Argos and I sit at my PC which is just out from the wall.

A

Anonymous

I've heard them against the B&W 686's and I prefer the MA BR2's. Not tested them against the older 600 series unfortunately.

A

Anonymous

I wouldn't let the blame lie purely with yourÿKV1's (they actually aren't that bad for the money) as they are quite a well rounded (on the warm side) speaker. The Cambridge and the QED cable will combine to give a bright, clinical sound. Personally QED cable can make any system sound bad, if you are not keen on a lean, bright sound.

A

Anonymous

I suppose I dont really have a problem with the way it sound now, just looking for something better, more detail, more refined. The sound at the moment certainly isn't bad, the KV1 speakers are leagues above any Gale speaker.

A

Anonymous

I've got an Arcam cd73 and A65+ amp which i used to use with a pair of B&W 601 S3's.

I always found the B&W's to be a great pair of speakers, which worked well in my relativly small room and i think £140 is a bit of a bargain. I have not had any experience of TDL or BR2's though so i can't compare

I had to go a long way to find a pair of speakers which i thiought were worth upgrading to (Proac Studio 110) and would definately recommend the B&W's based on my experience.

A

Anonymous

Ended up securing a pair of B&W DM601 S3 speakers for £122 delivered.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts